The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Made a decision

Guest DarrenLee

Guest DarrenLee

Ok

Based on money, insurance and still having to run the new family car I have decided to go for a NON TURBO.

I can hear you all shouting NO but its the right choice for now and maybe in a couple of years I will sell up and splash out.

I have put a deposit down on the below car and hopefully in a week or so it will be mine (and the wifes).

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-63-148-240-4294966972-4294967173/advert.action?R=200832316020443&distance=203&postcode=TS6+9TG&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Thats not the price I am paying [GRIN][/GRIN]

Guest DarrenLee
no both very good chaps i used to work with (there ex toyota salesmen) , have had some nice cars in the past it is a nice looking example aswell give us a pm if you would a sidekick when you go to pick up

Thanks mate thats great.:)

I notice he has a X reg one as well, rare to see one on such a late plate.

That caught my eye too..............its basically my current car (even has a carbon steering wheel) but in black, newer and far less miles. £9K is a whole lot for an NA though be interesting what they'd offer me in PX!

I didn't really like the fact that it has the stock sideskirts but no rear spats........just odd.....

What's a fair price in the current market for that car? (Assuming that it really is an X reg)

£10,500 as its such a late year, and not bad miles. Although the market is low, the car still stands at £10k+ in my eyes. But having said that, just try to find a buyer.

Offer him £8250 and he'll sell.

Great example. Would buy it myself if I had the £s :D

£10,500 as its such a late year, and not bad miles. Although the market is low, the car still stands at £10k+ in my eyes. But having said that, just try to find a buyer.

Offer him £8250 and he'll sell.

Great example. Would buy it myself if I had the £s :D

given your comment in Jim's for sale thread are you assuming the car we are talking about is a TT?

I'm looking for a 6-speed black SZ-R and Jurgen pointed this car out to me tonight as a potential.

Going to speak to the garage tomorrow morning.

If you go to look at it a the weekend or next week, then let me know as i'm not too far away & am off work and would also be interested to see it myself (just to see the condition i'm not direct competition!). I'd happily have a look over it if you wanted a second opinion and if you fancied it you could have a little drive of mine before so you'd have something to compare it to?

If you go to look at it a the weekend or next week, then let me know as i'm not too far away & am off work and would also be interested to see it myself (just to see the condition i'm not direct competition!). I'd happily have a look over it if you wanted a second opinion and if you fancied it you could have a little drive of mine before so you'd have something to compare it to?

If I go and see it it will be this Sunday. I'm at JAE on Saturday and Sunday morning.

My concern with this car is that if it's an X reg then it must have been imported before 2004. I rather wanted a fresh import and that car has possibly seen 4 years of life in the UK.

It's very very close to what I'm looking for though.

I'd love a second opinion if you're available.

Assuming it's an X-reg, does the advertised price seem reasonable, or is it high?

What's a fair price in the current market for that car? (Assuming that it really is an X reg)

I would have thought 7-8k max. There are plenty of nice NAs around for the £4k mark at the moment, so I can't see anyone forking out more than double that, even for an as new one.

It seems high..............i doubt many are 'very' interested especially with many TT's in the same ballpark cost wise.

I was looking at it the other day and trying to put a price on the 60k miles less, 2 odd years newer and uk brakes etc etc it has over my current car and its a good few grand i spose if you take into account the advanced clutch, suspension compenent, engine etc wear on mine (no major component has required replacement on mine from 40k-90K miles, only the front shocks ,brake discs (fronts only i think!) and pads and general service parts have been changed)

But equally for me right now i'd be hard pushed to spend £3-4K and basically end up with the exact same car :)

I'd not worry overly about the years it may have spent here, mine is showing little/no signs of any corrosion issues (original rad still, power steering cooler ok etc) and its been over here 7 years i think?

I'm golfing until 12ish on Sunday but happy to meet later on and you can see what mine's like after being non garaged and pretty much in daily use in the uk for the last 6-7 years

given your comment in Jim's for sale thread are you assuming the car we are talking about is a TT?

No, not at all ... 3 years younger + 25k less miles ... the value is not just based on the presence of a VVTi under the bonnet (although it does make just a very tiny difference to the car :D)

I hear what you are saying, but still think its a lot of car for sub £9k.

BUT ... whats the VED going to be per year ?

If running costs are an issue, then you've got to be looking to buy a car that was registered in the UK pre March-2001. Surely.

Edited by Fire148 (see edit history)

I'm in the process of Jurgen obtaining for me a 98 black 6-speed SZ-R. The budget is around 8K and that seemed about right to me. Taking that into account this X-reg car doesn't look like bad value. Obviously the price would come down with some fervent haggling.

If you're available Sunday afternoon then I'd be more than happy to have a second pair of eyes look the car over.

No, not at all ... 3 years younger + 25k less miles ... the value is not just based on the presence of a VVTi under the bonnet (although it does make just a very tiny difference to the car :D)

I hear what you are saying, but still think its a lot of car for sub £9k.

BUT ... whats the VED going to be per year ?

Ah i see.......its funny how different folks view things differently......a lot would put Jim's car a fair few £0,000's over this one i think.....not many value the 'newness' or low mileage so much (probably in part because 25k miles is nothing to a supra)

I think he'll be ok VED wise as i think he's right in saying that due to the shift in import laws to be an 'X' reg over here it must have been registered here some time ago and almost certainly has no emissions data to allow the £400+ ved charged to some more recent 'late' cars (but it'll be worth checking!)

I also think it's a potentially good deal, like i say based on my experiences this spec of car it will be massively reliable and other than the initial outlay will be, as supras go, very cheap to keep for many years.

I'm in the process of Jurgen obtaining for me a 98 black 6-speed SZ-R. The budget is around 8K and that seemed about right to me. Taking that into account this X-reg car doesn't look like bad value. Obviously the price would come down with some fervent haggling.

If you're available Sunday afternoon then I'd be more than happy to have a second pair of eyes look the car over.

Some later registered cars have been put on the wrong plate so be sure to check the actual year of manufacture ... don't ask me how it happens but there's been a few around.