The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Somebody tell me what GPS reciever to buy!

Jake

I've got an iPAQ4350, TomTom Navigator 2 and UK maps but I still need to buy the GPS reciever and cradle (anything else?)

I've asked on a few newsgroups but all I get told is to go to different web sites and read the reviews. That's not much good when I don't know sod all about these things and don't know which features are important or not.

If it makes any difference, the iPAQ I've got has Bluetooth but does not have a CompactFlash slot and only has a 64MB memory card fitted, it seems that I can fit the whole of the UK from Manchester down on this card ok though.

Anyone recommend a good GPS reciever and cradle that will work well in a Supra?

Thanks

Mate, I've looked at this in detail for myself. What you can do easily is get a handheld GPS from GARMIN (£100) cheaper and more use than a Flashcard GPS and plug it into your iPaq's data port. All you have to do is put the GPS on the dash or in the glove box. It is more reliable than the plugin flash GPS's because it locks onto more satellites/has more channels, and is usable as a stand alone unit. If you right off your Supe between Basra and Baghdad but can still walk you'll still be able to navigate to Syria using the handheld GPS.

Hope this helps

Garmin Etrex by the way from Amazon.co.uk

J.;)

Basra and Baghdad? I'm not planning on re-enacting Bravo Two Zero mate! :p

Hmmm, Interesting suggestion though Justin ....

Are you suggesting using a Garmin as a GPS receiver, so I could still use TomTom on my iPAQ? I want the TomTom stuff because 1, I really like

2, I've already got it

The TomTom Navigator 2 and UK maps is a very nice piece of software, my mate has it installed on his IPAQ 2210 and it runs really well! have you downloaded the speed camera plugin for it? thats pretty neat too, so it combines as a GPS sat nav and GPS speed camera detector..

He is in a similar position as you're in and he just can not decided whether to get a GPS system that plugs into the compact flash slot, or to get a blue tooth GPS, I personally would get a blue tooth GPS since they come with their own recharge able power source..

Only thing is, im not sure if the GPS system needs a line of sight to the GPS satellites? I just assumed you could throw a gps blue tooth into your pocket and it would work just as well if it was on a car dash, apparently this isnt the case and you'd need to strap it to your head with duck tape for it to work effectively :blink: can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by osso

have you downloaded the speed camera plugin for it?

No I haven't got that, I didn't even know it existed. What's it called exactly? I must have it!

Only thing is, im not sure if the GPS system needs a line of sight to the GPS satellites? can anyone confirm this?
Yes that is my understanding

I dont know how the flash GPS receiver works, but the garmin is defi a better thing, they have been making them for years for planes. I know some pilots even carry them, as there easier to use than the $10,000 Aircraft system fitted.

As for the antenna, for the best reception they should idealy be on the highest point of the car, i.e. roof (al'la BMW) but not many people want to put a hole in the top of their car. So on the dash is the next best thing, but if you think how far the signal has to travel, well theres not much signal strength by the time it gets to you. So line of sight is best, but we have got aircraft system to work in the hangar(steel clad). But the amplification will be better than in a handheld box.

Same here, a Haicom GPS that plugs into the CF clot on my 2210. Only problem is the constant removal in/out of the car that sometimes dislodges the GPS from the CF slot and then requires a soft reset. Difficult whilst driving.

So if its in-car use only, then a separate bluetooth GPS would be a better bet.

Tom Tom make a bluetooth GPS receiver and a proper plug in cradle for most of the HP Ipaqs, so give their website a look

Originally posted by Jake

Basra and Baghdad? I'm not planning on re-enacting Bravo Two Zero mate! :p

Hmmm, Interesting suggestion though Justin ....

Are you suggesting using a Garmin as a GPS receiver, so I could still use TomTom on my iPAQ? I want the TomTom stuff because 1, I really like

2, I've already got it

Yes I am. Just plugs into the PDA's date port via a cable. I saw it in action with TomTom in Austria. Worked a treat.