The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU- 1 bar or 1.2

jacko

Im collecting all the bits together to go BPU, but i cant decide whether to just go with the 1.2 bar RR and be done with it, or put a 1 bar RR in and use a boost controller to turn it up to 1.2 when i want. I have a Profec B sitting here that i had on my Starlet, so spose i might as well put it on there really?

Im collecting all the bits together to go BPU, but i cant decide whether to just go with the 1.2 bar RR and be done with it, or put a 1 bar RR in and use a boost controller to turn it up to 1.2 when i want. I have a Profec B sitting here that i had on my Starlet, so spose i might as well put it on there really?

Fitting a slightly small RR and using the boost controller will give you control over the boost, this would be the option I'd go with, especially if you already have the boost controller.

Each car is different and when BPU the peak boost pressure varies a great deal with outside air temp and humidity.

For example, the RR Chris usually supplies will be made to keep most cars at/slightly below 1.2 bar in cold weather conditions. In the heat of the summer, this might mean only 1.0 bar maximum.

I drilled my one out so that it ran 1.1 peak in the summer, but as soon as air temps dropped, or I drove it very early in the morning it went direct to 1.3 bar and fuel cut. So, if you had a RR that allowed 1.2 bar in yesterdays heat, this might reach 1.3-1.4 at night, or higher even in winter (obviously fuel cut would cut in before then, but thats not the point ;) )

If you want year round boost adjustment you need to get a boost controller.

Ye, cheers for the help. I think i'll get an RR that keeps it as near to 1 bar as possible and turn it up with the Profec B when i feel the need (always) Then i can stop it boosting too high when the air temps come down

Yep, thats the best solution mate :)