The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra at hyper sr for single upgrade

j80leo

As title i have sent my pj off to paul at Hyper sports and racing the other week, after all the bad press they had from another member which chris had done on him which was not for light reading but that was chris not paul the mechanic who has now taken over the company.I have spoken to paul long and hard before i decided to go ahead with the single upgrade i wanted to get around 600 bhp with a very good torque figure to match so went with

GT 4088r dbb

costom manifold

44mm external wastegate

hks fuel rail

800cc injectors

hks 2mm headgasket

valve stem seals

head skimmed

valves cut back

fuel pressure regulator

arp head bolts

afr guage

When the head was removed paul has had a good look at all the pistons, rings and bores and they are perfect they even have the original crosshatching on them from factory so bottom end is good for the power, i know the auto box is not going to last to long at this power but when it goes i will put the 6 speed in and then its nearly finished will keep you all updated and send pictures when it back if anybody is interested in a kit then let me know and i can get a deal on them thats only the turbo, manifold, wastegate, intercooler pipe, oil feeds, down pipe

Good luck.

:yeahthat:

I really hope that Paul and Stu have pulled there socks up and start doing good jobs. I've seen quite a few things come out of Hyper which have scared me! Although how much of that was Chris trying to cut corners :search: However the few bits (mechanical) they did for me was good. The thing I would insist on knowing is what ECU and who is going to map it! Also I wouldn't wait for the Autobox just to fail as that could be dangerous! I would advise looking into cooling for the box! and again I would want someone who knows what they are doing i.e. Ryan G! to map it to a safe limit for the box taking into account things like full boost changing etc

P.S why are they skimming the head?

if you want to keep the low down torque i would seriously re-consider that 2 mm head gasket, lowering the compression and knackering up Mr T's carefully thought out squish clearance will do nothing for low down grunt, what boost are you aiming for anyway? as 600 bhp is easily achievable on stock compression ration and with a smaller turbo, you better add a high stall to your shopping list, at least a 3800 rpm stall or maybe even a 4000 rpm, which i would imagine isn't going to be to much fun on the street

if you want to keep the low down torque i would seriously re-consider that 2 mm head gasket, lowering the compression and knackering up Mr T's carefully thought out squish clearance will do nothing for low down grunt, what boost are you aiming for anyway? as 600 bhp is easily achievable on stock compression ration and with a smaller turbo, you better add a high stall to your shopping list, at least a 3800 rpm stall or maybe even a 4000 rpm, which i would imagine isn't going to be to much fun on the street

:yeahthat:

I'd run a 1.6mm HKS HG absolute max. Otherwise stick with stock ;)

The head was skimmed so there is a good fit when put back together i was not going to run 600 until i have got the 6 speed in as the box will just let go on me, I will have a talk with paul to maybe reduce the size of the headgasket and go with the 1.6mm i was only going to run around 1.2-1.4 bar, the turbo is a genuine garret so fingers crossed it should be more than enough to cope with my needs.

Thanks for the info guy's this is why i put this up so i could get a few more tips from you lot before its all finished so the oil cooler is now added to the list and the high stall i will have a look at this aswell:eyebrows:

Generally people run a bigger head gasket to lower compression so they can run more boost, the downside is it makes the car a touch more laggy, as you say you want 600bhp and 1.4bar max id not want to lower the compression if it was my car and sacrifice spool:)

Nothing wrong with a stock head gasket, very strong.

Edit, also with things ive heard and seen id not let hyper near my car.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Generally people run a bigger head gasket to lower compression so they can run more boost, the downside is it makes the car a touch more laggy, as you say you want 600bhp and 1.4bar max id not want to lower the compression if it was my car and sacrifice spool:)

Nothing wrong with a stock head gasket, very strong.

cheers bud i will let paul know that its got to go first thing monday as there is no point having it if i am not going to be using it:thumbs:

Good luck with this! ;) Fingers crossed they've sorted themselves out because I’ve witnessed some of their cowboy antics first hand :blink:

Are you going with a standalone ECU or sticking with the e-manage?

I'm sticking with my e-manage as it runs 800cc injectors this has been confirmed from Ian c himself so it ok with me as for Hyper sports been cowboy's i do not think this is true they have always been more than helpful to me and always very profesional with me so i think it's just bad luck that when chris was looking to leave the company that some things went wrong on some peoples cars which then gives the wrong impression about the rest of the people who work there, it was one persons actions that have tarnished all the other worker's and mechanics and paul is a very clever bloke and knows his stuff so thats why i choose to send my car there ;)

Brave man ;)

Good luck.

Things have been going wrong for a while, HyperSR issues aren't a new thing sadly.

Most of the major issues seem to come along when engine work is involved.

All I can say, is you are a VERY brave man (Not sure brave is the right word), I've seen the results of their last member's car... I would personally get a contract drawn up to CYA, so you have some sort of comeback, rather than the their last effort of 'Well, I've sold the company so you are shit out of luck' approach.

Dont run a turbo blanket.

Why? Out of interest?

Things have been going wrong for a while, HyperSR issues aren't a new thing sadly.

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/pics/dp/hsr/dp.htm

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1078539&postcount=12

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1431456&postcount=10

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1659614&postcount=36

Here is a screen shot of there "mapping" on my Emanage :search: BTW I paid £550 for that.

Not to mention countless Matt H threads and quite a few others which im not going to name!

All I can say, is you are a VERY brave man (Not sure brave is the right word), I've seen the results of their last member's car... I would personally get a contract drawn up to CYA, so you have some sort of comeback, rather than the their last effort of 'Well, I've sold the company so you are $#@! out of luck' approach.

:yeahthat: a contract sounds like a good idea!

I'm sticking with my e-manage as it runs 800cc injectors this has been confirmed from Ian c himself so it ok with me as for Hyper sports been cowboy's i do not think this is true they have always been more than helpful to me and always very profesional with me so i think it's just bad luck that when chris was looking to leave the company that some things went wrong on some peoples cars which then gives the wrong impression about the rest of the people who work there, it was one persons actions that have tarnished all the other worker's and mechanics and paul is a very clever bloke and knows his stuff so thats why i choose to send my car there ;)

Again all i would say is be careful and get everything documented as suggested above! At the end of the day Chris was the owner but he did not do all the mechanical work! Paul did!

Again I hope that the lads @ hyper start doing a good job on every car and make a good go of the business!

Wow, the "read out loud" members are going to struggle with that one.

Best of luck, sorry to say i haven't read anything good with hyper but they are due a good run i guess.

Good luck Leo.

Hyper are only 2 miles from my house so you could have come in and had a brew/game of COD4.

My knowledge of Supes is still not great but considering they are so close to me I have never taken my car there due to the problems that other members have had.

H.