The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlights redone & the chrome bits too.

carl0s

I cleaned up my headlights yesterday. I used Brasso for the yellowing, and I used Plasti-Kote metallic silver enamel spray paint to re-do the large chrome ring which had peeled a lot leaving yellow plastic visible.

I think the results are pretty good. The enamel isn't quite the right match for the other chrome rings but it's good enough and a major improvement. The lenses are a tiny bit foggy due to erm the plastic being worn, but the Brasso has certainly removed all the yellow.

http://www.css-networks.com/hl.jpg

Just thought I'd share it with you all since I'm not sure if anybody has ever bothered trying to re-chrome the rings.

They look really good.

It's funny as I was thinking about what to paint the chrome rings with yesterday. Found that Plastic-kote do a chrome spray paint, not sure if it's any good though.

The plasti-kote chrome enamel is what I have used above. It's good enough.

This is what i need to do, but I will proberly break mine in the process. Looks good.

I was a bit weary. I did the glass headlights on my old UK car years ago, but I was weary all the same, especially with these being plastic. I would say do not be shy with the heat in the oven. That sealent really goes go nice and gooey very easily, then it's fairly easy to separate them.

I am pleased I have done mine because they looked very bad before, especially the driver's side one, so this improvement is very dramatic. My passenger side lamp had yellowy silicone sealant around the rubbers too. Somebody had botched a job on them in the past so now they are much better.

they look really good, also I need to spray the chrome dash rings as the chrome has 'come off' so I think I'll try the same stuff, cheers :D

Hmm. not sure if it'll be good enough for that. It doesn't have quite the same shine as proper chrome, although I didn't make the surface perfect.