PDA

View Full Version : Drager versus NUR spec

Darren
17-01-04, 11:38
I know this board is very 'pro' NUR spec so am prepared for some stick for this post...:p

When I got my car I bought a Drager the decatted etc it sounded amazing loud enough to set car alarms off but inoffensive on the road. Well as the NUR had a straighter run and purported better performance and rave reviews on here I invested in one.

Heres the rub!

I love the fact that its stainless steal

But

I prefer the look of the Drager from the rear of the car.

AND

My NUR is bl@@dy NOISEY. Drowns out my loud stereo @ 80mph on the motorway and any other time I'm giving just alittle bit of throttle!!! :mad: My journey to work contains about 100 miles of motorway and its giving me a headache :devil:

Is it just my mods?? Or am I just getting old and sad?:) How do you guys find yours?:confused:

Soonto"HAS"soop
17-01-04, 11:45
I love my decatted one. It is sooo loud, that at certain times it can drown out the stereo of my mates car, 2 cars behind me.:D

Absolutely love it - just hate all the little shites that tell ya to "Rev ya car up mate!", damned little baseball cap touting, addidas tracksuit wearing scum.

Ben..

Darren
17-01-04, 11:51
Mines decatted too! LOUD LOUD LOUD! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Branners
17-01-04, 12:30
the nur spec does drone at about 3000rpm, if you put the baffle back in that stops a lot of that droning. Somebody did take a baffle and drill some holes in it to let a bit more noise out so if its not noisy enough when its in then try that.

JB

Darren
17-01-04, 12:48
I've had passengers say it sounds like the exhaust has gone!:( :( :(

Dont want to run the baffle bacause of performance implications....

Supragal
17-01-04, 12:52
I pikeyed a lift off Faye to one of the meets and hers was silly loud, I know what you're saying though, I think I'm gonna stick to a decat and my apexi for now... it really would give you a headache driving it every day!

Soonto"HAS"soop
17-01-04, 12:57
Originally posted by Supragal
I pikeyed a lift off Faye to one of the meets and hers was silly loud, I know what you're saying though, I think I'm gonna stick to a decat and my apexi for now... it really would give you a headache driving it every day!

I drive mine everyday, and just love it. If I rag it briefly and then ease off, just resting the old heavy foot on the peddle, I get that lovely popping sound. That certainly gets attention from the young 'uns!!

:thumbs: Best buy so far IMHO:thumbs:

Ben..

Seb
17-01-04, 19:24
Is the Hiper even louder than that? Just curious, as at some stage I might make a change from my Dragger.

Seb

Thorin
17-01-04, 19:26
Originally posted by Seb
Is the Hiper even louder than that? Just curious, as at some stage I might make a change from my Dragger.

Seb

Not sure that its any louder, but it certainly doesn't seem to drone as much as the Nur. But then the Nur is undoubtedly better quality.

michael
17-01-04, 19:27
Buy a UK spec, the extra sound proofing means you can hardly hear the exhaust, sometimes I forget I have mine :)

Bobbeh
17-01-04, 19:27
Dont be a sheep, make up your own mind and get something different ;)

Soonto"HAS"soop
17-01-04, 19:29
:baa:

Ben..

dandan
17-01-04, 19:38
Yeh like a Trial....sounds brilliant but not too raspy or offensive.

Matt Harwood
17-01-04, 21:42
Darren, I know exactly what you're saying. I had the Hiper on my old car and I loved it. It never droned, but was loud.
Now I've got the Nur Spec, and find myself with the baffle in most of the time...

I did debate changing back to the Hiper a while back, but it seemed a daft thing to do as the Nur is s/steel, and has the ability to suit both my loud and quiter moods:conf:

MONKEYmark
17-01-04, 22:39
i have a nur spec and love it had it over 2 years
no cats and cams and nur spec is great through tunnels. if you on WOT then lift off and rest foot gentle you get the nice popping. must say with the baffle in you do notice its a lot quieter just a bit louder than stock exhaust seems sluggish too. one of reasons i got the blitz nur spec was because it was stainless steel. i had a super drager on my mitsubishi gto. wanted to try something different so got the blitz.

have fun

will love it when i get a chance to drive my supra again, have got used to the astra 1.4 power now

Suprash
18-01-04, 09:59
If the NUR is S/Steel, whats the Hyper.......

