The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tool advice - ring spanners

Homer

I've been trying to remove the gearbox oil filler bolt, but can't move it, even bent a large 17mm ring spanner trying to shift it!

It's a bit hard to explain what I mean, but is there some of of ring spanner adaptor you can get for normal 1/2 drive tools? There's not enough room to get a socket on it, but couldn't find any alternative tools that would fit in the very small space...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about a 17mm normal ring spanner, with another spanner as the lever? Hook it over the 'open' end of the 17, and pull away :)

Thats how I ended up bending it :D Honestly, there was no shifting it with two 18inch long spanner, there's just too much flex and still not enough leverage.

Flex? You need some decent spanners, Darryl. Them ones made out of compressed milk bottle tops ain't gonna do it. :)

They were draper's finest :D

You're probably right though, will go and get one of those £18 halfords professional ones tomorrow, the pro tools are usually pretty good.

I agree, I didn't say it would be stronger. But a good quality crow foot would do the job.

I've got some like in the first pic you posted, and even with a 19" breaker bar on a nut that still didn't budge, it wasn't spreading or rounding the nut off. 'Strong enough' would be my verdict :D (Mind you, I am a wimp... :( )

The other two types don't look anything like as good, although they might get in places that nothing else will. I certainly wouldn't want to use a breaker bar with them.

Aircraft stuff is imperial only innit wayne??

Yea, but snap-on do both imperial and metric, and are the best tools money can buy, If you do manage to break them go back to the dealer and he will usually replace no questions asked.

Ah and all tooling metric or imperial are either 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, or for the really big stuff 3/4 drive.

Yea, but snap-on do both imperial and metric, and are the best tools money can buy, If you do manage to break them go back to the dealer and he will usually replace no questions asked.

Can you recommend anywhere that actually sells snap-on? I'm after a metric set but haven't managed to find them for sale anywhere!

Second choice is Brittool for me, don't know of any others though..