The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Detailed photos of RB26 engines in MKIV's?

Chris Wilson

Seems a lot of work for little gain, but I think he just fancies a change and to do something different. Doubt it will happen once it's costed up, but if it fits without TOO much grief... I would envisage the R33 GTS-t manual box would be used, so that's a straight bolt on gearbox swap. At least the turbo downpipes and stuff are away from the steering on this swap. Not sure about plenum V brake servo clearances, or how the engine mounts would be in relation to the MKIV X-member pick up points, or sump clearance.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Think he's saying "It will be interesting to see if it runs any better with the RB engine"

Well even though the 2jZ and the Rb came from the same design process, i'm of the impression that the RB26 is a much revver engine and is a better performer than the 2JZ (i know thats a naughty thing to say on the mkiv site but.. :D)

Have to wait and see :) might not suite the RW drive of the supra?!

Well even though the 2jZ and the Rb came from the same design process, i'm of the impression that the RB26 is a much revver engine and is a better performer than the 2JZ (i know thats a naughty thing to say on the mkiv site but.. )

Have to wait and see might not suite the RW drive of the supra?!

It has less torque, comparing two the same turbo setups the 2JZ would win as it has more displacement, torque being the result

If your comparing the Mines skyline to the Amuse Supra, yes the skyline is far more rev happy, but then it should be as it had a full engine rebuild, whereas the amuse sup only had uprated turbos and cams an RB30 would be more suited to a JA80

Well even though the 2jZ and the Rb came from the same design process, i'm of the impression that the RB26 is a much revver engine and is a better performer than the 2JZ (i know thats a naughty thing to say on the mkiv site but.. :D)

Have to wait and see :) might not suite the RW drive of the supra?!

I don't know why you think the RB is a better performer than the 2jz. To get big power from an Rb, it nees a complete rebuild. Some Americans have tuned thier 2jzs to over 1000hp on the standard bottom end APPARENTLY (god knows how long it will last at that power level though).

From what i've read, the general concensus from tuners is that the 2jz is superior.

Anyone any detailed photos or info on RB26 into MKIV shells (2 WD , nothing stupendous like 4WD conversion attempts :))? Got a customer with a nice RB26 I built him and a crashed R34, he fancies putting it in a MKIV. Thanks.

I don't have any pics or specific details, though I can tell you it was top secret who dropped an RB into the MKIV:

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/jgallery.shtml

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f62/top-secret-wangan-195441/

Top Secret engine sits VERY high, they even had to use a water header tank as the engine top waterways are higher than the rad... Doesn't inspire me as a good fit, probably due to the stock RB fitment being laid on its side, and sump clearance issues, probably needs dry sumping to sit it lower, which is going to be well off the budget.

Doesn't the little 3S-GTE engine sit well though? :) That'll do wonders for the handling.

Thanks for the links.

Top Secret engine sits VERY high, they even had to use a water header tank as the engine top waterways are higher than the rad... Doesn't inspire me as a good fit, probably due to the stock RB fitment being laid on its side, and sump clearance issues, probably needs dry sumping to sit it lower, which is going to be well off the budget.

Doesn't the little 3S-GTE engine sit well though? :) That'll do wonders for the handling.

Thanks for the links.

From what I've read on the 3SGTE in the Surpa, it sits WAYYY back. Makes the car almost mid engined. Would make a hell of a track car.

Yep:

Engine

*3s-GTE

HKS Forged piston 87mm

HKS Conrods

HKS forged crank shaft 2.2L

Special GT Block

Port modification In and Ex both

Valve guide

Special Valve spring

titanium retainer

HKS 272 cam in and ex