The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally it's getting some TLC.

Mike M

So, after changing my mind as many times about selling the sup and almost going for a new shape Lexus GS I've decided to keep it and sort some of the bits that are bothering me.

Anyway it all started with a visit to the paint shop for a litre of red and before I knew it I was away with some stunning spangly wheel paint.:D

So its all started with the scabby wheels. (they werent too bad but looked abit shabby with a few scuffs)

Bit of a rub down and three coats of spangly basecoat later.

Then a few coats of 2K laquer.

Sorry no pics of them on the car yet but they look good on it against the red.

So next is the dash to get some proper 2K laquer over the black paint, then once I get some free time next week the wings, bumper , drivers door and skirts are getting some fresh red.

Might need to attend to some surface rust at the tailgate hinges and windscreen scuttle too but looking forward to getting into it.:)

Cheers

Mike

Cheers guys, Yip done the caps too.:)

Not sure on the paint manufacturer, could be MIPA. Anyway its code is:- 61-098.

I'll ask the guys at the paint shop next time i'm in cos I need some decent thinners for the bodywork.

It's quite funny, the g'fs just bought a Yaris T sport and got a couple of hundred quid off it since its wheels are scabby, wonder what i'm going to doing more of:rolleyes:

:D,

Depends how badly kerbed they are, mine had a few scrapes that I smoothed down making them look better but not totally invisible. I think some wheel places will weld new material onto badly damaged rims. I did mine over two days, one side a day but only spent a few hours a day on them.

if your gonna do them, make sure you let all the air out the tyres before masking round the rim, that way the tyre has relaxed off the wheel abit making life easier.

Edited by Mike M (see edit history)

Started work on the bodywork today, was certainly apprehensive at making a start but im becoming happier as the job progresses.

Anyway a few pics from today.

This morning I stripped off the skirts, removed most things from the door and popped the bumper off at the one side.

In the 1st two pics the paint was rubbed down and all the loose paint removed with chips smoothed over as much as possible.

1st Dusty coat of primer and bad areas smoothed out.

Then the final coat of primer and thats as far as today goes.:)

Thinking about removing the OEM skirts and going back to bone stock. What do reckon? I'm fed up with them rubbing the paint away in places and collecting muck along the sills.

Anyway hopefully tomorrow will see some red on then got to do the wing mirror, sill and pod if i'm not fitting the skirts.

Cheers:)

Mike

Well its been a frustrating day, damn paint I had matched by the paint shop looks far to red so had to leave the paint with them to fiddle with the colour. Hopefully pick it up tomorrow and blast the car again.

Couple of pics anyway:-

Good shine but poor match:taped:

So decided to fix that common rust spot under the windscreen,

This is what I was presented with after removing the scuttle panel. Not too bad at least.

Used what was left in the gun of the crap match paint, least it wont be noticeable.

Roll on tomorrow.:(

Do the whole car it will look amazing.

LOL, stop tempting me i've already worked out in my head how much paint i'd need, what i'd need to strip off the car and roughly two weeks solid graft without feckups.:D

Anyway heres a few more pics with the adjusted paint, still looks out from the rear 1/4 but its better. Spent late last night flattening and cutting. Also no polish or wax has been put on yet just the bare paint in the pics.

Here's a pic of the colour difference,

I feel like a challenge though,would have to be October and I'd use basecoat paint with 2K laquer. Would need to buy a polisher as I was knackered just doing that door.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to dye the carpet today using a dark grey dye becaue I wanted to be different from the usual black.:D

So heres the old scabby grey one,

gave it a good hoover and carpet foamed some dirty spots before letting it dry off.

I bought two 500ml aerosols from this place,

http://www.carchem.co.uk/aerosols.htm

and ended up with this.

So easy to do with the spray cans but I could have been doing with a 3rd can but i'm still happy with the outcome.

Also replaced the driverside inertia belt as mine was frayed and made a spinning noise going over bumps. Thanks to CarlM for the parts. Cheers Mate.:) still to replace the window regulator.