I lurve my Hyper...... :love: And I get flames........

Ray
18-01-04, 13:17
well hmm has anyone got the Apexi'GT?? :rolleyes:

Apparently on the suprastore.com they say ...

"On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the loudest exhaust and 1 being the factory exhaust sound, the APEXi GT Spec comes in at around a 7." :conf:

Will that be louder or loud as the Blitz?

Roy
18-01-04, 14:51
my 2p n strictly IMHO - i wouldn't change my hiper for a nur due to 2 reasons - the drone effect which i have found can be very irritating and also i find the sound made by the hiper to be harder edged whereas the nur is deeper/growlier but not as raspy ... of couse the nur looks good and is made from s/s which is of better quality but i guess it is upto individual people ... :)

SkyJawa
18-01-04, 15:01
Interesting stuff as I'm deciding on whether to change my Drager to a Nur........

Scooter
18-01-04, 20:46
i think the NUR is the definite car park king in that it has a louder throaty idle and 'Blip' sound than the Drager. It seems that with the Drager the actual driver (HISUPE!) doesn't feel its very loud even though from my experience of motorway drive bys it is.

Neil i think you need to hear your car from a different perspective, you need someone to do a couple of drive bys for you......you know, someone quite sensible.......someone you could trust.......:innocent:

Seb
18-01-04, 21:26
This is where I get confused, as when I was up at Leon's not long ago, he'd just fitted something to his car, and wanted to make sure it was running ok. I saw he had a Nur, and was anticipating the loudness, but it was surprisingly quiet as he did a drive around the car park. Sure, he wasn't gunning it, but on a fast idle standing next to a Dragger makes your feet vibrate. Not doubting it mind, just curious about that one time.

Seb

Faye
19-01-04, 17:20
Originally posted by Supragal
I pikeyed a lift off Faye to one of the meets and hers was silly loud,!

Thank you. :D

SkyJawa
19-01-04, 17:24
Originally posted by Scooter
i think the NUR is the definite car park king in that it has a louder throaty idle and 'Blip' sound than the Drager. It seems that with the Drager the actual driver (HISUPE!) doesn't feel its very loud even though from my experience of motorway drive bys it is.

Neil i think you need to hear your car from a different perspective, you need someone to do a couple of drive bys for you......you know, someone quite sensible.......someone you could trust.......:innocent:

I guess and I've thought too about what you say mate. Its true you don't really know from a drivers point of view!

LMAO @ someone sensible. That rules out everyone from this board then :p :blink: :moo: :D

I think I could well be needing those drive bys though!

Sharpie
19-01-04, 17:28
Originally posted by Ashley Willis
If the NUR is S/Steel, whats the Hyper.......

I lurve my Hyper...... :love: And I get flames........

Mild Steel piping with a S/S can.

I would not swap mine :flame Dev

Sharpie
19-01-04, 17:28
Neil,

My m8 said you were loud :eek: But, he does drive a T4 :(

LeeT
19-01-04, 18:23
just fitted my nur spec today and think its excellent. it wasnt quite as loud as i thought it would be but i havent de catted yet, does decatting make it much louder? it seems to make a bit of difference over stock too, my traction control light flashes at me all the time now although i havent had chance to take it for a proper spin yet.

Steve W2
19-01-04, 18:37
Lee, I have noticed that my car doesn't lose traction on takeoff when the 2nd tubo cuts in anymore:confused:

The gear changes seem a little smoother though, never noticed it when i fitted the Nur just when I fitted the original back:conf:

I was gonna ask you when you get it fitted if you noticed any difference. I also found the car was more eager to drop down a gear with the zorst fitted.

