The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my supra is really testing me

Paul372

i dont want to but now i am really thinking of selling my supra, its had problem after problem i just want to drive the thing and enjoy it, i thought i finialy got there with it and all things were fine but no the torque convertor is going i think now so it means more money i ve got to pay out on it. i dont really want to spend more money on it because i am trying to save for our wedding, what do i do, i really like the sup but its really starting to get on my tits the thing eatting up to much of my money will it ever just drive nice with no problems or will i have to keep having to throw money at it.

its already had this year new rad, new water pump, new cambelt kit, new crank shaft seals, aircon pump and regassed, front brake cailpers, discs, pads, braided hoses, rear shocks, tyres and wheels refurbed and i was just about to get a major service done then i find another problem the torque convertor is going, do you think any think more can go wrong with it

Afraid this is the joy of owning an old car.

I doubt you'll ever stop having to replace something.

My cars in soon for complete new suspension, already changed lots of o/e parts and it soon adds up to a few £££'s, i could have bought another car with what ive spent keeping this one in as best condition as possible and im not on about mods either.

i dont want to but now i am really thinking of selling my supra, its had problem after problem i just want to drive the thing and enjoy it, i thought i finialy got there with it and all things were fine but no the torque convertor is going i think now so it means more money i ve got to pay out on it. i dont really want to spend more money on it because i am trying to save for our wedding, what do i do, i really like the sup but its really starting to get on my tits the thing eatting up to much of my money will it ever just drive nice with no problems or will i have to keep having to throw money at it.

its already had this year new rad, new water pump, new cambelt kit, new crank shaft seals, aircon pump and regassed, front brake cailpers, discs, pads, braided hoses, rear shocks, tyres and wheels refurbed and i was just about to get a major service done then i find another problem the torque convertor is going, do you think any think more can go wrong with it

Were you told to get these bits changed, or do you know your way round a car and knew what was wrong? Does sound like you have been rather unlucky, hope the torque convertor is the last of your cars ailments for a long while. Worth sticking with it though as you have spent on it, so you should enjoy it. You could sell it and get more troubles from your next car, you just never know, at least you know whats been done on this one.

i knew they had gone, i know alittle bit about cars and how to do stuff i done most of the work myself which saved me some pounds the only bits i didnt do was the aircon pump, and the cambelt and water pump, i guess your right i could sell up buy another car and get problems with that

You sound the same as I did a month ago (exact same problems aswell, except mine had flywheel and crank go aswell) everytime I fix it, 2 days later something else breaks. So I have decided to buy another little civic for day to day use as the Supra was constantly letting me down(I still havn't got it back after the garage having it for 3 weeks) and getting in the way of work.

So to cut things short, yes, keep it but also make sure your in the AA and don't have it as an everyday car, in my opinion anyway.

Your not the only one with problems. First I had a wheel bearing shot which caused the tyre to have uneven wear and these tyres are 250 quid each!, then the car started to over heat, then the idle stuck at 1200 revs, then the rad finally packed in so replaced that, then my uk brake calipers seized so bought some new ones to then find out they had a crack down the casing concealed with paint then I had to buy brand new calipers direct from toyota as an emergency for 240 quid + vat per caliper!!! Also my fuel pump was making funny noises so now i've replaced that. Suppose this is what you get for a 12+ year old car... fingers crossed its not the engine next haha

Guest dangerousandy

I know the feeling!!! For the first year of ownership all I had to replace was the diff, but in the second year and up to now I have been replacing parts one after the other!! I still love the car though and it gives me so much pleasure driving it that I am sticking with it for the time being. having a Celica to use everyday helps too when the Supra is off the road, as it is now (fuel leak).

Yeah i know what you Guys mean, i had to buy some new wiper blades last year, must be the weather!.;)

Mot next month, lets wait and see what that brings before i laugh too much. So far iv'e bought new tyres and had it serviced a couple of times, new battery and the wiper blades. Not bad for four years, exactly the same as my SAAB so i'm not complaining.

seeing as how you've replaced half the car already i think you should stick it out. Did you get your parts from a breaking supra? might of been cheaper. BTW i just bought a supra tt and you've scared the sh!t out of me.

You need to understand that youre buying a performance car, and an old one at that with performance car running costs ;) Not a dig at you but alot of people go into buying a car like this without even thinking about the cost of parts...

As above what makes you think your torque convertor is going? Its just a hydraulic pump