The mkiv Supra Owners Club

roof scoop

Guest david

They do nothing, they look stupid/ricer, you might as well have 'owner has no taste' vinyls slapped on the car. ... IMO :D

ok get the point might forget about that one then

I like them, and Im surprised about the ricer comments regarding them. To me the bonnet scoop could be considered rice, ok on a factory car I know they 'aid' cooling to the turbo's, but its not really needed, no J-Spec runs with a bonnet scoop, so that could be considered more cosmetic then of actual use.

I have a bonnet scoop fitted, but I didnt have it cut through the bonnet to vent in more air into the engine bay as all my pipe work is polished and chromed and I didnt want more water and dirt getting in, but I like the look.

I have tried to get hold of those roof scoops before but failed, if I could get hold of one though, I certainly wouldnt let anyone elses opinion on here sway me ;) Why would you not do something that you personally like because a few on here give it a bad comment. Come on people, lets not all have the same look cars because everyone follows the masses ;)

where can i get a roof scoop for a supra i do like the look of them.what do you lot think and do they actually do anything.

The purpose of roof vents in rally cars is where they don't have aircon or insulation and the aesthetic values are not a consideration only functional ones, plus they are usually the only form of ventilation inside the car, so if you want to have a functional working roof vent then you can buy one here:-

http://www.absmotorsport.net/universal-roof-vents-c-254_278.html They offer four types to choose from.

But if you do then you will get all kinds of c@@p,insects and rain etc coming in the car at head height plus screwing up the climate control! (maybe you could also wear a helmet whilst driving for the full effect):eyebrows:

If you just want the 'look' then personally I wouldn't bother as it will spoil the lines of the cars and cause wind resistance over the roof and make terrible wind noise! - if you can live with all that then go ahead as its you cash at the end of the day but also consider the resale value of your Supra will drop through the floor!!:innocent:

Edited by Tee from China (see edit history)

I like them, and Im surprised about the ricer comments regarding them. To me the bonnet scoop could be considered rice, ok on a factory car I know they 'aid' cooling to the turbo's, but its not really needed, no J-Spec runs with a bonnet scoop, so that could be considered more cosmetic then of actual use.

I have a bonnet scoop fitted, but I didnt have it cut through the bonnet to vent in more air into the engine bay as all my pipe work is polished and chromed and I didnt want more water and dirt getting in, but I like the look.

I have tried to get hold of those roof scoops before but failed, if I could get hold of one though, I certainly wouldnt let anyone elses opinion on here sway me ;) Why would you not do something that you personally like because a few on here give it a bad comment. Come on people, lets not all have the same look cars because everyone follows the masses ;)

I must say I read your post and am somewhat confused! You say that you consider bonnet vents rice yet you have one and not even a functioning one either! - what was/is the point or is it just a 'boy racer' thing?

You have gotta be drunk? they are awefull:D

If you are going to do anything like this, I think it needs to be an 'all or nothing' scheme. The Eclipse in F&F looks good because the styling is worked into the entire look. If you just buy things here and there for your car - you'll end up with a chavvy halfrauds looking shed... You don't wanna do that to a Supe!!

I'd personally say, leave styling like that to a tuning company, or Hollywood! They have the money to throw at cars to try different looks and get proffesionals involved in the design... We don't. I'm sure there are plenty more things you can spend money on for your Supe which will be more subtle, but a lot mre effective!

I just read a post about replacing the yellowed J-spec headlights with the glass UK headlights, was around £250 and made a huge difference! To get something like a roof-scoop installed you'd need it blending in to the roof, respraying, etc which will cost a good few hundred, then it could always get damaged and need fixing/replacing like most bodykits!

Plus, like Tee said... The resale value of your car will be very low and only attract a very small amount of people!