Anyone else noticed that?

SkyJawa
19-01-04, 19:34
Originally posted by Peter Sharp
Neil,

My m8 said you were loud :eek: But, he does drive a T4 :(

Yeah Pete, thats one of the reasons I'm no longer sure about changing! After all the money could be spent elsewhere!

JamesG
19-01-04, 19:46
I ordered a Nur Spec R today to replace my Mongoose which was nice but far too quiet :)

Can't wait to see what it's like.

James.

BigRoy
19-01-04, 19:52
Well I drove around for 2 weeks with the baffle out but then got all shy! If my Supe was a second car then yes but to drive everyday its friggin annoying. Its a bit like fitting a DV, yeah its a laugh for a while but the novelty of scaring garnnies soon wheres off!

But then again i'm getting old. Its my birthday soon and you can all buy me Quicksilvers engine!+:D

Steve W2
20-01-04, 08:58
Originally posted by BigRoy
Well I drove around for 2 weeks with the baffle out but then got all shy! If my Supe was a second car then yes but to drive everyday its friggin annoying. Its a bit like fitting a DV, yeah its a laugh for a while but the novelty of scaring garnnies soon wheres off!

But then again i'm getting old. Its my birthday soon and you can all buy me Quicksilvers engine!+:D

I know what you mean mate. I just had the standard zorst re-fitted after having the baffle less Nur on and I quite like it.

I can creep up on thoose M3's now:D

The Flash
20-01-04, 10:21
This thread has been just what I was lookimg for after going to my first meet recently.

Standard noise on my car has always been the only (shallow) gripe I have had. Only really noticed Getaway's Drager for noise - and it sounded perfect.

From this thread it appears the NUR is obviously the better quality, but I get the impression it can get a bit much for everyday use. I want to be noticed more - but only up to a point.

I am searching through the site at the same time, but what are the performance implications of a new system? - and what ball park figure would include fitting et al?

Cheers

Flash

Steve W2
20-01-04, 10:52
Flash - I didnt find the Nur annoying on a day to day use. I made sure I had the baffle as I thought it would be too loud, but never even used it.

It does get a little droney at about 85mph but other than that I thought it was great. Performance wise I don't think you get any extra BHP but you may notice a little more responsiveness.

As I said I used to lose traction off the lights when the 2 turbo came online, I don't now.

As for fitting it cost me £15 as I couldn't be arsed to do it myself, but would be very easy providing you can get under your car okay.

Either way you can get good prices from Gaz at ENVY performance.

HTH:)

Terry S
20-01-04, 11:11
My NUR is very quiet & unobtrusive.:innocent:

The Flash
20-01-04, 11:13
..... so you would have changed it before you quietly cruised past the Berko meet then of course!!!:D

Roy
20-01-04, 11:14
Originally posted by Terry S

there is NOTHING about you that is unobtrusive ! :p

Terry S
20-01-04, 11:38
Originally posted by The Flash
..... so you would have changed it before you quietly cruised past the Berko meet then of course!!!:D

That was "Stealth" mode. Next time I'll stick it:innocent:

Matt Harwood
20-01-04, 11:56

Yep, I agree.... I can't hear it from Maidstone! :innocent:

JamesG
20-01-04, 13:34
Matt, your car sounded awesome when I drove it. Did that have the baffle in or out?

James.

Terry S
20-01-04, 14:01
Originally posted by JamesG
Matt, your car sounded awesome when I drove it. Did that have the baffle in or out?

James.

That was a CD he made of mine when I was down there. He plays it whenever he's driving:p

Matt Harwood
20-01-04, 14:29
That was a CD he made of mine when I was down there. He plays it whenever he's driving:p

LOL, Just need to get that wastegate noise and I'll be happy ;)

James, that was with the baffle in!

JamesG
20-01-04, 17:36
Originally posted by Matt Harwood
James, that was with the baffle in!

hehehe. I'd better go buy some earplugs for the neighbours then :D

James.

