The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GZ...I think

Guest gymrat

Guest gymrat

Hi, I'm going to view an L reg import aerotop...L reg is about 92-93 so do you think it will be TT or maybe a NA S-ZR ?...is there anyway to tell from body styling ? I've only seen a pic of it...and the description is not very good !

Thanks...Tim

Potentially, it could be either a TT of some description or an SZ. I don't think they did SZ-Rs as early as 1993 but I might be wrong. As for the picture, looking for an intercooler is the only suggestion I can give, but it's no substitute for asking the owner/taking a look at the car.

Guest gymrat

I had a read of the pdf download posted by MAWBY....and it looks as if it could be na or tt....the pic I've got of the supra is only one of the outside...so can't see what's under the bonnet.....I'm viewing saturday !

well, the price might help to indicate otherwise.

For reference, *most* GZ TT Aerotops are about £9,500+ at the moment - I'm selling mine at that price - and I've not seen any cheaper.

So if it's majorly cheaper than that, it's either an SZ or a pile of poo! lol

Edited by Pabs (see edit history)

I don't think the NA had the active front spoiler, but AFAIK the spoiler was optional on all the cars, albeit an option that most owners took up. Could look at rubber size, but that would be tricky from a photo. Once you pop the bonnet, you'll soon know (just familiarise yourself with what an NA and TT engine bay looks like before viewing the car).

do the na's have active aero on the front? and i think the rear hoop spoiler was optional on the na's while standard on the TT's. if its got standard wheels you could tell if it were turbo or not by the width of the rubber i suppose.

The only thing you can see from outside the car to determine if it's NA or TT is the intercooler which can be seen through one of the front ducts. Everything else (spoilers, trim, kit, wheels, etc) are available on the TT and NA.

Why don't you contact the seller and ask them? Surely thats better than 2nd guessing.

Also, why are you looking at a car when you don't even know what engine it has?

Guest gymrat

Because....I don't mind whether it's na or tt.....i'll take either !.....it's the styling i'm after, i think they all look beautiful....and i want one ;0)

Because....I don't mind whether it's na or tt.....i'll take either !.....it's the styling i'm after, i think they all look beautiful....and i want one ;0)

Sorry for seemingly being a little rude here, but why would you start a thread asking for info if you really didn't care whether it was an NA or TT?

If you do care - (As already said above) - the price will probably give you a very good idea, or alternatively ask the seller!

Guest gymrat

Just read "what to look for when buying a supra " thanks jamesmark......looks a bit daunting....but i've got a mechanic mate who's toyota trained....might be a good idea to take him along.....spose he'll want half a days wages (tight bstd ha ha !) but it'll be worth it in the long run !

Guest gymrat

it's not that i don't care pabs.....price and insurance are a big factor to me....i said i don't mind which engine it is, as it's the style of the supra i like, i was just asking if you could tell which was which from an outside pic. I'd love a tt in excellent condition....but i aint got 10k to spend !

I was the same, so I went for an NA. If you genuinely don't care too much about performance, then I sugget you do the same (cheaper to buy).

it's not that i don't care pabs.....price and insurance are a big factor to me....i said i don't mind which engine it is, as it's the style of the supra i like, i was just asking if you could tell which was which from an outside pic. I'd love a tt in excellent condition....but i aint got 10k to spend !

Well it sounds like you want an NA to me then, so lets hope its an NA engine :)

Don't buy the first supra you find mate, some people can take months even a year to choose the right one. Make sure you get it HPI'd as there are a lot that may have had panel work done.

As I said earlier post a link to the actual car and also the price as there are a LOT of over priced cars out there.

Also have a look in the for sale section on here as there are a lot of nice cars for sale, and then you can easily check its history by seeing if the seller has posted problems with it on here.

What is your budget?

As you can get a good TT for not much more than an N/A, £10k is for an aerotop or a UK TT6. UK & J-spec TT's can be found from £4k upwards (obvious not aerotops)

Guest gymrat

Ive got about 5k to spend....and my prelude to trade in....look at auto trader, high wycombe, platinum autos, aerotop L reg £3495...thats the one i've been looking at