The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track day car?

JamesG

I've been thinking about buying a cheap car to do a few track days. I don't really fancy taking my Supra on the track as it's my everyday car and I don't want anything to happen to it (plus it's an automatic).

Can anyone recommend a good car? I'm thinking of spending up to about 2500 quid on one. My first choice at the moment is a Nissan 200SX. The early S14 models seem quite good - reasonably powerful and RWD.

What else would I need to make a car suitable for track use? I'd definitely go for a roll cage, bucket seats and uprated brake pads. Anything else I've forgotten?

Cheers,

James.

Guest Andy Mac

What about an Mr2 turbo?? 245 bhp stock, and mid engine/rwd! very fast, and great handling! i had mine running at 280 bhp with a simple raise in boost!

Originally posted by Jake

Mate, if you really want to scare yourself, buy a Fireblade or a R1

Much more fun and waaaaay faster than an(y) MR2

Jake im seriously thinking of getting another track bike this year , you up fo any track days ????? Thought we could get a few of the bikers on here and go have some proper fun !!!!

Dude:flame Dev

Cheers everyone! That's given me some ideas. A bike would be nice but I'm sure I'd end up killing myself on one.

Whatever car I choose, it has to be a UK spec car really as I know from the Supra that getting insurance for a jap import is a nightmare. I like the Mk1 MR2 as I drove my mates and it was very good. But they are really a bit too old now.

James.

Originally posted by JamesG

What else would I need to make a car suitable for track use? I'd definitely go for a roll cage, bucket seats and uprated brake pads. Anything else I've forgotten?

Cheers,

James.

The S13 200SX is a better track day car IMO, cheaper too. Has a screamer of an engine:)

My S14a doesn't compare to one of those as a track day car.:cool:

Originally posted by Steve W2

The S13 200SX is a better track day car IMO, cheaper too. Has a screamer of an engine:)

Interesting. I originally wanted an S13 but decided that they were all too old and would require a fortune in maintenance. Maybe I should look for a good one of those.

James.

Originally posted by JamesG

Interesting. I originally wanted an S13 but decided that they were all too old and would require a fortune in maintenance. Maybe I should look for a good one of those.

James.

My mate had an S13 that he paid 2K for a couple of years back. It was the car that inspired me to get the S14, in reality though, just for fun, the S13 was a much better car.

Cheap for parts too and you can go on the SXOC for advise and help.

A cheap manual boost controller would see silly power;)

For track days and having fun then RWD is the way to go as you probably already know. 200sx's are a good buy, mate of mine swears by them. Have you thought about something like a Talbot Sunbeam? £1-2k area will get you a good one thats probably already been modified. Also XR4i Sierra (RWD), under £1k then spend another £500+ giving it suspension and engine upgrades. Parts for these two cars are a lot cheaper than later japanese models. Food for thought.

I was looking into exactly the same thing last year, I was after a rally/track car for very cheap money. I got an XR4x4 which has a 65/35 rear to front drive split. When pushing it hard on the road it feels like a RWD car but when your sideways and feed in the power the 35% power split to the front makes it feel like a good 4WD car.

For track cars it's a good idea to go for as cheap as you can find as then you won't have any worries about pushing the car to its limits. If you find that you end up creating a nice "tyre wall with car sculpture" then simply buy another one.

• 2 weeks later...

My S13 200SX will be up for sale around April time.

73,000 miles (will prob be at 74k by then), all service bills for last 7 years, engine has rarely been over 5000rpm in that time (and never over 6000rpm (it's redlined at 7000)), and never over 3000rpm when cold. Totally stock, 5 spoke BBS alloys, no rust, regularly serviced every 6 months and all bills + MOTs + tax discs (!) available. I've had several offers from the owner's club for it but would be happy to see it go to someone on here.

£1500, and I'm in Harlow so with you being a Cambridge boy it's only a 20min trip down the M11 and you can come see it. It's been well looked after, never thrashed, garaged for most of the time, and utterly, totally reliable. You can even speak to the garage who've serviced it for the past 7 years for an independant review.

And it's in the best colour too - black :)

Edit - Thatcham Cat 1 alarm too.