The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Glass/Perspex roof

Rob Dublin

"Just buy an Aero-top" replies aside, how feasable would it be to cut back the sheet metal roof skin and replace it with glass/perspex, ie the low area between the outside haunches? Best comparitive example, Targa 997 Porker (attached image) tho not openable.

Immediate problems I can think of:

1. Obviously there's curvature involved so it's not 100% straight forward, especially glass.

2. "roll over" sub-frame in the way over the rear 3/4 windows.

3. Joining the perspex/bodywork to get a good seal.

4. Custom headliner.

porsche-997-targa-4S.jpg

Have a look over the Carbon Supra thread and see the work they did on the roof...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461872

(pics down at the moment)

It's not just a case of chopping the middle out and it'll look bab anyway if if doesn't flow into the rear glass (which it can't).

Paint the middle a different colour to achieve the look without turning the car into a jelly.

But why? if you have a targa roof and want the sun and wind the take it off

Can't see an easy way of making it openable, would just be a fixed panel.

why cook the top of your head the rest of the time?:blink:

Chance would be a fine thing in the climate here! Would probably tint it anyway, clear perspex wouldn't look right.

Have a look over the Carbon Supra thread and see the work they did on the roof...

It's not just a case of chopping the middle out and it'll look bab anyway if if doesn't flow into the rear glass (which it can't).

Paint the middle a different colour to achieve the look without turning the car into a jelly.

Will do, will check back there later on.

Agreed, can't flow into rear, but mightn't look too bad anyway. Not doing it to get a look like the carbon bonnet left unpainted. Wouldn't do it unless it could be made to look factory as possible.

Attached MS Paint sketch attached (yes I know it's a model Supe!)

33738w_zoom.jpg

Guest CoolsBlue

just get one of those pimp my ride, universal sunroofs that retract, trust me, itll look like a celica, dont do it. if toyota thought a sunroof would look good on a supra, theyd of done it. it will look crap end of, and youd probably regret it to

just get one of those pimp my ride, universal sunroofs that retract, trust me, itll look like a celica, dont do it. if toyota thought a sunroof would look good on a supra, theyd of done it. it will look crap end of, and youd probably regret it to

here here:d

do it, I'd be interested to see the end result...not that I'd want it done, but it's your car, fair play for trying something different.

Just consider what it'll do to your resale chances/value though before getting gun-ho (sp?) with the gold pants

Guest CoolsBlue

iirc there was a supra on ebay ages ago with a sun roof fitted, really didnt go agaist the car, ill try to find some pics, but it has been done before