The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello - Thinking about a supra - disillusioned with the MR2

Guest Paul White

Guest Paul White

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Supra Mk4 TT and joining the Elite ;) as I have always loved the Supra to pieces!!!!

The problem is all my money is tied up in my MR2 - Mk2 revision 3 turbo... I havent been able to drive it for the past 2 y3ears as its had an overheating problem. In fact is has been in repair for the past 2 years!! It with one of the top MR2 repairers in the country (i only regard 3 of them as the best) - but all 3 of them cant find the issue. (not going into detail - but a dye test this week should finally find the problem)

I basically want to know from anyone who had an MR2 and went to a supra - Idealy i would like to check one out properly and take one for a test drive. I live in surrey and want to know any decent dealers that i can head off to take a look.

Once my MR2 is repaired i should consider selling it soon and get a supra.... but is the car market poor/stagnant?

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Supra Mk4 TT and joining the Elite ;) as I have always loved the Supra to pieces!!!!

The problem is all my money is tied up in my MR2 - Mk2 revision 3 turbo... I havent been able to drive it for the past 2 y3ears as its had an overheating problem. In fact is has been in repair for the past 2 years!! It with one of the top MR2 repairers in the country (i only regard 3 of them as the best) - but all 3 of them cant find the issue. (not going into detail - but a dye test this week should finally find the problem)

I basically want to know from anyone who had an MR2 and went to a supra - Idealy i would like to check one out properly and take one for a test drive. I live in surrey and want to know any decent dealers that i can head off to take a look.

Once my MR2 is repaired i should consider selling it soon and get a supra.... but is the car market poor/stagnant?

Hi Paul

at the moment you can pick up some very tidy tt's for around the £6k mark, and I have to say once you get in a supra, you will get the supra bug..for sure

nothing i have driven in my life offers the thrill, execpt from a TVR cerbera and they are around 11k. Being a new owner mind you, i would warn you to take it easy round bends as they do tend to snap out when you least expect it and they do tend to lul you in to a full sense of security and you end up in the barrier. I lost mine round the corner after only owning it for 4 days, and i was only doing 40 mph in the dry......:( its at millways at the moment going to cost a few grand in repairs....:D

nothing dives like a supra...you will love it..just take it easy...trust me and im sure many will agree with me..

i have had both mr2 tubby and supra tt. the supra is much more sure footed than the mr2 which is a tail happy little car. the supra is much better at handling the power at the back wheels.

as for moving on up to a supra, the fuel costs are higher but the service costs are about the same. plus (in my case anyway) the insurance is cheaper on the supe than an mr2 -i think because so many mr2s end up bonding with trees.

Guest Paul White

Hi all, thanks for the responses.. im getting the same in the MR2 world.. people saying keep with the MR2 - unless its a good and well build/modded supra.

My MR2 does a good 0-60 in 5.2.... (when its working) ..... but i heard a well modded supra the other day.. and the sound of the engine was music to my ears as the guy pulled out onto the A3. he did floor it through most of the gears.....

the problem with the MR2 - 2 seats..

does a baby seat fit in the back of the supra ?

I came from 3 MR2's in various stages of modification to the Supra, I love both cars, I know what you're saying though the I6 sounds amazing & it looks the nuts.

If you get a stock Supe & keep it that way you shouldn't have too many problems, if you start modding or buy a poor example be prepared for a lot of bills.

I never regretted moving to the Supra though

Hi and welcome mate

I never had a mr2 but ive been in a few there nice cars.It sounds to me like youve had the mr2 too long now and its time for a change.I know its a buyers market just now but the way things are going that could last a while.

So although you probably wont be able to sell your mr2 for a price you would like to,you can buy a nice supra for a good price.

If that makes sense!

Guest Paul White

How much do you recon a stock Mk4 TT in mint condition is worth? (or even good condition)

I have seen some for £6k. Are they even worth looking at?

I have seen some for £6k. Are they even worth looking at?

Possibly but be prepared to spend money on top of that - factor in a full fluid change, brake discs and pads, a new intercooler if not already replaced and so on... if you get a good one that's been well looked after it could be a bargain, if you get a neglected one that looks pretty you could end up with a money pit.

Shop with your eyes wide open, not your heart.