The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper/Disc/Hose change - could someone give me a hand?

AlexM

I have an immobile Supra on my drive that I really want to get ready for the Llandow track day, front brake calipers are seized and it's pretty much impossible to turn the front left wheel by hand. A very short slow drive results in both front discs and the rear right being VERY hot, so I don't want to drive it anywhere until this is sorted.

I've picked up a full set of calipers & discs from a relatively low mileage car, and also have braided hoses ready to go in. Need to pick up some fluid (from somewhere) and probably don't have all the necessary tools (I suspect my collection will be rapidly expanding :D).

Could somebody give a hand to do all this (by someone, I mean somebody who knows what they're doing!)? I'm at the mercy of the weather (and have only the standard jack) so it'd need to be someone local really, otherwise you'll just get rained on.

I live near Southam.

Dude I'd really strongly suggest using (buy/borrow) a trolley jack if you're going to work on the car, I don't trust the emergency wheel change jack at all. It could easily go very wrong, especially as you'll be working partially under the car. :eek:

I can potentially get use of a pit, if I have a set day and ask very very nicely. I did mention it in case someone has something a bit more secure though. :D

I can potentially get use of a pit, if I have a set day and ask very very nicely. I did mention it in case someone has something a bit more secure though. :D

Pit doesn't really help as you need the wheels off the ground, and you'll mostly be working from the outside of the car.

I can lend you a jack, but I'm hardly local. :(

I tackled changing my rear calipers and a full bleed on the system using the jack in the boot with no problems. I would advocate the use of a trolley jack but mine won't fit under the car very well so had to use the boot one.

As long as you keep an eye on it and put the wheel you've taken off under the car as a safety precaution should it come off the jack. I found that I wasn't really working under the car as such more within the wheel arch itself.

Hope you get it sorted soon. It really is quite easy to do.