The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A rebirth

BillyC

Hi guys,

due to personal circumstances my Supe (94 SR N/A Import) has unfortunately been treated VERY poorly over the last year or so. Something that I now hope to start sorting out.

I intend to get it a good servicing hopefully in the next week, prior to sorting out some things (i.e I think the rear right shock has gone for a start as its taking serious hits anytime I hit anything like a pothole/crack in the road surface). Then I'll hopefully be able to move on to the cosmetics (cracked/holed front bumper and a few odds and sods)

I've done a fair bit of reading on here over the last day or two and think that the best thing to do for me would just to put it into somewhere for a complete check over/service.

I presume this would be the B service to request which as far as I can make out is quite all the oils/filters/plugs etc.

I've heard reference to the C service (which I think is the B service with some extras). But I dont really know what the extras are if anyone could help on this bit. Ideally, I'd like to get the whole car checked over and the major service parts replaced etc - and also a recommendation that that I need to get some other stuff looked at. Starting from a "refreshed in all parts" would then allow me to afford the varius other work over a month or two - unless its needed urgently.

I actually contacted a local Toyota garage yesterday, but they seemed more confused about my car and the service request than I did 2 days ago. They said they'd call back but haven't bothered so far - not a good sign really.

I'm based in Glasgow so the garage I tried was Shields Toyota at Hamilton. I dont know if anyones used them before but if they cant be bothered to call me back then I think I'll swerve them. I'm staying away from The Garage after a very poor experience there a while ago.

Does anyone know if KR Tuning is still on the go. I cant get an answer from them. Also, any references for CRD at West Calder, or Hypertek at Bonnybridge. I cant find a contact number for Performance TEK. I've read some stuff about them but all seem a bit vague really and the websites all just say the same stuff.

Anyway, Ideally I'd like to be able to do a portion of the servicing myself eventually (sparks/filters and maybe even an oil change at some stage) - some great guides I've found on here.

How would garages be about me supplying my own items? Ie turning up with oils/plugs/filters etc. Are they usually a bit snotty about this sort of thing? As after looking around on this site it appears that things are available for much less than the usual items charged at service.

Anyway, as its really my first go at attempting to get to grips with sorting out the Supe - and hopefully doing it gradually and cheaply I'm hoping someone could confirm that going for the below items would cover most of my needs if I could get a garage to let me supply them.

Ok, here goes:

Engine Oil: Motul 300V/Silkolene Pr S (5-6 litres)

Gearbox Oil: Toyota Type IV (2 litres)

Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600 (2 litres)

Clutch Fluid: Stock DOT3 brake fluid or DOt4/5.1 Brake fluid?????

Coolant: Toyota 4Life Red (9 litres)

LSD diff Oil: Unsure as I dont have LSD (I think)

Pow Steer: Dextron III ATF (4 litres)

Air Filter: Any recommendations/cheap

Fuel Filter: Toyota OEM if possible

I think thats all I can think of, if I've missed anything or you have any recommendations please feel free to show me the error of my ways. Apart from...

Spark Plugs: As the car only does about 20 miles a day and a very very very occasional short run to 70mph :) I'm not sure about the plugs. Looking at the NGK range and am unsure what ones to go for as theres some price difference between them. i dont thrash the car so am unsure as to whether I actually need to go for iridiums, or the more basic Power ones. Any help appreciated on this. There's a great guide for changing the plugs on the TT on here. Is the N/A the same sort of thing as I might have a go at this myself (or not)

Lastly: Any recommendations for brake pads as well (after reading the guides I might give this a pop too). I know Chris Wilsons are highly recommended, but are their any cheaper alternatives that would do me. I dont even know if £140 (I think) is cheap for pads.

Anyway, apologies for the long post, but I hope someone can give me a bit of a benefit from their experience.

Cheers

Billy

Hi guys,

snip...snip

Anyway, as its really my first go at attempting to get to grips with sorting out the Supe - and hopefully doing it gradually and cheaply I'm hoping someone could confirm that going for the below items would cover most of my needs if I could get a garage to let me supply them.

Ok, here goes:

Engine Oil: Motul 300V/Silkolene Pr S (5-6 litres)

Gearbox Oil: Toyota Type IV (2 litres)

Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600 (2 litres)

Clutch Fluid: Stock DOT3 brake fluid or DOt4/5.1 Brake fluid?????

Coolant: Toyota 4Life Red (9 litres)

Pow Steer: Dextron III ATF (4 litres)

I think thats all I can think of, if I've missed anything or you have any recommendations please feel free to show me the error of my ways. Apart from...