Stu
21-01-04, 08:58
Originally posted by The Flash
This thread has been just what I was lookimg for after going to my first meet recently.

Standard noise on my car has always been the only (shallow) gripe I have had. Only really noticed Getaway's Drager for noise - and it sounded perfect.

From this thread it appears the NUR is obviously the better quality, but I get the impression it can get a bit much for everyday use. I want to be noticed more - but only up to a point.

I am searching through the site at the same time, but what are the performance implications of a new system? - and what ball park figure would include fitting et al?

Cheers

Flash
I'm looking for a new exhaust also within the next couple of weeks Flash..never know might get a bit of discount if we buy at the same time...;) Realistically what would we be looking to pay for either nur or the dragger with a de cat pipe??:)

The Flash
21-01-04, 09:13
Realistically what would we be looking to pay for either nur or the dragger with a de cat pipe??

Hiya Stu

Had a quick look at the Envy site. Prices seem to be around £585 for NUR and £520 for HKS. On top of this is delivery and fitting etc....

You know my level of technical knowledge on these things - the pictures looked nuce and shiny - so dont refer any further questions in this direction!

I may have to re-prioritise (Is that a word) anyway as the stock stereo in mine is so close to being ripped out and thrown over the nearest kerb (Dont get many cliffs in leighton Buzzard). Hold on though - think I have found the odd grand down the side of the sofa..... well whad'ya know

:D

Stu
21-01-04, 12:51
:eek: Whats this I've found?? Oh its a credit card thats not been used..Mmmm shame to let it sit there eh!!Have you decided what one to go for Flash?

The Flash
21-01-04, 16:28
Whats this I've found?? Oh its a credit card thats not been used..Mmmm shame to let it sit there eh!!

Too True!

Think given the minimal price difference and the apparant quality difference - I will plump for the NUR.

Anyone got any good helpful tips for a stereo upgrade?

Matt H - Have PM'd you on this - didnt want to Hi Jack a thread !! (So thats what I've just done :p )

Stu
21-01-04, 16:39
;) Hello mate anyone know price of de cat pipe to go with it

The Flash
21-01-04, 16:42
Told you I was dumb

So the price I was looking at will still have the cat in it then ? Oh well, anyone want to buy a Grandmother ? (Am sure she'll understand the sacrifice is needed!!)

Steve W2
22-01-04, 14:29
Originally posted by Stu
;) Hello mate anyone know price of de cat pipe to go with it

PM Chris Wilson and he will send you the details, fitting costs and whatever else on a email for you:)

Darren
04-02-04, 19:02
Wished I'd realised that so many other Supra owners found the NUR SOOO LOUD and drony! Might try the baffle option on long runs...Or see Matty H for a hifi upgrade :p

Glad I got it cheap cheap!:)

Dragonball
04-02-04, 20:30
Go RSR

Sounds better than NUR IMHO - and has baffle to take it down to Dragger quality sound

:thumbs:

Sold my Dragger now - and this baby is going on!

Matt B
04-02-04, 21:02
Well I have to say I'm quite suprised by this thread...:confused:
I don't think my Nur is that loud and I run in True Twin mode a lot and have a full de-cat with no baffle. :D

Maybe it's because I've come from a Tuscan to this but my Tuscan was much louder.:)

You guys should try a Vtwin motorbike with a race can..... Mine was so loud I had to wear earplugs...:p

Darren
05-02-04, 09:33
Originally posted by Paul E
Go RSR

Sounds better than NUR IMHO - and has baffle to take it down to Dragger quality sound

:thumbs:

Sold my Dragger now - and this baby is going on!

I bought a Drager then NUR now an RSR!!!!:eek: No no no gotta stick with the NUR.

