The mkiv Supra Owners Club

has my supra ownership come to an end?

creative

well gents, I've just had a nighmare of a night.

I have nicely parked my supra in the middle of what can only be called a lake on the way home from work late last night :(

the water was above the level of the doors so the car now has about 2 inches of water in the cabin. Got her towed out and on a slope to drain the exhaust of water and managed to get it running. Wasnt firing on all cylinders and alot of white smoke out the exhaust.

Had a look under the bonnet today and there are water deposits in the oil. It hasnt been driven anywhere due to not knowing what state the box is in but its now in the hands of the insurance company and been shipped to my mate at Toyota in Barnsley to await its fate.

gutted is an understatement and I hope it can be repaired. If not and they write it off, I may buy it back and fix it myself..... but I will have to wait and see.

:(:(:(:(

well if they write it off it would only be a cat D, no crash damage which is good i guess. But i guess a new interior and carpets would be needed? unless you can rescue them by removing them and running them over with a carpet cleaner vac.

The engine and stuff im not sure. im sure it isnt the end of the world.

em... how did it end up in a lake?

quiet, unlit back road in torrential rain at 40mph. the water started just around a bend and before i knew it I was in the middle so split second decision was to try and make it or stall earlier.... I could see the other side so went for it.. unfortunately it got VERY deep! :rolleyes:

im not too worried about it getting repaired or written off as its in good hands at my mates and I know I will come out with a better car at the end but just got to see how much its gonna cost me or the insurance..

was amusing as when I was pulled out and back up the hill, the police went back down to it to put signs up etc and found a brand new merc that had come the other way sat in the middle..:D that made me feel a bit better! And his wouldnt even try to start...:taped:

just spoken to my mate who has confirmed the car has arrived at his work. thats a good start at least! he seems pretty optimistic as well from the symptoms I have described. He will be doing the diagnostics on it on Monday, so I know I will get an honest report back so will have to wait and see if I can call the insurance hounds off or not!

glad I hadn't got round to putting the kit on yet as well...

well I have had the phone call from the garage... and it lives! took them 2 hours to get it running but hes been out for a test drive and all is well. compression test showed no signs of internal damage and the water didn't get into the gearbox.

a few electrical problems and the interior is a bit worse for wear but it shouldnt be written off. just need to get the insurance to hurry up and get it fixed!

well I have had the phone call from the garage... and it lives! took them 2 hours to get it running but hes been out for a test drive and all is well. compression test showed no signs of internal damage and the water didn't get into the gearbox.

a few electrical problems and the interior is a bit worse for wear but it shouldnt be written off. just need to get the insurance to hurry up and get it fixed!

'Insurance company' and 'hurry' don't belong in the same sentance. I have been waiting just over 2 weeks for them to replace my windscreen but it still hasn't been done! I've had to do all the work chasing them too! :(

I really do hope you have better luck than me and that it's sorted pronto! :)

At least they didn't write it off, thats where the problems start!

I hope I am not the bearer of bad new but from my Mk3 Supra experience whenever water gets into the oil (Blown HG usually) the big ends go withing a few throusand miles as well. Maybe you are better to seek more advise and not take a hasty conclusion in case there is a longer term problem.

Hope you do get it sorted.

Chris

never ever put down a toyota! remember the Toyota Hilux from the Top Gear episode? that was in water for 5 hours. supras have soul, she will be back dont you worry!

Well said! Just add's to the history. Nothing's easy with these, but well worth it!

Sorry to hear about your supe, but glad shes running again :)

I'm suprised you have faith in the guys that work at Pentagon Toyota Barnsley because whenever I go down there for parts they don't seem to know what I'm talking about! ("Supra? Is that same as the celica GT4?") :blink:

So whos your mate down there? I might just ask for him next time I'm down their buying something

. Maybe you are better to seek more advise and not take a hasty conclusion in case there is a longer term problem.

Its not been a hasty conclusion. Its had the full diagnostics done on it today and I could in theroy have the car back in 2 days if i cancel the claim, but I also have the recovery cost to think about and theres a few things I can have done at the same time that need attention...:sly:

Sorry to hear about your supe, but glad shes running again :)

I'm suprised you have faith in the guys that work at Pentagon Toyota Barnsley because whenever I go down there for parts they don't seem to know what I'm talking about! ("Supra? Is that same as the celica GT4?") :blink:

So whos your mate down there? I might just ask for him next time I'm down their buying something

That suprises me fella. I get all my parts from there without a problem. My mate is one of their chief mechs there and ive asked only him to work on the car. He does all the assessments and diagnostics on anything that comes in.... and he knows his toyota's! hes been with them for about 8 years now and I have every faith in his work.

Its not been a hasty conclusion. Its had the full diagnostics done on it today and I could in theroy have the car back in 2 days if i cancel the claim, but I also have the recovery cost to think about and theres a few things I can have done at the same time that need attention...:sly:

I was trying to say that water in the sump MAY cause a problem that is only evident in the longer term. If you settle now there MAY be a chance that something big crops up later. I would ask others on here what the possibility of water in the sump could do longer term.

its going to be drained and refilled with fresh fluids anyway so im not worried about that. The main thing being was it was hydrolocked or bent something inside and needing a new engine. Bye bye car if that was the case. The pressure tests came back healthy as did a couple of other tests he did. just the interior to sort out with the insurance company as thats, how did he put it..."a little bit rank!" its all been drained but the damage has been done on that score...

well guys the inspection report is in aaaaaannnd...

I now no longer have a supra :(

CatB write of due to the water. needs a full interior and its got some electrical problems that are showing their heads. The water has got everywhere!

they have 0ffered £2600 which isnt actually bad 94 sz with 110k on the clock but I would like some more to cover the SSR professor sp1 alloys so time to do some research!

Im absolutely gutted tbh as I was just starting to get it how I wanted it but I shall be sticking around and looking for another one. :thumbs:

Thats terrible! It is to all intents and purposes a running car. I hope youre gonna buy it back, should need minimal work to get it ship shape (no pun intended lol) :)

I asked that and they wont allow me to due to it being a CatB. reason for the high catagory is down to the fact its flood water and may have contaminates in it.

the offer is a little low having looked so will be pushing for £3.5 I think as it had full tein suspension, the SP1's on as well...

its just sinking in really that I've just lost my pride and joy! :(:(