The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crap day almost becomes great day

Scott

As some of you may know my turbo's have been fooked and i was left with no option but to put the car into a garage (The Garage in Wishaw).

Well, I phoned "The Garage" today to see if they had started work on my car, they hadn't. I booked the car in almost 3 weeks ago and was told to have it in for last Wednesday. I took it down on the Tuesday so that they could start it as soon as they liked. I gave them a call on the Friday and was told that they were flooded on Thursday and they hadn't had a chance to look at it yet, but they would be doing so over Saturday and Monday, fair enough. I phoned again on Tuesday and was told that because the weather was bad they didn't want to risk taking it out for diagnosis as it would wheelspin :rolleyes: and would be dangerous (these guys drive performance cars in all weather, i have seen it done)

So today i called again and lo and behold they had done nothing. I told them i would be picking the car up today as i had enough. When i got there the girl at the reception said "i've decided were not going to charge you as it wouldn't be fair", i was honestly gobsmacked. I couldn't for the life of me think of a reason to charge me so i just took my keys and left.

The car ran crap as per this thread but i couldn't be bothered with them anymore and i just wanted to get my car home. When i got home i was really pissed off so i decided to get into the guts of the whole system. Took off all the intake pipes and boost pipes, then went about removing the heatshield. I then started checking the actuators, when i gave the one at the 2nd turbo a pull (would be under the heatshield) it snapped back into a different position from when it started. I then put the whole lot back, although nothing was particularly tight, and fired it up. Yay, positive boost!!!

Anyway, as i said nothing was tight so when the 2nd turbo was coming online all boost was being lost so i brought it home and fitted everything properly. I really couldn't be bothered with taking her out again so its fingers crossed for now that she will be ok. I was getting a farting noise when coming off boost lol.

Oh, i have left the heatshield off. Is that a really bad idea for short term? I'm only leaving it off for a while till i get everything working properly then i will be putting it back on.

The day would have been perfect if it wasn't for the Suberpoo running :(

You never know scotster the decision to take it out the garage could save you a few quid mate!

Its looking good so far. I always like to know what the issue is, even if i can't fix it. I try to be a trusting person but you never know nowadays. Took me about an hour to find the problem and i didn't know what i was looking at, i wonder if thats what i would have been charged for ;)

Its looking good so far. I always like to know what the issue is, even if i can't fix it. I try to be a trusting person but you never know nowadays. Took me about an hour to find the problem and i didn't know what i was looking at, i wonder if thats what i would have been charged for ;)

There seems to be a lot of dodgy garages now a days...

My local one quoted £1500 for extensive repairs to the underside of the car... I had it put up on a ramp at a different garage and their mechanics said at best the work was £200.

Glad its getting there.

There seems to be a lot of dodgy garages now a days...

My local one quoted £1500 for extensive repairs to the underside of the car... I had it put up on a ramp at a different garage and their mechanics said at best the work was £200.

Glad its getting there.

I know it makes you think twice about who you can trust thats why im going to take my sup to whifbitz as i have heard good things from them.

That pretty much sums up 'The Garage' and their usual procedures, hope thats lesson learned!;)

I don't really have many options though, thats the problem.

Heard anything about Kevin Ross? (KR Tuning) its the only other place local that i have heard of that has a lot of experience with jap cars and modified cars etc.

It'd be a good idea to do all four actuators mate.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/supra/turbo.htm

After browsing through this it made my "to do" list. :)

Edit: Link not working. Hang on a mo. Blast. Seems the site is down. If you want all the info, pdf's and pics I can email them to you.

Edited by AndyT (see edit history)

It'd be a good idea to do all four actuators mate.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/supra/turbo.htm

After browsing through this it made my "to do" list. :)

Yeah i'm thinking that. I'm not sure how much access i have to the one on the 2nd turbo though (the one that was stuck). I have a very limited amount of space or i would be doing the works on my car myself. Thats the main reason i take it to a garage, time and space (not the enterprise kind) :(

Yeah i'm thinking that. I'm not sure how much access i have to the one on the 2nd turbo though (the one that was stuck). I have a very limited amount of space or i would be doing the works on my car myself. Thats the main reason i take it to a garage, time and space (not the enterprise kind) :(

Reading through Mr T notes the egcv downstream of the 2nd turbo is a sod to do. Worth it though. They don't seem to be much trouble when you're at them.