The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this Wheel hop? How to fix?

jevansio

When pulling away or accellerating in the wet the wheels light up & start to judder, is this wheel hop?

I run 34 PSI in the rears (295/30/19 R888's).

I am right in thinkng the following will help illimenate it:

1) New TRD engine mounts

2) New TRD gearbox mounts

3) New solid rear subframe mounts

4) The Ian C FAQ full suspension arm replacement

5) New wheel bearings

6) Full geometry setup & corner balancing

Is there anything I have missed, or anything there that is unecessary. I know the 19's aren't helping but I just cannot bear to get rid of the wheels as I love them so much :D

It's quite loud & you can feel it in the cabin, it feels quite voilent.

I've just tried my suspension on full soft then hard & although slightly better on soft it is still present.

It does this in the dry too on hard launches (when I was practicing them for TOTB), in the wet you just have to push the loud pedal in 2nd & the wheels light up then start hopping.

It seems worse when the wheels have just broke traction too & when you're just past the edge of traction, keep the accelerator down (as long as I can keep the car straight) & it goes. Also it's not really noticable in 1st, more so in 2nd & 3rd.

Might be well off here mate but are you sure its the rear wheels and not coming up through the clutch i get the same in first sometimes if i dont balance the revs and clutch just right

No I'm not sure at all Wayne but I don't think so. Thing is it happens when the clutch is fully engaged ie I'm in 2nd gear cruising, I squeeze the accelerator, power builds to the point it breaks traction, then the noise/vibration occur at that exact moment. It also sounds/feels as if it's coming from the rear

Jay

When horsepower is suddenly delivered to the differential, whether from a clutch or a torque converter, the pinion attempts to "climb" the ring gear. This sudden shock of torque causes the entire rear axle housing to rotate backwards in a counter-clockwise direction. This causes the springs to distort, resulting in severe driveshaft/U-joint misalignment.

This link may help explain 'Wheel Hop' http://www.competitionengineering.com/articles/chassis2.asp

When i got wheel hop at pod i dropped wheel pressure which seemed to work :) my thinking was the tyre wall would absorb some of the pressure that's being delivered on launch not the diff. don't know if it's right but did the trick that day.

Didn't have same problem at York :) may be because of different surface, did you get it at TOTB?

Only running 8 bar pressure may not be good on road though :)

I had the same on my old car. Super grippy tyre's help, but thats no real solution for a road car used in all weathers

I replaced all the dampers, springs and some of the suspension but it made little difference, the only item that came out was that the diff had too much back lash, which Mark @ Pheonix thought could have been one of the issues.

Jay

When horsepower is suddenly delivered to the differential, whether from a clutch or a torque converter, the pinion attempts to "climb" the ring gear. This sudden shock of torque causes the entire rear axle housing to rotate backwards in a counter-clockwise direction. This causes the springs to distort, resulting in severe driveshaft/U-joint misalignment.

This link may help explain 'Wheel Hop' http://www.competitionengineering.com/articles/chassis2.asp

When i got wheel hop at pod i dropped wheel pressure which seemed to work :) my thinking was the tyre wall would absorb some of the pressure that's being delivered on launch not the diff. don't know if it's right but did the trick that day.

Didn't have same problem at York :) may be because of different surface, did you get it at TOTB?

Only running 8 bar pressure may not be good on road though :)

Cheers Gaz, will read that at work tomorrow. Funnily I didn't get it at TOTB, I only seem to get it on normal roads (at TOTB I was running 27 PSI as opposed to my usual 34 PSI though)

I had the same on my old car. Super grippy tyre's help, but thats no real solution for a road car used in all weathers

I replaced all the dampers, springs and some of the suspension but it made little difference, the only item that came out was that the diff had too much back lash, which Mark @ Pheonix thought could have been one of the issues.

So will a TRD diff help?

What condition are your diff bushes in? (The two that mount the rear of the diff to the subframe) If these are badly worn it would certainly contribute to wheel hop.

I've no idea, they'll be on the car from new so 11 year old wear I guess. I'll add them to my list :)

What condition are your diff bushes in? (The two that mount the rear of the diff to the subframe) If these are badly worn it would certainly contribute to wheel hop.

:yeahthat: Worn diff bushes are usually a big contributing factor, if you're getting wheel hop then this will only wear the bushes even more. New OEM diff bushes should help as would replacing any tired rear suspension components.

Give me a shout Jay if I can help with anything.

:yeahthat: Worn diff bushes are usually a big contributing factor, if you're getting wheel hop then this will only wear the bushes even more. New OEM diff bushes should help as would replacing any tired rear suspension components.

Give me a shout Jay if I can help with anything.

You know I will bud :D