The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ID'ing a VVTi NA

Scooter

Ok per various sources my age of NA should be a VVTi

BUT unlike the TT's on my car there is no clear underbonnet indication of this?

BUT the attached picture is of an American VVTi NA that does have the VVTi on the cambelt cover?

I'm thinking that the cover was put on the USA models but not bothered with on the home market J-spec motors? but does anyone know of anything specific under bonnet or perhaps a trend of a dyno power curve etc that would prove its a VVti or not.

vvti na.jpg

My TT has VVTI on the engine cover...and the cover is a bluey/green if that helps....I would think a big company like Toyota would produce the basic engines in one factory on one line so if it was VVTI I would expect it to have the same cover as mine...HTH.

But I could be talking b@llocks.!:p

Originally posted by Darren

My TT has VVTI on the engine cover...and the cover is a bluey/green if that helps....I would think a big company like Toyota would produce the basic engines in one factory on one line so if it was VVTI I would expect it to have the same cover as mine...HTH.

But I could be talking b@llocks.!:p

Yep mines the same as the above!

Does your plug cover have the extra "bump" on the front? It's visible in the photo on the front of the inlet cam side. It's only the VVTi's that have this lump and is something to do with the VVTi setup. VVTi's also use a different top rad pipe to non VVTi lumps due to this bump on the plug/cam gear cover.

Does that make sense?

Ben..

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

As said before its deffo the bump thing that determines if its VVT-i or not......

For a TT engine yes, but what about for the NA? Can't say I've ever seen a photo of the VVTI NA engine so as far as I know it may look the same as the non-VVTI one.