The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To the Alps and back over the weekend.

Ben-san

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my weekend out in the French, Swiss and Italian Alps with some friends.

Driving the Supra will never be the same again. I've never really had the chance to explore its handling potential, and truthfully, it was put through its paces and didn't break a sweat. I've fallen in love with the car all over again, and feel as though I've come away a better driver.

We started off on Friday and got back last night - so suffice to say, the poor thing is still covered in various forms of winged creature from the motorway stints. We did the Grand Saint Bernard pass, the Petit Saint Bernard (which incidentally, is infinitely better than the former), spending the whole of Sunday crossing peaks and valleys till the late evening.

In hindsight, we should have taken an extra day - but there's something in the nonchalance of embarking on an epic trip and being back in the office a couple of days later!

Thoroughly recommend it guys. If anyone needs any tips on routes and where to stay etc, feel free to give me a shout. :)

Edited by Ben-san
Typo (see edit history)

wow! Awesome post! Nice Audi R8 and Cobra too!

Both are stunning in their own right - the Cobra, as expected is a Dax Tojiero, not an original. But, it's a 5.7l and very well put together. Sheer torque carried him up the hills - mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear up the very steep and slow hairpins :)

The R8 had just 600 miles on the clock - he just picked it up from Stutgart before meeting us in Geneva for the rest of the trip. The whole thing is just a magnificent piece of engineering.

And very nice sup!

Merci monsieur! I was toying with the idea of changing the wheels but having driven it in stock form around the twisties, I think I'm quite happy to stick with it the way it looks...

That looks like a great trip. Nice shots too ;)

Stunning pics and well done to the Supra :)

Merci X2!

I was quite apprehensive as to how it would handle in the mountains - and it's an auto too. The car has taught me some new tricks :)

There are just too many shots to put up - around 400 shots in total I think! Here's another action shot from the other car:

Sounds and looks like it was an awesome trip. I've been over both the Grand and Petite St Bernard passes and the roads and scenery are simply breathtaking! Sadly that was before I had the Supra, or even a driving license :D

I'd love to do a trip like this but whenever I mention it to my mates they're never willing to commit :(

I'd love to do a trip like this but whenever I mention it to my mates they're never willing to commit :(

Well, that's the thing. It's hard enough getting everyone to take time off (work and other halves) just to go and drive - but realistically, this trip has cost each person something to the region of £1,500 to do - and that was just four days...

Cheers guys.

I'm perpetually paranoid too, so RAC cover to Europe at £38 pour moi! Better safe than carless...

Anyone can do it, but the only thing that can go invariably wrong is... the weather. We thought we were in for a rubbish trip as we trundled through some torrential rain on the way to Reims. Woke up the next day and it was gone! If you do want to do it, or happen to be passing through the region, give me a shout and I can give you some nice TomTom itineraries :D

Very nice!... Fair play to you :) - I've promised myself that when mine's back on the road, I'll be doing a road trip to Europe, obviously it'll cost way way way much more in fuel than flying, but it'll be a driving holiday, so I'll drive :)

Get yourself a photobuket (*sp?) account or something so we can see all of the pics :D

Very nice!... Fair play to you :) - I've promised myself that when mine's back on the road, I'll be doing a road trip to Europe, obviously it'll cost way way way much more in fuel than flying, but it'll be a driving holiday, so I'll drive :)

Get yourself a photobucket account or something so we can see all of the pics :D

It cost me about 6 or 7 tanks of fuel as far as I can remember, that's a round trip from London. Of course these days that's about 75 squid each time.

Absolutely stunning pictures! Love the cobra :love: The R8 is nice, but doesn't stir the heart like the cobra

I agree. I wish you could have seen it through the tunnels between Aosta and the Petit St Bernard - flames spitting either side on the overrun... :yum:

...and to watch the Italians grip their steering wheels in fear as we came through was priceless!

Great photos!!!

I will be there myself in 3 weeks but will be driving an old Volvo 740 as we have a team in Staple2Naples:)

Really want to do a trip in the supe tho

Excellent, the Street Safari :)

Do be careful though mate. I know the 740 has large overhangs front and rear - some of the corners are completely blind and very narrow. We did come past a bike crash on one of those roads and it was a terrible reminder that too much bravery doesn't do anyone any good. Poor fella was being strapped into a spine brace. Try not to get too caught up in the moment and make sure you're thinking straight.

As ol' Clarkson once said: "There's no reset button like you get on playstation - you just go through the pearly gates... on fire!"

This is what we did on Sunday :)