The mkiv Supra Owners Club

vacuum Pipes/hoses

Firestorm

ok i cant take it anymore! :taped:

i know this has been brought up alot but i cant seem to find the right answer and now i need some advice

i busted a couple of my pipes removing the turbo pipework, i got some FSE hoses but they dont supply 5mm or 6mm pipes.. im torn between getting some normal Silicon blue ones or getting Reinforced ones. im told that it doesnt matter but i dont wanna get it wrong. i also dont wanna pay out of my A$$ for some as the pipe is roughly bout 3 inches long. i could go toyota and buy the replacedment black ones but it would nice to have blue ones.

Can anyone suggest a place to get these or should i cut my losses and get in contact with Toyota Directly

Cheers

This might be useful. :)

My take is the WORST POSSIBLE stuff to use is silicone vac / pressure hose, use Gates or Wurth black "rubber" hose or buy stock ones. The silicone stuff is slippy, has no fabric core, so splits for fun, and (IMO) looks naff in silly colours. I see more vac probs with silicone hoses than I do with old, tired, original ones!

"Proper" silicone hose has a fabric layer moulded into it to stop too much expansion, and reduce the natural tendency of silicone hose to split. It is easily seen in rad and oil hoses, for example. In the small bore sizes only the really high end stuff has a fabric inlay. The hoses in the small bore sizes you get in these kits almost invariably has no liner, and will split and expand for fun.

The stock hoses are fine, IMO. I can tell a genuine low mileage car from a clocked one just by "feeling its small bore hoses", IYSWIM. It is only to be expected that a hose in a harsh environment like a hundered thousand miles under the bonnet of the MKIV, will harden. I still re,main adamant that stock vac hoses or Gates or equivavlent aftermarket stuff is best in the small bore sizes.