The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Audi Style Lights

nikbiomed

Hi Guys and Girls

Just wanted some comments on these Audi looking side lights. They are a Prototype I have made for now and fit nicely into the JDL Front bumper. Could probably be made for any other type though. I have used 9x10mm individual LED's rather than that little strip they sell, gives a better light source size and is more like the Audi I think. Not that we want to be seen copying their idea of course!!!!!

Audilights1.jpg

Audilights2.jpg

Audilights3.jpg

Hi Guys and Girls

Just wanted some comments on these Audi looking side lights. They are a Prototype I have made for now and fit nicely into the JDL Front bumper. Could probably be made for any other type though. I have used 9x10mm individual LED's rather than that little strip they sell, gives a better light source size and is more like the Audi I think. Not that we want to be seen copying their idea of course!!!!!

With the Audi, the led lights are actually in or under the headlights, looks good anyway matey...

Sorry to hijack this thread (I think they look fine by the way) but can someone tell me what purpose they serve (as fitted by Audi)? Are these 'Daytime Running Lights' that seem to be rather controversial?

DfT's view.

Another group's opinion.

Yes they are the daytime running lights when on Audi's and Porsche's.

From the second link - how on earth do accidents go up due to higher visibility? Do peds stand in the road more like startled rabbits?! Or like moths do they chase them down?!? :shrug: There is no helping some people.

Edited by Alex (see edit history)

I think thought they were sidelights

Edit, by the way that DFT thing is 50 pages long is there gist of it? Can't see the 2nd link in work.

Yes, in a nutshell the DfT says:

• there IS evidence that DRLs could reduce accidents overall but can't see a link between their use and accident severity
  • their use would increase emissions
  • they could have an adverse effect on motorcyclist conspicuity
  • the costs probably outweigh the benefits
  • er, that's it!

Edited by spartan (see edit history)

Yes they are the daytime running lights when on Audi's and Porsche's.

From the second link - how on earth do accidents go up due to higher visibility? Do peds stand in the road more like startled rabbits?! Or like moths do they chase them down?!? :shrug: There is no helping some people.

Their reasoning appears to be:

Accentuating one group of 'traffic-relevant objects' makes all the other objects less conspicuous - worst case - they might turn into sub-threshold stimuli hence escaping attention ...

Quite! :blink:

Yes, in a nutshell the DfT says:

• there IS evidence that DRLs could reduce accidents overall but can't see a link between their use and accident severity
  • their use would increase emissions
  • they could have an adverse effect on motorcyclist conspicuity
  • the costs probably outweigh the benefits
  • er, that's it!

How do emmissions go up? These are LED's not Halogens! They are more efficient than old sidelights, and brighter/more useful.

Maybe bikes should adopt them?!

The cons seem a bit weak.

• 3 weeks later...