The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Low angle car ramps

JamieP

2bh i made some out of wood (well my old man did) absolutely solid (can get pic if u wanna see how they were done). I never trust the welded ones, i bought some from a motor company a while ago, not bad but the welds didnt look up 2 much and werent totally flat sitting on the floor without weight.

Save urself probably a 130 sheets and get some tough wood and DIY it.......

2bh i made some out of wood (well my old man did) absolutely solid (can get pic if u wanna see how they were done). I never trust the welded ones, i bought some from a motor company a while ago, not bad but the welds didnt look up 2 much and werent totally flat sitting on the floor without weight.

Save urself probably a 130 sheets and get some tough wood and DIY it.......

Hmm... how much do they weigh? Less than paving slabs I suppose :D

Dunno how much you paid for the welded ones you got, but maybe it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'? These might cost 130, but they sit flat on the floor and, while I'm no expert, the welds look pretty good. :)

I dont think i would trust wood tbh:blink:

The wooden ones will i think be of solid construction ie several planks on top of eachother, firmly fixed together and then the slop cut into them, there is nothing to not trust as (unlike even the metal ones) there is no air between the car and the ground just solid wood.

The wooden ones will i think be of solid construction ie several planks on top of eachother, firmly fixed together and then the slop cut into them, there is nothing to not trust as (unlike even the metal ones) there is no air between the car and the ground just solid wood.

Now you explain it like that it makes sense:)

I pictured a wooden framed ramp not a solid one:slapped:me:d

How much use are ramps like these really though? OK you can get the car in the air, but you can't do an oil change for example....

i know what you mean................if i had them i think once its up and the wheels are on the flat part i'd have to have use a trolley jack and wood etc and lift it a bit more on the central crossmember and then flip the ramps 180 degrees or just replace with axle stands before relowering. The attraction i spose is an easy (practically and on the car and the your lifting gear) lift in the first place, rather than faffing around with jacks on/near the sills and a bit one side and then the other before you can really get under it properly?

I pictured a wooden framed ramp not a solid one:slapped:me:d

Indeed that would be a worry :D...................reminds me of those (ok a bit nerdy) science contests to construct a bridge that can handle the max weight but only be made out of a limited number of matchsticks :)

How much use are ramps like these really though?

Enabled me to replace my blown turbos myself, so they've paid for themselves already :)

I just feel happier going under the car when it's wheels are on something rather than using axle stands.

I bought a 2 sets of standard rams from the recycling centre at the tip for £10. Cut one pair down by slicing approx 3" as a wedge out of the middle. Then reweld them back together. I also cut the tyre stop off the ends and flared the ends out so the shallow ramp would fit over and onto the steeper ramp. That way you get a two stage ramp which works brilliantly. Cost me £10 about three hours a tin of old hammerite to make them pretty.

The baeuty is that when the car is up on the ramps you remove the shallow ramp and have unobstructed access around the sills etc.

I will try to put up a piccy tomorrow to show you.

• 8 months later...