The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra MK5?

Chiefgroover

The following info came to a mate of mine at a meeting via Carlos Goshn (not sure on that name spelling) CEO of Nissan Europe

Apparantly Lexus have abandoned the LFA. Too many problems after testing at the ring, everything from cooling to chassis.

Sources in Toyota Japan have told Nissan friends that all the new sports car development is going into the next Supra instead. They are out to whip the GTR and hope to release it in 3 to 4 years time. C.G. said "We will rule the world for a few years with the GTR, but after that you can expect the new Supra to overtake us".

So.......info coming from a good source looks like Toyota now will put a lot of effort into the next Supra, however it could end up like the LFA?

I hope they do produce it, as I want one :)

Edited by Chiefgroover (see edit history)

I hope they do build another Supra, ill be very tempted to buy one if they can keep it under 60k to compete with the skyline but only if they make it a proper manual, i hate them clutch less paddle cars.

I have to have a clutch i can dump;)

Come on Jamie, clutches are old hat now, if the GTR would'nt have benifited from its flappy paddle shifts then it wouldnt have been added :)

Guest Angry Koala

I'm interested to hear this as Toyota recently announced they had abandoned both the new Supra and the new Land Cruiser projects.

Part of the story below.

"Toyota's lineup is already expected to get more fuel-efficient in the coming years, thanks to more fuel-efficient engines, a new Prius, the abandonment of the Supra project, and the eventual death of the FJ Cruiser. Now Justin Ward, advanced powertrain program manager at the Japanese automaker’s Technical Center, has said his employer is confident that it'll have hybrid models in every product line by 2020, reports Automotive News."

Lexus have taken the LF-A back to the drawing board as the Nurburgring lap times at the 24h race were so disappointing - nothing under 9 minutes..... but the plan according to Lexus is for it still to go into production (but only when they are confident it will out perform the GT-R due to it costing twice as much....)

I hope they have changed their minds but it would be a hell of a U-turn!

I wouldn't rush to assume anything yet - the LF-A wasn't hitting the top speed target so needed some aero tweaking (as more power was not allowed by the board).

The times at the Nurbergring from the race arn't comparable with the time attacks they do as the 24hr race includes parts of the new circuit not used in the TA's. I would assume that that rumour was put fwd by someone who really, stupidly, thought it couldn't manage a sub 9min lap on the TA track....we know it's in the 7's on that track...

The intrigue here is why Nissan/Renault boss CARLOS GHOSN, would chose to comment about Toyota/Lexus' forthcoming projects...

IMO, the LFA was planned in line with toyota's success in formula 1. but toyota (in the past few years) have not been doing very well in formula 1. so no release of any super car as they have nothing to brag about in conjunction with their f1 technology.

having said that, toyota have been doing very well this year and have been very consistant in their performance which i am not too sure they planned to do so well this year so who knows with any future plans of supra (or similar).....:search:

IMO it gives cars like the supra a few years for the value to pick up again after this credit crunch were in the middle of. i like the idea of a new supra but i read somewhere they would rather stick in a big V8 with about 15mpg as they wanted to attract more yanks? plus all this "going green" just pisses me off- most people who own gass guzzling supercars or "grand tourers"... only drive them on weekends or dry days (bout 5 a year) so why stop making them? its the chelsea tractors doing most the polluting!

Guest Specialized

So if a new MKV supra comes out, what will it do to the price of the mkiv? Do we think it will realisticly go up, or prehaps go down?

I'm guessing toyota arn't going to give a definate yes or no uncase it goes pearshaped, they cba etc?

So if a new MKV supra comes out, what will it do to the price of the mkiv? Do we think it will realisticly go up, or prehaps go down?

I'm guessing toyota arn't going to give a definate yes or no uncase it goes pearshaped, they cba etc?

They wont go up, i rekon supra price's will go the way Cosworths have done, they have stayed the same price for the last 10 years near enough.

Don't belive that for a minute, theres been too much time and effort gone into the LF-A, and why were they still demo'ing it at the motorshow... one thing that wasnt there was that Supra concept.. which also backs up the story I posted last month about the Supra project being cancelled.