The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil :(

wilkorangerover

hi there ive noticed my 1995 twin turbo is dumping loads of oil through the hks dump valve after a hard drive it will run down the heat shield:(, so i removed the inter cooler pipework to find a little stream of oil(not a film) in the pipework, does this sound like turbo seals??

Edited by wilkorangerover (see edit history)

Sounds like pressure side of turbo seals is starting to go, if you're not seeing any smoke, i would very much doubt that its valve stem seals, unless oil can run uphill, and back through the intercooler to get out of the DV;) even if you had the DV just before the throttle body, i cant see that happening.

Sounds like stem seals to me if it does it when its been parked up for a while as this gives the oil time to find its way past the seals and as soon as you start it then there is your puff of smoke!!

I know this as mine does it and needs new VSS's!!!!

after parking it up friday night and cleaning all the i/c pipes out which i could get to

i went out tonight and gave her some fist, i am now confused because there is just a tiny amount of oil coming out of dump valve (very tiny)

took the i/c pipes of which i cleaned and there still clean:search:

it just chucked a puff of smoke out once and a slight smell of oil

but that was once in loads of boosts,

iam now left confused with the car as i had some turbos lined up but i am not sure if thats the prob

Eh?

One would hazard the English terms: Ragged the tits off, WOT, Hammered, Nailed it around, generally boisterously hoofing the right foot? (general way of telling if your 12 year old+ ailing car is truly fubar ... and not performing like 2 year old car ;))

Edit: Not meaning to sound mean btw ;) These cars - well some of them - are quite old, and need a bit of TLC, and cannot be expected to be ideal runners (especially if someone either hasn't maintained them or has badly tuned them), unless in the care of a sympathetic individual - mind you - saying that, some of these Supras can take quite a bit of abuse and not fail!

Edited by sdavies (see edit history)

One would hazard the English terms: Ragged the tits off, WOT, Hammered, Nailed it around, generally boisterously hoofing the right foot? (general way of telling if your 12 year old+ ailing car is truly fubar ... and not performing like 2 year old car ;))

Edit: Not meaning to sound mean btw ;) These cars - well some of them - are quite old, and need a bit of TLC, and cannot be expected to be ideal runners (especially if someone either hasn't maintained them or has badly tuned them), unless in the care of a sympathetic individual - mind you - saying that, some of these Supras can take quite a bit of abuse and not fail!

That clears that up nicely :) I thought he'd gone off topic for just that sentence...

I had the same problem. When pushing the TT to the limits the BOV would vomit a nice load of oil in the engine bay... looks like a banger car and is bad for youre confidence (spelling...) in the TT.

We replaced the tubbies with 20K ones form the good US of A and... problem solved. And they spool alot quicker and harder :eyebrows:

Your turbo seals are giving up.

For a good test you will need high gear load on the turbo's ie illigal speeds, so be safe! :innocent:

Dennis