You will be able to get the fluids from Opie Oils on here, as to the other bits you can get them from Steve Manley (again do a search)

Spark Plugs: As the car only does about 20 miles a day and a very very very occasional short run to 70mph :) I'm not sure about the plugs. Looking at the NGK range and am unsure what ones to go for as theres some price difference between them. i dont thrash the car so am unsure as to whether I actually need to go for iridiums, or the more basic Power ones. Any help appreciated on this. There's a great guide for changing the plugs on the TT on here. Is the N/A the same sort of thing as I might have a go at this myself (or not)

They are a little tricky at first because you have to take a portion of the intake manifold off, but if you work out which bolts to do it can be a 30 minute job from start to finish. :)

Lastly: Any recommendations for brake pads as well (after reading the guides I might give this a pop too). I know Chris Wilsons are highly recommended, but are their any cheaper alternatives that would do me. I dont even know if £140 (I think) is cheap for pads.

CW pads are definitely a good investment, but you can probably get some normal pads from a motor factors. In fact the motor factor places usually stock all the bits or at least can order them.

Anyway, apologies for the long post, but I hope someone can give me a bit of a benefit from their experience.

Cheers

Billy

It was a good post to be honest, better than a lot on here.

Welcome mate good to see your giving her a good going over!

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

It may be a slow process though, but as long as I get it mechanically sound then thats a good start. Its running really poorly at the mo.. and Im now in a position to try and do a little every month.

I phoned Hypertech today and got a quote for a B service "with all the filters, gearbox and diff oils" for £207 which seems pretty cheap. - I think.

The car came with 80,000km on it but was converted to mph - its now at 120,000km - which I make to be about 90,000 miles on it.

In the list I posted in my first post is that all I really need to definitely have changed to give me a sort of "everything is new and up to date" sort of starting out point? Just so I have a starting point and can then take services at 9000 intervals from there, knowing that all the major things have been done on the last one.

Obviously, I've no doubt they'll charge a fair bit more than the £207 if I ask for everything on the list. Also no doubt they'll find a few other things that need doing - but hopefully I can delay most things for a week or two at least.

Unfortunately, I heard my brakes start to grind on the way home tonight (maybe this morning as well I think) so I think I'll maybe need to get them to do the pads while its in.

I'm going to get it done on Saturday hopefully (I need the car for work daily - about 20m) so I doubt I'll be suppplying anything myself this time as its too short notice to get things ordered.

So tomorrow I'm going to get a price off them to do the following - should they be able to break it down for me before they do it.

6 NGK spark plugs (what type as its not thrashed)

4 new brake pads (if required)

Engine Oil changed: Motul 300V/Silkolene Pro S (5-6 litres)

Gearbox Oil changed: Toyota Type IV (2 litres)

Brake Fluidchanged: Motul RBF600 (2 litres)

Clutch Fluid changed: Stock DOT3 brake fluid or DOt4/5.1 Brake fluid?????

Coolant changed: Toyota 4Life Red (9 litres)

Pow Steer changed: Dextron III ATF (4 litres) Unsure if I need to do this?

I'll also get them to thoroughly check everything mechanically as well.

If it works out too expensive, what from the above could I let slip till next time (or maybe attempt myself)

If anyone can think of anything else I should be asking to be done please let me know as like I said, I want this to be a good base to start looking after the car again from.

Cheers

Billy

I popped around to the Toyota Garage about half an hour ago to drop my mate off so thought I would pop in.

I asked the guy to give me a price for all of the above and I just received this e-mail from him, which has left me more confused than ever. I've asked him to clarify the prices for me.

Mr XXXXX,

Your prices as requested;

screenwash 1.66

oil filter 7.39

sump washer 0.83

oil 38.00

air filter 23.67

fuel filter 29.23

spark plugs 60.18

front pads 58.10

rear pads 32.16

brake fluid 6.11

antifreeze (forlife) 15.27

gear oil 23.10

diff oil 15.40

Above prices do NOT include VAT.

Full service £282.00 includes parts, labour and VAT

Spark plugs are an addition to this service, £140 inclusive.

Front pads £170.00 inclusive.

Rear pads £140.00 inclusive.

Coolant change £53.00 inclusive.

Gear oil (ATF) £41.24 inclusive.

Brake fluid change £21.15 inclusive.

Diff oil would be changed as part of a full service.

If timing belt requires renewal add £315.

Thank you

Wow.... [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

So does it mean:

Sparks £70 Labour £100

Front Pads £68 Labour £102

Rear Pads £38 Labour £102

That seems way way over the odds to me

Edited by BillyC (see edit history)

I'd do it yourself, £53 labour to change the coolant?

I've decided that I'm going to start to do as much as I can myself from now on. Obviously the brakes need doing straight away. The easiest and nearest for me is Kwikfit, who will do them for me this afternoon - pick up tonight. £150 fitted front and rears.

Also I like this idea

To ensure your brakes are always at their best, we offer a unique brakes lifetime guarantee. Once you have pads or shoes fitted at Kwik Fit, the replacement of these parts when they wear out is absolutely free to you, as long as you own the car.

