The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID ballast packs ..... where ?

Matt _Aero top_

I've put mine on the crossbar just behind the front bumper.

Me too. Initially I had them tucked away against the side, but the heat from the turbos kept making the drivers side ballast overheat and switch off. On the crossbar behind the bumper they get a little airflow as well as stay dry, and you can hide them, as I think they're ugly :)

How do you get to the crossbar? Do you have to take the bumper off?

Nope, you can see/access it with the headlights off. It's just behind the stock bumper's polystyrene bits. Conveniently, it also has holes through which you can secure the ballasts. Fiddly yes, but also good place to secure the relay wiring too.

ok uder the headlight or on the crossbar it is , my next question was how to fasten it down securely , but i think the last post more or less explained that as i don't want to go drilling holes anywhere .

Neither positions need drilling - below each headlight should be a large bolt (visible in the picture above) where you can secure the ballast cage before slipping it in.

When I fitted mine to the crossbar, I used cable ties to position them first, followed by very heavy duty ties once the units were slipped in. I know cable ties seem a shortcut way to do things but I'm a perfectionist and they are solid as a rock in there. Plus, I had the luxury of being able to move them elsewhere quite easily.

Matt, any chance of you either posting or PMing me pics of where you plugged in the HID looms to the stock looms. I am unable to decipher my instructions, they appear to have been drafted by Niz. (no offence)

The bit of loom that would normally plug into the standard bulb plugs into the ballast instead. The loom coming from the ballast then plugs into the new HID bulb, and IIRC one ballast acts as master and has a cable that runs to the second ballast, instead of that plugging into the original bulb's loom.

The bit of loom that would normally plug into the standard bulb plugs into the ballast instead. The loom coming from the ballast then plugs into the new HID bulb, and IIRC one ballast acts as master and has a cable that runs to the second ballast, instead of that plugging into the original bulb's loom.

Thanks, Steve, that one sentence makes more sense than 3 pages of pigeon-English techno-babble!:)