The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No new Supra to be made

JamesG

Hmm not completely true.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who worked for Toyota and Lexus.

He said they were actually working on the new supra, and that it'll be released when Toyota scores well in F1. (I presume a 1st place?)

The engine would be the lexus 4.3 V8, but with hybrid twin turbos added. Standard 550BHP.

Not quite sure on what to believe. I'll believe it when I see it. Handed down information is to unreliable. I bet the chiefs at Toyota would have quite a laugh read some of the posts.

If they do go ahead with the V8 bi turbo's I can't see very many coming in to this country. They didn't make many UK 3Ltrs let alone 4.3 V8's! Must be aimed at the American market as the supe conquered the states.

Originally posted by MfS

Hmm not completely true.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who worked for Toyota and Lexus.

He said they were actually working on the new supra, and that it'll be released when Toyota scores well in F1. (I presume a 1st place?)

The engine would be the lexus 4.3 V8, but with hybrid twin turbos added. Standard 550BHP.

I don't think it's anything to do with the Supra, different, very hi-tech using F1 knowledge. Possibly in the style of the McLaren F1 of that Yamaha that was made a few years ago.

Note that the Supra race car now uses a version of the Lexus V8.

Is your mate at Burgh Heath?

I think it will be a great shame if Toyota don't make another Supra. For as long as I can remember (not very long!) Toyota have had three sports cars in their line up - the MR2, Celica and Supra. In my family we've had 4 cars from that range :)

If they don't build another Supra, we'll all have to defect and buy Skylines :p

James.

When I was at the canary wharf motor expo last year, before I had the Soop, I asked a guy at the Toyota stand if there would be another one, and he said unlikely. I said what a shame it's awesome, to which he replies 'have you driven the new mr2?' I say no, and he says you're missing out. I would love to find him this year and say 'have you ever driven a Supra?' :)

Seb

I've also heard that there will be a new Toyota sports car launched when the F1 team sees some success, as has been said using the 4.3L engine from the Lexus, but non-turbo so it conform to US emissions. TRD have apparently already produced a supercharger kit for the 4.3L engine which increases power to around 550bhp.

Toyota would be crazy not to produce a high end sports car.

Whether it's called a Supra or not, they really need some glamour and the current Soarer is simply too boulevard (and ugly) to do that sufficiently well.

The MR2 is just another roadster and the Celica is too ordinary and mundane.