The mkiv Supra Owners Club

CW suspension pack

pezzler

was just reading an old post by ian c about renewing his suspension with stock parts. sounded like a good idea seeing as my suspension is feeling old but £2000 sound like a good whallop to be parting with. was wandering if anyone had purchased a CW fast road suspension kit? i know absolutely nothing at all about it, but have heard it mentioned in a few threads. i would appreciate any comments ie: what the kit consisted of, price, how it improved the handling and ride quality etc. or in fact any suggestions on what anyone else has done to improve the handling and ride quality of their cars.

cheers

was just reading an old post by ian c about renewing his suspension with stock parts. sounded like a good idea seeing as my suspension is feeling old but £2000 sound like a good whallop to be parting with. was wandering if anyone had purchased a CW fast road suspension kit? i know absolutely nothing at all about it, but have heard it mentioned in a few threads. i would appreciate any comments ie: what the kit consisted of, price, how it improved the handling and ride quality etc. or in fact any suggestions on what anyone else has done to improve the handling and ride quality of their cars.

cheers

I have the same problem handling wise. Not sure what the CW kit comprises of, but its not as simple as shocks and spings with a 15yr old supra. Loads of people have had to replace upper and lower suspension arms over the last few years due to play/wear on ball joints etc (including me). Shocks also seem to be showing signs of age in many supras, so my advice would be to speak to someone locally who has had supras and tinkered with them for ages. My local garage noticed that my dampers were performing differently and but also said they were passable MOT wise. When i spoke to Daryl (Homer) last night at Reading jap meet he had a look and straight away said that they shouldnt be as bad as they were. Expert knowledge is the best starter rather than just replacing parts without first getting someone to diagnose the exact problem.

If another member locally can take a look first, that would be the best starting point (but CW stuff is likly to be good bearing in mind all the positive stuff ive heard in the past)

I had mine done by Chris about 2.5 years ago (he won't remember - he remembers nothing!!!). Its the best money you will spend on suspension and geometry. don't let anyone else wax lyrical about what they can do - usually idle boasts - Chris's set-up is the wasps ankles!!

Overhauling the suspension with new OEM parts is the best money you will ever spend on your car, it makes a massive difference to handling, ride quality and traction. You will be shocked at just how much of a difference it makes.

Drop me an email to the address in my sig if you would like a price list of all OEM suspension parts.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3286/frontsuspensionepchn2.png http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5806/rearsuspensionepcbd0.jpg

I fitted the full Monte suspension overhaul package as in Nic's photos a few months back, to a members car, the difference was astounding. Gradual deterioration of bushes goes un noticed, a full rebuild transforms these cars, if the budget allows. If you need to cut corners i doubts the rear subframe mounts will make as much difference as changing the wishbones and ARB mounting bushes.

I fitted the full Monte suspension overhaul package as in Nic's photos a few months back, to a members car, the difference was astounding. Gradual deterioration of bushes goes un noticed, a full rebuild transforms these cars, if the budget allows.

I know exactly what you mean Chris, I was actually shocked just what a difference it made when I replaced all mine, it really did feel like a new car. I'd obviously been driving around for a number years oblivious to how much the suspension bushes/joints had worn, I remember Ian C saying a similar thing when he did his.

People gladly spend similar amounts of money on bodykits, resprays, BPU and other after market parts, but tend to balk at the price of replacement OEM suspension components. For me though it is easily THE best money I have spent on my car in 9 years of ownership, as it made such a difference.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I am planning to do this in due course with you Chris, how much do you charge for having the suspension done with you??

On an R34 or on a MKIV? If MKIV do you mean fitting all new wishbones and links? Adding the subframe mounts adds a fair bit more, they can be a PITA to get out, and the rear subframe needs dropping. On the R34 Nic bought high end triple adjustable remote reservoir dampers and custom springs, spherical bearing top mounts, the works, big money. He's loaded though, he doesn't even notice :)

If you need to cut corners i doubts the rear subframe mounts will make as much difference as changing the wishbones and ARB mounting bushes.

Which bits would that be?

I can't read the pics too well and I'm not sure which is the anti roll bar mounting?

Front:

48610 (RH)

48630 (LH)

48068H (RH)

48069D (LH)

Rear:

48770A (RH)

48780 (LH)

48726F (RH)

48726G (LH)

On an R34 or on a MKIV? If MKIV do you mean fitting all new wishbones and links? Adding the subframe mounts adds a fair bit more, they can be a PITA to get out, and the rear subframe needs dropping. On the R34 Nic bought high end triple adjustable remote reservoir dampers and custom springs, spherical bearing top mounts, the works, big money. He's loaded though, he doesn't even notice :)

Yeh, it would be for a '98 Supra...

Basically, i just want to renew all wishbones and links just like Chris Burford on here did...

What would you recommend doing on the suspension Chris??