The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Repairing/replacing blended skirts

hoff

The side skirts on my supe are blended into the bodywork and one is damaged. There is a crack on the one and there is cracking around where it has been blended around the arch.

I really want to get them sorted but would that require a respray? if so I have no chance of having them done but if there is another way I'll do it. I will obviously get a quote from a couple of body shops round my way but thought I'd see what you guys had to say on the matter too:)

Oh and if I do get new skirts I wont be having them blended.

The side skirts on my supe are blended into the bodywork and one is damaged. There is a crack on the one and there is cracking around where it has been blended around the arch.

I really want to get them sorted but would that require a respray? if so I have no chance of having them done but if there is another way I'll do it. I will obviously get a quote from a couple of body shops round my way but thought I'd see what you guys had to say on the matter too:)

Oh and if I do get new skirts I wont be having them blended.

Nope will certainly require a re-spray (blended/frenched in or not). However, if they are blended/frenched in it is likley to cost a lot more to do as they have to spray a much bigger area. My rear spat got damaged last year (a quick fix if not blended as they just remove spat, repair, spray and re-fit - about £100 job). However because both rear spats were blended in (and remember only one was damaged) they had to crack off both spats, spray rear bumber because of this and then spray rear wings (and door and rear wings to roof also) to ensure a good clolour match. End result £1400 !! Glad i wasnt paying though as it was a non fault insurance job.

Nope will certainly require a re-spray (blended/frenched in or not). However, if they are blended/frenched in it is likley to cost a lot more to do as they have to spray a much bigger area. My rear spat got damaged last year (a quick fix if not blended as they just remove spat, repair, spray and re-fit - about £100 job). However because both rear spats were blended in (and remember only one was damaged) they had to crack off both spats, spray rear bumber because of this and then spray rear wings (and door and rear wings to roof also) to ensure a good clolour match. End result £1400 !! Glad i wasnt paying though as it was a non fault insurance job.

Yeh thats not good but what I thought:(

A decent bodyshop will be able to blend the paint.

I have heard that. Ste D had some poor fitting spats so the body shop 'blew' the paint when they were spryed on the car and they look fine:) I know a guy that maybe able to do that so I'll go see him tomorrow I think:) If he will I may get some new ones. I like the VS TBH but fancy something with smoother lines:)

Guest CoolsBlue
I have heard that. Ste D had some poor fitting spats so the body shop 'blew' the paint when they were spryed on the car and they look fine:) I know a guy that maybe able to do that so I'll go see him tomorrow I think:) If he will I may get some new ones. I like the VS TBH but fancy something with smoother lines:)

its easy for a shop, repair the area, primer it, smooth it, respray the spat and part of the arch and then blend the paint in

Well I went to see my normal bodywork guy last night (not the joker who has had my bumper for weeks). He can do the work and says it will be no problem to fix the cracking:)

However, the crack on the skirt itself which is vertical (3") under the door and horazontal on top of the skirt all along the door opening is something he is unsure about:rolleyes: He's sure he can fix it but couldn't give me a propper quote as he is unsure how much work would be envolved:( He suggested the best way would to put a couple of rivets on the side of the skirt to hold it, smooth over them and then filler/fiber glass to fix and finally a spray. He gave an example that 10 hours work would be £270 plus the paint.

I really need a quote before agreeing but am tempted to just give him the car to do and hope for the best. He is very good so Im sure he'll do a good job and do it propperly but Im unsure now if I should just risk it.:search:

Indeed - how long is a piece of string? Maybe offer him £350 or thereabouts with the guarantee that it'll all be finished properly and see what he says.

ad,

do you want my mates body shop to give you quote?

lee?

I have to go back to see him as it was pooring down last night and he'll give me a quote on my bonnet too. I'll suggest a full price then to him:)

Lee, thanks mate:) I'll get some pics when the car is clean and dry for you. Its a bit of a trip but could be worth it depending on the quote your guy and my guy give. The work on your car looks pretty good so I'd be pretty happy on that side of things:)