Gonna order 6 Sparks (Iridium IX BKR5EIX-11 overkill?) today: £42 and either take them to Hypertek to do - or put them on myself depending how hard it is. The Twin Turbo one according to the guide on here seems pretty simple, is the N/A one much more difficult? Could a first time numpty like me carry it out?

If its easy enough I presume I'll need a deep socket as well. Anyone know what size?Or anyone round Glasgow/Uddingston wanna help out :search::)

For next time though:

Are there any how to guides to changing the coolant/brake fluid/ Engine Oil/gearbox Oil etc. Pretty confident I can follow instructions, just a bit wary.

Billy

Easy enough to put them on yourself, you need a plug socket of course, which has a rubber retaining ring so you can lift the plugs out.

If you do, when you take off the throttle body make sure you don't split it from the Y-shaped plenum, else you'll need to buy a new metal gasket from Toyota. Take the Y-plenum off the inlet manifold, there are 4 bolts at the top and 2 nuts at the bottom sides, careful you don't drop these down, as they tend to disappear if you do. There are various vac hoses to take off, including a little one under the centre between the Y.

Thanks Rob,

Well, I got the pads done at Kwikfit - I know its not ideal, but I needed it done before I ruined the disks. It'll keep me going for a bit, until I can get up to date with the rest of the things that need doing. Apparently they are Unipart pads - no idea what type, but I've no inention of caning the car just yet anyway.

Do you know what size of socket I need for the sparks? Unfortunately I have no garage to work in and its dark when I get home. Sooo...I'm gonna give this a go at work. Hopefully a couple of hours ought to do it. There's a couple of guys I know service their own cars so they can help out a little. And I'm pretty reasonable at following instructions that I've gained from here. Do I tighten the plugs up to a certain torque or is "tight" OK. Is it worth getting a torque wrench - if so, what type bearing in mind cash is not freeflowing.

I was a bit worried, but it seems its not as complicated as the manual would have you believe. Great thread here on it

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=4262&highlight=plugs&page=2

Supra Pilot has got my confidence up. Realistically, its just moving some things out of the way --- what could go wrong

gulp
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_oops.gif

After that I might do the Engine Oil, and the coolant. Again, I dont have anywhere at home to do this, nothing level at all, so I might try this at work as well over lunchtime. Need to get a driptray from someone though first.

I'm unsure on the whole bleeding part of the brakes so I will prob get them done properly (and watch) and also the gearbox.

If I can get through the basics of this by myself then I might be able to afford to get my rear shock sorted out sooner than I expected.

I'll check the plug socket at home and post later, but it is a specific socket for plugs, and not just a normal deep socket. You'll need extension bars and a universal joint bit to get to the two nuts under the Y-plenum.

Plugs are just nipped up IIRC, but always worth having a torque wrench. Machine Mart do them for under £20.

Rear shock can be done at home too, you'll need spring clamps though and a short scaffold tube as extra leverage to get the big nut undone.

Well, been having a think and I really need some stuff before I start to get carried away getting bits and pieces without having the basics.

So I need:

Trolley Jack

I could live without this if I can use the original jack to raise the car up enough to get some axle stands under but doubt I could get a trolley jack under the sides and deffo not under the front.

Axle stands:

I was up at Halfords today looking at what they had available and thought of the below:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_217011_langId_-1_categoryId_33938

as it seems they are giving these axle stands free with them

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216002_langId_-1_categoryId_31528

Are they good enough for very occasional work?

I'd actually prefer these ratchet ones but not sure if its worth paying the extra for

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253949_langId_-1_categoryId_31528

Obviously thats just Halfords visited, but any recommendations would be appreciated if there's better stuff available for about the same price. (My mrs phoned up while I was in there and I said I was after a fuse :) )

Also looked at this for the sparks:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_163003_langId_-1_categoryId_71552

But I dont think it'll fit my existing socket set which is 1/2 inch (I think). Might need to get an adaptor.

Also had a little look at the oil filters and found one recommended for a Supe. £8.99 for a HOF 281 part number - again, any good for me if anyone knows?

I'm quite happy to go ahead and order all my fluids now(especially since I found 2l of Toyota ATF IV in my garage :D ). Oh, and my air filter is in decent condition too - so can save a bit on that for now as well.

Again, apologies if this thread seems to be going on and on.

Rob, thanks for the offer of the phone number, if you want to PM me yours, then I can use it as my phone a friend when my Mrs starts asking "why are these bits left on the drive when youve only changed some spark plugs?"

I think thats it for now.

Brakes sorted for now.

Oils sorted - ready to order.

plugs sorted - here on my desk.

Fuel filter - to find and order yet.

Oil filter - shouldnt be too hard to find.

I've kept links to most of the threads/info I've found on here about how to do this stuff and will maybe start a thread that covers pretty much all of the stuff for a service. Although I wont say which type in case I incur the wrath of Digby :)

I suppose I better do some work now really. Although....

Edited by BillyC (see edit history)