The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Geometry Set-up

CarlT67

Today I traveled up to Wheels-inmotion, in Chesham to get a full geometry calibration done. Something I knew needed doing to my car as I was getting some rather interesting tyre wear on the front wheels.

I chose Wheels in motion after seeing RyanG's thread Here.

All I can say is wow, the service was brilliant I can recommend these guys enough. Top blokes who know there stuff and take the time to take you through what they are doing and how it all works.

My Supra now drives like a different car, the predictability and response/feel through the corners is something else.

And all this for 85+vat...! For a modification/alteration for your car that you can't actually see, you can certainly feel it.

Heres some pictures of their top notch facility and my car on the ramp :)

Did/do they do corner weighting or not? (Can only be done if you have height adjustable suspension.)

Not sure about corner weighting, on mine they took....

Camber

Caster

Toe

Thrust angle

The Body in relation to chasis

Curb to Curb and track circle

Body to wheel offsets

And ride height for each suspension leg.

Further details can be found on their website...

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

That place is only up the rd from me, how long did it take him to set it up?

Just over an hour, this includes YOU taking your car for a blast up the road and back, and on coming back they check the tyre temp is even across the tyre. Same temp means even tyre contact and wear..!

As this place is only up the road and you are thinking about getting it done, I would thoroughly recommend it, will keep you in a straighter line during rolling burnouts ;)

Thats a good price for what they provide. I wonder if it may be worth a diversion on the AFR day?

Its a fixed price also, 'no time penalties' were the guys exact words, say if their is a bolt they cant undo or something they wont charge extra for the time taken to sort it.

An hour?! That is suspiciously quick. Everything you adjust alters everything else you are trying to fix to a certain value, so you can't just set then move on to then move on to (or whatevre order), you're conmtinually checking and rechecking.

I know I paid a LOT more than this at Centre Gravity but I also know what was involved (as I watched/volunterily helped) - and Chris there is an absoulte perfectionist and wouldn't cut any corners - I just don' see how the job could have been dspeeded up at all. Even if nothing was seized it would have been at least a 3 hour procedure at C.G.

EDIT: I guess if they simply set the ride height, and left it at that (no corner weighting), that would save a lot of time - but it's not a good idea. Hmm.

Have you got any printouts of before/after?

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

I've had both my cars set up here.

Supra Twin Turbo

MX5 BBR Turbo

and they are fantastic, great people, great set up and both cars are vastly improved as a result

SteveR, in answer to your thinking it was a bit quick, there machine gives real time read outs as they adjust the suspension, so they can see what effect they are having on all the other settings as they adjust it, so I guess that saves them some time, also, my supra took 1.5 hours.

Oh, and, it only costs £85 + VAT the first time you have it done, if you decide later on that you want the car set up differently, or you change something and want it re set up. its only £35.

An hour?! That is suspiciously quick. Everything you adjust alters everything else you are trying to fix to a certain value, so you can't just set then move on to then move on to (or whatevre order), you're conmtinually checking and rechecking.

I know I paid a LOT more than this at Centre Gravity but I also know what was involved (as I watched/volunterily helped) - and Chris there is an absoulte perfectionist and wouldn't cut any corners - I just don' see how the job could have been dspeeded up at all. Even if nothing was seized it would have been at least a 3 hour procedure at C.G.

EDIT: I guess if they simply set the ride height, and left it at that (no corner weighting), that would save a lot of time - but it's not a good idea. Hmm.

Have you got any printouts of before/after?

Just over hour is what I recon they could do it in if they didn't have the hick ups that we had today with the computer crashing as he was showing me a video function in the software. Mine took more like 2 hours but like I said we had some issues with the computer. Plus there were two people working on mine, making the initial setup I'd say roughly twice as quick.

I didn't get a ride height adjust nor did they corner weigh my car so that would cut down on the job time for mine.

Like mentioned above they have a 'real time read out' and there system works by first setting the Thrust angle (something to do with the rear wheels) and set the front from that.

I cant imagine these guys would cut corners they were extremely professional and knew there stuff, I however am new to it all so cant really explain it all. I suggest if you have any queries you give them a call and see exactly what you are getting.

Hope this helps....

Here are the after pictures of what mine is set to now. We lost the pre-set up due to the computer crashing, I can assure you though on the screen there were a few red values...!

Fair play, 2 people working on it makes sense as that wil clearly reduce the time taken. I think all the decent geo places have real-time readouts, mine was the same - it's just that as it's all related you can't tweak x without y being affected, so you continually chase down the values you want to see, each 'loop' getting you closer to the target.

Looking at your numbers they are perfectly acceptable to all but the most hardened perfectionist/race nut, but there is some compromise going on; 6 minutes toe on the left, 30 minutes on the right, for example. I suspect 99.9% of people (me included) wouldn't be able to feel that or be let down by it Vs a 'perfect' setup, but it would have saved time by not trying to make it another step closer.

That said, the rest of the numbers DO look perfect, so maybe I'm talking bobbins, lol. :D

I'll certainly consider them if I need to get anything tweaked again, especially if further tweaks are just £35! :thumbs:

Hope the rain clears up before i leave, p1ssing down here at the min, gonna be fun getting R888's up to temp in this weather.

They are fine as long as you stay away from standing water :D

I drove over to essex in really heavy rain and anything over 65mph was very twitchy, yours are a bit wider than mine so possibly even worse.

Very very impressed with the setup at http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/ Very professional guys, The car was pretty well setup before they started but with the fine tweaks they have made its nice to know that everything is spot on now.

Also the tyre changing and wheels balancing setup they have there is amazing stuff, ive never seen anything like it, also the free nitrate inflation is a nice touch.

These are the type of people i like working on my car:cool:

Also the tyre changing and wheels balancing setup they have there is amazing stuff, ive never seen anything like it, also the free nitrate inflation is a nice touch.

oooh that is pretty slick! :)

These are the type of people i like working on my car:cool:

I know what you mean there; I hate having doubts about the qualification of anyone going near my car, when you find someone truly expert it's a great relief, even a joy! :)

The tyre changing machine is fully automatic, no change of getting a damaged wheel as now bars or operators touch the wheel, the balancer does it from the wheel studs and not the centre hole to get perfect balance, very trick stuff.:)

I must say I did see all that other machinery in the back ground but didn't really pay much attention to what I done. Was all very new looking though.