No more spending on the Supra!:twak: :twak:

hadyn
23-01-05, 12:36
i've got a HKS Dragger on mine and it sounds silent compared to the Nur Spec I used to have on my 200SX :)
Agree with the above though that it does look better than the nur from the rear - i didnt buy one for my 200sx due to it being mild steel - but as it came with my supe, im not complaining :)
Any ideas of the power gain from a catback system such as a Dragger or Nur Spec on a supe?

tDR
23-01-05, 13:01
You need to decat it to bring it on song a bit :)

Jam
23-01-05, 16:42
Only thing u can do is buy a louder stereo mate!! ;)

SkyJawa
23-01-05, 17:13
:moo: Waaaaaayhaaaaaay - old thread resurrection zone!!! :D

:p

;)

hadyn
23-01-05, 17:13
let it not be said that i dont use the search button :music:

China Man
23-01-05, 17:30
Nur spec R fitted 2 weeks ago and I love it the first few hours. After 100 miles of Motoway the noise gets annoying!

Never drove the car with the muffle thingy in yet, love it hate it type of noise at the mo :P

de-cat next month, interesting time ahead for my neighbours

China

Matt Harwood
23-01-05, 17:58
Stick the baffle in and it all becomes tranquil again ;)

Bobbeh
23-01-05, 18:01
Stick the baffle in and it all becomes tranquil again ;)

Doesnt that defeat the object of the getting such an exhaust?! :)

dandan
26-01-05, 21:22
How does the RSR compare to the Nur for sound?

Is it full stainless, any power differences noticed compared to the Nur?

Homer
26-01-05, 21:46
How does the RSR compare to the Nur for sound?

Is it full stainless, any power differences noticed compared to the Nur?

Wow, old thread, I remember reading this when trying to decide what exhaust to buy last year!!

I've not owned a Supra with a NUR but have been in quite a few!

The NUR seems to be a bit quieter and deeper sounding at idle/low rpm, the RSR is louder and a bit rougher sound

At mid rpm - particularly in the transition zone between the turbo’s, the NUR seems to drone badly, the RSR is a similar kind of volume but does not drone as bad.

At WOT, both are similar in sound, though I think the RSR is louder.

If you want lots of volume and ground clearance the RSR is a good choice, if you're after a full s/s exhaust with a more 'rumbly' sound then go for the NUR

all IMO :)

Geezabloke
26-01-05, 21:48
I bought the NUR spec after seeing it side by side a Hyper....Much better quality zorst.

And i have never fitted the baffle as it sounds amazing......However it is a second car, so that probably helps me retain the hearing.

Sometimes on the M,way it does drone, but if you put your foot down it goes away :banghead:

Dave :littled:

geoffvalenti
26-01-05, 21:59
The RSR is possibly a bit louder than the NUR. It was my choice, mainly for the excellent ground clearance compared with the NUR.

I love the sound of it, but I'm into really loud cars, so some days I think I'd prefer it a bit louder :D I've never used the baffle, it's floating around in the boot somewhere. I'm doing a partial decat soon, so hopefully the sound will increase ;)

As for power gains, I didn't notice any on the "butt dyno." It's hardly surprising being that the cats are by far the most restrictive part of the system. I'm expecting to gain a few BHP after I decat.

It all depends on your preferences really. I can honestly say that, in the last 8 months, since I've had the RSR, I've probably only switched the radio or CD on half a dozen times, I just love the exhaust sound. Even as cold as it is at the moment, I'll still drive with the drivers window open so I can hear it properly :)

Matt Harwood
27-01-05, 08:14
Doesnt that defeat the object of the getting such an exhaust?! :)

No, quite the opposite. I like the fact that I don't have to put up with a horrible drone all day, every day, yet when I want to 'derestrict' the exhaust, it only takes a matter of seconds to transform the car.

Still prefer the sound of the Hiper though. It was louder, but didn't drone anywhere near as much as the Nur.

Bobbeh
27-01-05, 13:22
No, quite the opposite. I like the fact that I don't have to put up with a horrible drone all day, every day

Thats why I didnt buy a Nur Spec.