The mkiv Supra Owners Club

news i didnt want to hear :(

L33

after a month i finally managed to collar some one to come look at my supra after it died.

sadly the feared worse has been the problem

after hoping it would just be a turbo or a head gasket, the compression test has shown very low compression, nothing on one piston, and one over 200.

also the spark plugs have melted and ruined the leads :(

have been recommended to get a whole new engine as it wil work out cheaper.

have seen a company that imports them and are ment to have 30k miles on and fully tested for 1500.

have been given a number of a place cheaper by wile, and told to check find a part but im really not happy.

i was hoping it would be some thing simple as i was not 100% if i wanted to keep the supra so have been saving to get something else but now have to spend the money fixing. half tempted to sell the car as it is but not sure what to do with out a ring round for engines. just a shame its come to this!

does any one know of a breaking supra for the tt engine or have one? or any one looking for a rolling shell with bpu parts (except boost comtroller), intercooler, boost gauge, polished cam covers, vacuum pipes and blue silicone hosing, chrome alloys, flip paint let me know.

Sorry to hear the worst Lee, but try Keron, but ring him as he doesn't always spot Pm's:rolleyes:

Don't give up on her yet, she is worth the effort;)

Think this is his mobile 07769975299

Are you still intending to to come down to visit on the Dyno at Plymouth, if so I will let you know a time at Exeter services, if you want to drive down with me and Blackie from there

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

i wil try ringing him tomo cheers 4 the number. where is he from?

not sure if i wil be at the rolling road, i have to make a trip to bornemouth which is opposite ends of the map!!

my compression results were, (starting from furthest to closest) tested twice.

1) 170 - 170

2) 230 - 200

3 off the clock - 350 then down to 290 on a 3rd test

4) 150 - 130

5) 0 - 0

6) 140 - 140

yea i wil to mo, looked on his profile and its the same number as above! not sure if i need a whole new engine or bits or a recon or what! dont know much about cars! the turbos we think are ok which is good!

the spark plugs melted which was odd! and all the electrical connectors that go onto the coil pack bits have all crumbled! :(

well so far i have sourced 3 engines,

one for 750 plus 75 postage, with 69k miles and 30 day guarantee with no turbos

one for 1000 plus 25 postage, with 39k miles and 6 month guarantee with no turbos

one for 3000 with free fitting, new with 0 miles, 6 months guarantee and a 1st 2k miles

service.

im thinking fo going for the 2nd one. just want to try and find some turbos because mine have done 90k miles so worth changing while off the car! heard some people have had problems with hybrids, i want to up the boost so was thinking mayb uk spec.

will they just bold straight on or do i need to change any thing else or buy any thing else?

well so far i have sourced 3 engines,

one for 750 plus 75 postage, with 69k miles and 30 day guarantee with no turbos

one for 1000 plus 25 postage, with 39k miles and 6 month guarantee with no turbos

one for 3000 with free fitting, new with 0 miles, 6 months guarantee and a 1st 2k miles

service.

im thinking fo going for the 2nd one. just want to try and find some turbos because mine have done 90k miles so worth changing while off the car! heard some people have had problems with hybrids, i want to up the boost so was thinking mayb uk spec.

will they just bold straight on or do i need to change any thing else or buy any thing else?

I would get written proof on where the engine came from. Its not unheard of for a supra to end up on its roof and engines dont like running upside down. They pull it out of the car and sell it as a good one and hope it survives. Not saying that engine is one of those, but its best to check its history.

JB

after a month i finally managed to collar some one to come look at my supra after it died.

sadly the feared worse has been the problem

after hoping it would just be a turbo or a head gasket, the compression test has shown very low compression, nothing on one piston, and one over 200.

also the spark plugs have melted and ruined the leads :(

have been recommended to get a whole new engine as it wil work out cheaper.

have seen a company that imports them and are ment to have 30k miles on and fully tested for 1500.

have been given a number of a place cheaper by wile, and told to check find a part but im really not happy.

i was hoping it would be some thing simple as i was not 100% if i wanted to keep the supra so have been saving to get something else but now have to spend the money fixing. half tempted to sell the car as it is but not sure what to do with out a ring round for engines. just a shame its come to this!

WHAT ever you do not rush your search for an engine. i was going to buy one of those £1500 engines when i blew mine but i spent 1-2 months looking around and i found somebody who sold me a good, actually brilliant engine. it was very very clean inside, it had only had 27,000 miles on it fully guaranteed and waranteed and you know the best bit - it only cost me £730! the guy wasnt desparate for money but was too over stocked on parts and simply didnt have much space for it.

WHAT ever you do not rush your search for an engine. i was going to buy one of those £1500 engines when i blew mine but i spent 1-2 months looking around and i found somebody who sold me a good, actually brilliant engine. it was very very clean inside, it had only had 27,000 miles on it fully guaranteed and waranteed and you know the best bit - it only cost me £730! the guy wasnt desparate for money but was too over stocked on parts and simply didnt have much space for it.

Nice one,has he got another for me:)

no i dont!

well i ordered a engine today, came to 1200 delivered, and thats a year cover on it. should be good, and has 40k miles which comes with proven docs!

now im looking for turbos. its between recon jspec or hybrid. think im going to go hybrid tho because then i can up the boost and do a few more mods.

so next question, is there good gain with hybrids? whats the limit for boost? is it 1.4 same as uk spec? and do they just bolt straight on? ive read some people have had trouble with hybrids so im a little worried, i want to get mine from envy so they should be good. i got 2 weeks b4 my engine swap starts so i got til then to choose which route for turbos!

envy hybrids are £1300, stock recon are a lot less but obviously not as strong performance wise

do i need a remap after fitting them or is it fine until i want to do the remap etc