The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone running wasted spark setup?

Jim_1979

I'm not sure if I understand this fully. :blink:

Wasted spark systems have a higher potential for spark intensity because the duty of charging and discharging is split between the coils, which allows for more charge time per coil. Additionally, wasted spark systems build up less heat in the coil, making it more reliable.

I'm not sure if I understand this fully. :blink:

Wasted spark systems have a higher potential for spark intensity because the duty of charging and discharging is split between the coils, which allows for more charge time per coil. Additionally, wasted spark systems build up less heat in the coil, making it more reliable.

I think that is comparing to a single coil and distributor set-up. Compared to a coil-over-plug, each coil would be firing twice as often.

Compared to a coil-over-plug, each coil would be firing twice as often.

It would but the actual wasted spark doesn't have the required conditions to produce a good spark as it does when you have the air/fuel mixture present therfore it's not really a full high voltage spark that's wasted.

I'm sure that Toyota wouldn't have changed the setup to wasted spark if they weren't confident in maintaining their record of high reliability.

i looked into this on my last car and got told its a massive step back

Would Toyota fit it to the later cars if this was so, I don't think so. It may well produce a better spark and the six coil pack design could well be inferior.

It's all got to be down to the actual coil pack design and it's reliability.

You've got to remember that the wasted spark coil pack is not just a single coil pack with two outputs, it was obviously designed for a purpose and therefore I cannot see any disadvantages at all.

I trust Toyota. ;)

When you install an AEM in a non-VVTI supra you are converting to wasted spark, this halves the coil charge time which is why you cannot run any sensible boost without an ignition amp like a HKS DLI.

Why you would want to convert to wasted spark intentionally beyond me.

The AEM does it purely because it doesnt have enough ignition outputs, other aftermarket ECUs dont have this issues and therefore dont require an ignition amp.

What is your reason for wanting to convert to wasted spark?

wasted spark isn't a new concept is been around for age's and as they state ..wasted is wasted...more of an emissions thing really it gives you a second burn on the exhaust stroke to get rid of any unburnt fuel.(it's also a cost cutting incentive for manufacturers)

Personally i wouldn't waste you time investigating this for a supe...not unless you a tree hugger;)