The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear F1s, Falken 452s or Toyo T1Rs?

My Supra's just failed it's MOT on 3 tyres so I thought now's the time to get rid of the dodgy Nankangs that I got with a set of wheels I bought second hand and go for something better.

The wheels are 18" Hijoin Dynamics and at the moment they are running Nankang Ultra Sport NS IIs (235/40ZR18 91W on front and 265/35/ZR18 93W on the rear). The car is a jspec 94' NA.

I want something that won't wear out in 5000 miles but also that's good in the wet as the Nankangs are terrible.

Reading on here a lot of people seem to recommend Goodyear Eagle F1s, Falken 451s/452s and Toyo T1Rs.

Anyone got any advice about those 3 or any other tyre please including cheapest place to get them from? Any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks,

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a set of F452's, and the grip is pretty good but didnt give me 100% confidence in the twistys. Wet grip is pretty good too, but still fun when you want it to be. :)

Although due to them being slashed before wearing them in (less than 1000 miles) I didnt get the best I could have out of them. Since it's time to change though I will be going for a set of Pirelli Pzero's or Michelin Pilot Sports. Heard these are the way forward if you have the budget.

Nothing wrong with Falken tyres i have use 451 and 452 on high power cars, and continue to do so, i have no issues with grip either wet or dry, and have always been impressed with the grip levels, don't forget that grip has a lot to do with your driving style, and I'll say no more on that;) Falken wouldn't race an R34 with 451s if they didn't have confidence in them.

I'm running the falken 452's on my single turbo and I'm having no problems with them at all. They don't grip as well as the goodyears but they also don't wear the edges as bad as the goodyears do. They also don't grip anywhere near as good as pirrelli p zero nero's but they last at least 3 times longer so far and are half the price. As an all round decent tyre for a reasonable price I'd thoroughly recommend the 452's. Don't know anything about the toyo's as never used them. I can also say that I like the bridgestone potenzas.

I always swore by Michelin Pilot Sports and have them on Eve's Supe and they are good but I now have 452s on my single (GT67) and when I went to Knockhill a while back I intended using my track wheels with shaved victoracers but due to the torrential rain ended up using the 452s and was so impressed with how they handled the wet track I would recommend them to anyone for a good allround road tyre that should last a while.

Guest dangerousandy

I have Bridgestones on my Supra, But I run a set of Falkens on my Celica and they are excellent all round tyres. I would go with the Falkens as they are probably the best value for money. I had F1's on the Supra before the Bridgestones and they were a real dissapointment.

I would also recommend the 452's!

Just had a set put on the rear of my car, which replaced Pirelli P7000's which lasted 4 months!!

But on first impressions the Falken's grip so much better as the Pirelli's just used to spin up as soon as the 2nd turbo came in so i would say Falken's!!!

Depending on where you are Elite Direct in Essex is the cheapest place i could find and their laser tracking is spot on!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I like the sound of the Falkens at the mo.

I've also had an offer of 4 part worn tyres from a friend of a friend who works at a tyre place.

Continental contact sport 2s for the front (apparently almost no wear on them at all)

and Avon ZZ3s on the rear (about 6 1/2 mm left), all fitted for £200.

Mixing front and rears? Is this a BIG no no?

Cheers again guys.

Get some prices on Dunlop Sp9000's. I have them all round on the NA and it grips like sh!t to a blanket.

The Falken 452's came a close second when I was doing my homework on replacement tyres.

Personally I would not mix the tyres as the difference in grip between th front and rear can never be good IMO.....;)

H.

I've not used the Falkens, so I couldn't comment on them.

Goodyear Eafle F1 GSD3's are a good summer tyre. Excellent grip in the dry and good progressive grip upto the limit in the wet. No nasty snap oversteer, they let you know what they're upto. I wouldn't recommend them as a winter tyre however, they need heat in them to work well and I always felt like I was on tiptoes in them when the salt went down on the roads.

I like the Toyos best having used them. Good dry grip, excellent wet weather performance and a better year round trye than the Goodyear.

(from Kumhos- good value tyres btw)

My supe had Kuhmos on it when I bought it. H had far more grip than me on some Welsh roads though thanks to his

Dunlop Sp9000's.

I now have Bridgeston RE050 Potenzas and the grip levels are so much better. I've done >6k miles on them too and they've still got loads of life left in them.