The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA insurance update / warning

Scooter

Renewal on my non turbo is due 03/02/04.

Awaiting my current insurers (Lifesure) renewal quote before i really go hunting, but how's this for some preliminary work (with quite worrying results).

On Tesco's i ran through all my correct details and then took off the points i have, to see the resulting effect on the quote.

I then did the exact same thing saying i had a 94 GZ TT instead of my 98 SZ.

..................................................SZ...........................GZ

6pts (02) and 3pts (99)........1144.50....................891.45

just the 3pts (99)..................947.10.....................736.05

Clean licence.........................922.95.....................717.15

First point (minor) is that although the 3pts back in 99 no longer count they do still impact on your premium.

Secondly and in my opinion this is bizarre, me with a clean licence and a SZ is still more expensive than me in a GZ with all the points declared.

If my current insurers don't come up with the goods i can see Supra number 4 on the horizon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Scooter

Secondly and in my opinion this is bizarre, me with a clean licence and a SZ is still more expensive than me in a GZ with all the points declared.

But dont forget that you are comparing a '98 SZ against a '94 GZ. There may be quite a difference in vehicle value.

Having said that, after insuring my '93 GZ online with Direct Line, I ran through the details for a '93 RZ. Result - an extra £105 on the premium :eek:

Originally posted by Gordon F

But dont forget that you are comparing a '98 SZ against a '94 GZ. There may be quite a difference in vehicle value.

Possibly but i don't think there is much difference between the market price of a 98SZ and 94GZ and I didn't change the section for estimated value either (maybe i should to see if this make any difference at all).

I not even gonna try and understand it, i'm just going to look elsewhere or maybe change cars!

Not sure how much vehicle value effects the premium with some insuruers. Last year Tesco only asked me whether the car was valued over £30k, it was the same premium no matter what value if under that.

Did make me think that they would just take a book value in the event of a claim though.

Almost every insurance company will only pay book value for a car. Unless you can prove its not possible to get a car for that value perhaps?

Lots of companies ask how much you paid for the car as well now so if you paid less than market value (Not likely with the Supra) they only pay out what you paid.

:(

well in summer looks like a change of car may be happening for me as well!! :cool:

Weird aint it that the insurance is cheaper!!! and if a import TT is cheaper then the NA, then TT here i come!

my NA which is a SZ-R i think after trying to read VIN correctly :blink:

£1100 at 20 yrs old wit 2yrs no claims. guy says he may be able to do me for 900 next year which will be good

Originally posted by Faye

Steve,

How did you get an SZ insured for less than a grand???

I live with 1000 old grannies:conf:

I talked Barry White dirty to the girl on the phone?:conf:

I have a large member (not relevant and also not true!):conf:

I am an excellent driver and Tesco respect my drivng attitude and skills:conf:

I have had previous experience with RWD vehicles (200SX, Trek8000 mountain bike):conf:

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

well in summer looks like a change of car may be happening for me as well!! :cool:

Weird aint it that the insurance is cheaper!!! and if a import TT is cheaper then the NA, then TT here i come!

my NA which is a SZ-R i think after trying to read VIN correctly :blink:

£1100 at 20 yrs old wit 2yrs no claims. guy says he may be able to do me for 900 next year which will be good

I think I hate you, I'm older and have more no claims bonus and mines still more!!!!!

I would go down the TT route if I didn't have such a lovely NA, there aren't that many 98 Aeros running around.

I think I hate you, I'm older and have more no claims bonus and mines still more!!!!!

u wont be the first to hate me and im sure not the last :p

Bro is 19 wit 2yrs no claims and pays £850 on his 1.4 nova.....i cannot repeat the words that come from his mouth. lol

I got a quote when looking for a UK TT 6 speed for £700 a year insurance which i was totally impressed my mate got me!

Life is not about what you know, but who you know

steve not sure bout mine, as canford heath is biggest housing estate in europe (learn something new every day) and lets face it was originally all council estate.

Faye - the person i know is one of my best mates who works for insurance broker and when doin my insurance uses the discounts:

* Company car driving Discount

* Comission taken off

* Insured on another veihicle Discount

* mum put on to bring it down (no she does not drive it)

* Insurance brokers employee discount which he asked his boss could he do

*Discount coz have another car insured by them

phew...think thats it on discoutn front!!! :D :cool:

all i have to do is give him £20 for doing it all for me....worth it IMHO

but u think im lucky, his boss gives him free car insurance on his car :eek:

Ok nice little envelope dropped through the letterbox this morning from my current insurers (lifesure) and is trying to relieve me of £998 :(

The serious searching starts tomorrow, will let you know if i find anywhere that helps us NA people out.

If not, unlike Faye i will display no loyalty to my current supra, however nice it is (and i really do like it!) I think it will have to go before next renewal time and maybe before this if something i fancy comes along.

Originally posted by Bradb

Check this.. i got a quote on mi gei Vauxhall 2liter 16v N reg.

Fully comp 750

3rd party f&t £250

I aways was f/comp with mi sup. Massive cost diff tho f0r 3rd party.

true, but they don't let you have third party on anything over a certain value so you generally can't even take this risky option.........

Faye good work, i think i may get all the protection and little extra's taken off and see how low i can get it with my current insurers, as they are very helpful when changing cars and at least i know i can swap to any sup in the year and pay no extra...

could someone please tell me what im doing wrong cos im currently paying roughly £3000 on my insurance and its only a L reg N/A, and that was the cheapest quote i got in the summer when i got the car....... i could do with some savings as i think i might need a new clutch or even a new flywheel (car sometimes adds revs but doesnt pick up speed) i need some serious help!!!!! thanks all

Who are you with at the moment? How old are you?

Im with some small company which i got thru an insurance broker....... im only 20years old which i thought was the main reason for the high price, tesco and the other big firms were quoting me around £500 - 1000 more. But after seeing what whitesupraboy pays, i think the insurance co's just dont like me :mad: