The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na TT vs Vtec

Guest gymrat

Guest gymrat

Hi all....

Yep...I know it's a 3ltr v6 but it's heavy !....I want to know how a Supra non turbo compares to My Honda Prelude 2.2vtec si, cos when I hit 3500 revs and the vtec cuts in she goes pretty well...I'm def gonna buy a Supra anyway...but would like to know from someone who's driven both....thanks....Tim :eyebrows:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would imagine there wouldn't be a huge gap in performance. Supra has the edge in terms of HP, probably 20 more or so and is RWD so in theory better traction. Supe I think has much better torque too. While the prelude is lighter, it's certainly not an Aeriel Atom.

You mention the Vtec at 3.5k rpm, wait till you hit 5k in the Supe....

Hi all....

Yep...I know it's a 3ltr v6 but it's heavy !....I want to know how a Supra non turbo compares to My Honda Prelude 2.2vtec si, cos when I hit 3500 revs and the vtec cuts in she goes pretty well...I'm def gonna buy a Supra anyway...but would like to know from someone who's driven both....thanks....Tim :eyebrows:

Could always buy a 300ZX and these days are more rare than Supra's

Guest gymrat

Prelude is RWD...Accelerates well....scared an M3 recently, beat me for speed....but gave him something to think about ! I've looked at 300ZX's but they're big...200SX ok but not keen on shape....Skyline, love the back end...hate the front....Prelude VTI'S look like a vauxhall chevette at the front !!!....Supra, beautiful all round ( just like my 1992 prelude ;0) ).....it's just a question of researching the different types and getting a good deal....!

Prelude is RWD...Accelerates well....scared an M3 recently, beat me for speed....but gave him something to think about ! I've looked at 300ZX's but they're big...200SX ok but not keen on shape....Skyline, love the back end...hate the front....Prelude VTI'S look like a vauxhall chevette at the front !!!....Supra, beautiful all round ( just like my 1992 prelude ;0) ).....it's just a question of researching the different types and getting a good deal....!

Ooooh you have that model of Prelude!

I'd say in that case get a TT and be amazed :D

Firstly, NA TT :blink:, do you want an NA or a TT?

Secondly....

Prelude is RWD....

Unless you or a previous owner have converted it (don't even think you can with the 2.2) then you have been bullshi77ed by the previous owner, as there is no such thing as a RWD 1992 Prelude.

Unless you or a previous owner have converted it (don't even think you can with the 2.2) then you have been bullshi77ed by the previous owner, as there is no such thing as a RWD 1992 Prelude.

That's what I thought before I got side-tracked! Would love to see pics if wrong tho.

That's what I thought before I got side-tracked! Would love to see pics if wrong tho.

Something about this guy doesn't add up, he has TWO newbie posts and in the other he says he has had Preludes for seven years (which is surely long enough to realise there not RWD). He then goes on to say that he has been looking at NA TT supras, which we all know don't exist as I dont think he means NA - TT conversions.

Hmmmmmm........... The secret detective in me comes out to play :sly:

Guest gymrat

Mark....My prelude is a jap import 2.2 vtec si auto 1992, and I can respectfully tell you that it is def a rear wheel drive....it's the third one I've owned and although I know nowt about Supra's, I've learned a little about Preludes over the years......anyway, was looking for a na TT.....but from what I've read so far it looks as if the TT is the one to go for.....just don't wanna kill meself as I do like a little spin on the weekends !!.....might be better off with non turbo to start with !!

Cheers, Tim ;0)

Mark....My prelude is a jap import 2.2 vtec si auto 1992, and I can respectfully tell you that it is def a rear wheel drive....it's the third one I've owned and although I know nowt about Supra's, I've learned a little about Preludes over the years......anyway, was looking for a na TT.....but from what I've read so far it looks as if the TT is the one to go for.....just don't wanna kill meself as I do like a little spin on the weekends !!.....might be better off with non turbo to start with !!

Cheers, Tim ;0)

I also had an import 4th gen (1995) Prelude Si Vtec for over 4 years, previous to my Supra, and it was definitely front wheel drive, but it wasn't 4-wheel steer.

Are you sure yours was a 4-wheel steer, as I'm sure the Si vtec was slightly more powerful than the standard vtec, but didn't have that feature?

Good luck in your search :)

Ignoring the Preludes

How dare you.......:p

Preludes were ALL FWD I am a Honda enthusiast myself (shhhh) and I can tell you they are FWD, you could possibly be thinking about the four wheel steering system, but the only RWD preludes are converted ones, which usually have S2000 or V8 engines in them.