The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to work out Alloy Offset's??

Clinton

Hiya, basically im looking for a new set of 18" alloys! :D

I am currently on 18" alloys and the front tyre says "225/40 ZR 18" and the rears say "265/35 ZR 18"!

Now i know the 18 is the size of the alloy but

what does the rest represent? i want to find a set that are

deeper and fill out the arches more so what offset should i be looking for that will give me deeper/or wider alloys?

Cheers

Mmmm...?? Thanx for the link but how can i find out its current offset then because i need to know it to be able to work out what the new alloys will be?

If a rear wheel is 9.5" wide (including tyres)...does that help finding anything out?

My current rear wheel measures approx 9.5" wide (including tyre) but still doesnt fill the arches without spacers?

Cheers

Mmmm...?? Thanx for the link but how can i find out its current offset then because i need to know it to be able to work out what the new alloys will be?

If a rear wheel is 9.5" wide (including tyres)...does that help finding anything out?

My current rear wheel measures approx 9.5" wide (including tyre) but still doesnt fill the arches without spacers?

Cheers

have a look on the inside of the wheels mate, 99% of the time the wheel manufacturers emboss it on the back of the spokes. Look for something that says "ET??" The question marks will be your offset. hope this helps. if you then want them too stick out more than your current ones your offset will have to be lower unless you want to use spacers.

I havnt got an exact model of alloys i want, i just want a nice set with a deep dish that will fill the arches! im prob not gonna go brand new to be honest as im not rolling in money! i would say im looking to spend no more than 600 including tyres!

Is an offset of 32 good for the supra? will it fill the arches ok and look good?

Cheers

Tbh mate some decent tyres for 18s are gonna be at least £400 so dont think you will be able to get even 2nd hand wheels for £200.

That said if you have seen some you like post them up im sure we will be able to tell you if they will fit. Also do you have the smaller j-spec or larger uk-spec brakes? As this can effect whether they will fit.

I swear i have seen a few being sold on here for around the 600 mark?? werent these sold for 600..??

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=145103

These are the sort of alloys im after!

So what offset should i be looking at to fill the arches then? would an offset of 35 be good enough or would 40 even be good enough?

Cheers

8.5 front, 9.5 rear just under recommended offset. These are the minimum I would put on a rwd car of this power. :)

The only way to know if the wheels clear bigger, UK, brakes is to try them or search for members who have said their wheels clear uk. :)

IMG_1086 (Large).JPG

Cheers for the tip but i dont have UK brakes anyway so this is not an issue for me; i just wanna set with a nice dish and that will fill the arches!

I was told that the width of the wheel has nothing to do with the offset??...and as my current rear wheels are approx 9.5 wide but have an offset of 50 so dont fill the arches...that is why i keep babbling on about which offset i should be aiming for??

Cheers

Cheers for the tip but i dont have UK brakes anyway so this is not an issue for me; i just wanna set with a nice dish and that will fill the arches!

I was told that the width of the wheel has nothing to do with the offset??...and as my current rear wheels are approx 9.5 wide but have an offset of 50 so dont fill the arches...that is why i keep babbling on about which offset i should be aiming for??

Cheers

:D Lack of uk brakes will be an issue. Trust me. :)

The smaller the offset = more space for the brake calipers. Do yourself a favour and get offsets that suit uk brakes from the start. That way when you need better brakes you don't need to change wheels. :)

I swear i have seen a few being sold on here for around the 600 mark?? werent these sold for 600..??

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=145103

These are the sort of alloys im after!

So what offset should i be looking at to fill the arches then? would an offset of 35 be good enough or would 40 even be good enough?

Cheers

Sorry bud thought you were after new tyres and old wheels, but yeah should be able to pick a set of used wheels and tyres up for that.

Standard offset is 50 so personally i would go for around 40 to bring them out a bit. I think 35 is a little too low and would stick out too far and cause handling issues too. So around 40 is what i think you should be looking for and like said definately go for wider rears.