The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Failure - Bottom Ball Joint??

Havard

Hi,

Looking at other threads it seems that it is a popular problem. Question is, should I have both ball joints replaced at once or is it ok just to have the drivers side done. I'll have to ring Toyota in the morning but it's not going to be cheap is it??

H.

the excact same thing mine failed on few weeks back. toyota charge a fair bit for them iirc. i got mine from keron.

the garage showed me the part they took out and it was hell of a state.

I'll get some prices tomorrow but I need to get it sorted quick or we aren't going to JAE......:(

H.

If it's the front lower arms they are very expensive :( 2nd hand is an option but if it's from a crashed car there's always a risk it won't exactly be straight and obviously you're replacing a worn part with another worn/part worn one. If money is a concern then go for the salvage one, if time is a concern you have both options open, if time is not a concern then Nic will be able to undercut anyone in the UK for new parts (though it will still be 2-3 times the price of the salvage price)

It is the lower arm on the drivers side.....:blink:

Due to the lack of time I may just have to bend over and take it on this one. I have just been a bit unlucky of late. This car cost me next to nothing in the first 12 months of ownership, flew through the MOT last time.

This year has been a different story......:(

H.

Just had a price from Toyota for ONE side.........£340.00 & Vat......:(

They have said that if the other one is ok the there is no need to change them both??

H.

That price is b******t, ive got toyota down much cheaper than that inc vat !

Retail with no discount on front lower arm is £242

Retail with no discount on rear lower arm is £169

Ive pm'd you :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ok!

Got a huge problem and we are not going to JAE unless I get things sorted quick.

I rang Toyota today to order the part and it seems that they haven't got any in Europe........:blink: The earliest they can get one to Wigan is next Friday.

I have pm'd Keron to get my hands on a used replacement. Is there any other way of getting around this? I would prefer a new one but beggars can't be choosers!!

H.

Keron or Jezz are you best bets. Jezz has managed to get parts to me next day delivery for only a few quid delivery charge.

If you get desperate I can get one from a scrap yard but won't be able to go there until the weekend. It'll be very cheap (£15-20ish), but it's best not to rely on me!