The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bang!

JamesF

Alright guys and girls.

New to Supra's but not new to modified cars. I live between Carlisle and Lancashire. Had a few tasty motors, will post pics up when I find them. Am looking for a NA and maybe even an auto! Guess Im probably the 50th person today to say that :D

Just wondering if theres any TT snobbery here? I know there can be on some car forums, like where people with the GTIs laugh at the people with the 1.4s etc. Thing is, Im pretty sure the NA will be enough power for what I use it for, and to be a good compromise between style, power, economy etc...

And dont worry, Ive been using the search button for a few days :innocent:

James

And dont worry, Ive been using the search button for a few days :innocent:

Use it for a few more and you'll find 100's of posts from TT owners laughing at NA drivers ;)

And then about the same from NA owners wanting more power :innocent:

Edit: Welcome BTW

More seriously an NA can be OK, depends what you want and what you are used to, plenty of people seem happy enough with them, the one I had for a short period was "ok" in it's own way.

Oh yes, and auto's are for girls. Real men drive Manual TT's. :)

Welcome though.

Aerotops need a medallion to work properly and red ones are pink. Black is the fastest colour and single turbo cars are the holy grail.

Welcome, enjoy your stay and your inevitible N/A-TT conversion thread :D

Haha you seem to know me quite well!!! At the moment due to the girlfriend etc I dont do as much country lane bashing as I used to. Ive also got a 220mile round trip to do every week so I dont want something horrifically unpractical. Adding to the fact that I had a car with 200bhp and it was enjoyable, even though I would have wanted more, I think the Rwd sound and looks will more than make up for the relative lack of power.

Are the back seats ok for short journeys or just for kids?

Has anyone attempted a bit of normal engine tuning on the NA? Cams, headwork, throttle bodies etc?

Ive also got a 220mile round trip to do every week so I dont want something horrifically unpractical.

I think you might be in the wrong place :)

Adding to the fact that I had a car with 200bhp and it was enjoyable, even though I would have wanted more, I think the Rwd sound and looks will more than make up for the relative lack of power.

They can be fun but with the amount of FWD hot hatches that weigh less, have more power and better chassis setups you might find yourself getting frustrated once the novelty of the looks wears off a little.

It depends on who is in the front and how long the legs of the people in the back are. I don't even like going back there to clean them to be honest, it's not a pleasant place to be.

Has anyone attempted a bit of normal engine tuning on the NA? Cams, headwork, throttle bodies etc?

Lots of people talk about it but it's pretty pointless for the costs involved, if you think you'll want to go that route get a TT to start with, it'll be cheaper in the long run. They cost the same to insure, use about the same amount of fuel and while they can have problems that an NA will never experience they are about the same to run / service etc too.

Buy an NA by all means but buy it because that's what you want, not as a starting point for anything more without a massive investment. Having said this plenty of people here have stuck with their cars and fitted turbo kits etc - I'm not sure how many would start with an NA if they could do it all again though...

Kids or short amputees.

Tuning the NA is not worth it, just be happy with the power or buy a TT.

B4 RSK!!!! Ive wanted one of those for ages. Cant afford one though. Ill ignore engine tuning then (apart from noisy mods) and just be happy with the power. I dont think I can really afford to buy a TT to be honest. And wouldnt fuel economy completely disappear with a TT?

B4 RSK!!!! Ive wanted one of those for ages. Cant afford one though. Ill ignore engine tuning then (apart from noisy mods) and just be happy with the power. I dont think I can really afford to buy a TT to be honest. And wouldnt fuel economy completely disappear with a TT?

there is not alot of difference between the N/A and TT as far as economy is concerned, with a TT you will go through alot of tires (and maybe the odd wall or two if you're not used to the power/rear drive set up :))

Guest CoolsBlue
Oh yes, and auto's are for girls. Real men drive Manual TT's. :)

Welcome though.

Yeh and most of them are tt AUTOS:d

i got a na, for a first car and it has alot of power, never driven a tt, but ive been in one, would be to much power for me, so guess a na supra would be a good start for supras

Guest CoolsBlue
Aerotops need a medallion to work properly and red ones are pink. Black is the fastest colour and single turbo cars are the holy grail.

Welcome, enjoy your stay and your inevitible N/A-TT conversion thread :D

What about the V8 conversions?

Guest CoolsBlue
I've yet to see a finished one that's quicker than your average single... sure there are ones being built but not finished yet so my comment stands.

Good point