The mkiv Supra Owners Club

intercooler sizing

bigbloodyturbo

Maybe some of you guys can help me out here. I have an intercooler in the garage and its pretty big, its nearly 34" from end to end and 11" tall. My question is will this fit a stock bumper'd supra. I've seen big greddy FMIC's fitted and they look similar in size. My second question is about the piping, the inlet and outlet are 3", would you recommend running 3" piping the whole way round or using a reducer to take it down to 2.5"? any help would be great.

good stuff, so i'll use a reducer for the turbo side and run 2.5" there, then run straight 3" from the intake side to the throttle body. The core is about 4" thick 12" tall and roughly just under 30" wide. These are just rough estimates as its still wrapped up. Is this pretty standard? when i layed it up to the front of the car and took some measurements it looked to big for a stock bumper

it will be a cheapo ebay pipe kit that i will be using, cant justify greddy or hks piping kits at the price they charge for them. I think i'm going to go 2.5" the whole way through with two reducers, your comment on whether the 3" would fit got me worried! i'm only going bpu+ and the only reason i'm going with an FMIC is because my SMIC crapped out. Whatever time i go single i can replace it with 3" then.

Usual core width is 24". If anything it may be a bit wide for the Supra, you'll have to see if you can get the pipework to fit at each end. Get the intercooler ducted though, my cheapo XS-Power was OK when ducted, switched to a Greddy 4-Row and didn't feel the difference I was expecting (indicating the XS was doing a fair old job)

i think i will have quite a bit of head scratching to do to make it fit and get it ducted, from what i can see the standard bumper 'mouth' is appropriately narrow so i can get some good expansion with proper ducting before the airflow gets to the cooler. I can only try! thanks for the help, if i can get it to fit i'll ressurect the thread and post photos of what had to be cut away for anyone interested.

yeah the kits on ebay come with the silicon couplers but i'm going to source couplers from somewhere else as i dont really trust the ebay efforts. Proper silicon high temp jobs from turbobits are only £4.95 each anyway so not worth the risk of of them blowing off, especially as the ebay pipes aren't beaded, going to try and knock up a beading tool on the lathe for that.