The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advise on joining the ranks of Supra owners!

Guest Robin1000

Guest Robin1000

I've just registered here so firstly, Hello everyone. The forum's great.

Having had a Nissan 200SX, I've been looking to buy a Supra and would like some advise please. I want a TT with full leather, so ideally want a UK car, but a top spec import is the other option.

Anyone got an opinion on which one is best?

I'm struggling to find UK cars for sale, and there are loads of importers out there, can anyone tell me the route they took to buy their car and any issues that arose?

I appreciate your help, thanks

ROBIN.

Welcome aboard - as already mentioned the GZ J-Spec would sort out your requirement for 'leather' but be aware that Japanese spec leather is very poor, it's simply not something they go for over there, the stuff for the export market is generally better.

It's also worth noting that the rear seats on the GZ are "leather effect" rather than the real thing (I believe).

The UK vs J-Spec thing is done to death on a weekly basis, have a read at the FAQ above, try both cars out and have a play with the top_search.gif feature to read opinions on this one, just ignore anything Dude says, he's not normal ;)

Do you have a specific budget in mind? Maybe you could tempt me out of my car?

Guest The Flash

Hi

I moved from a 200SX to a TT Supra about 4 months ago. Like you I was after a UK model, preferably Manual but definitely with the leather and toys!

After a few months looking around, and I dont know your budget of course, I have bought a Jap Spec TT Auto. It has leather (Although I wouldnt know good leather from bad - its just leather to me) and all the other gizmos you could want - Even Airbrake foldy in mirrors:D

Without boring you to death - and making sure I dont get splinters from this fence I am sitting on - whichever one you get, you will not be dis-appointed - I certainly wasn't and I am still a novice!

Enjoy

Originally posted by Robin1000

I'm struggling to find UK cars for sale, and there are loads of importers out there, can anyone tell me the route they took to buy their car and any issues that arose?

I'd go to a major importer like JIC for a few test drives, but i'd buy privately. This is just a cost issue for me, they offer direct import cars with 3yrs warranty so its a safe way to go but it comes at a price.

There are quite a few import cars that are being sold as one uk owner cars with FSH from import. There are some little problems (and occasionally big) that can occur when the imports are first brought in and converted and these will have been sorted and these people suffer the big depreciation.

There are sometimes large differences in prices for very similar cars. IMO This is due to the fact that the cars are rare and sometimes even dealers just use Parkers guide price to advertise as they are out of touch with the actual market/demand.

The supra is also sometimes in the hands of those with 'more money than, sense' or '...than they know what to do with' and cheap but good cars are there to be had for the patient and quick acting buyer.

People will bleat on about "oh its cheap for a reason" ie its cheap so it must be a shed, but within the damaged repaired and tatty etc cars there are some gems.

Guest Robin1000

Sorry guys, I posted a thread then I actually had to do some work ... spoils the whole day when that happens!!!

Thanks for all the replies, a great help. I wasn't expecting offers for cars, but I forgot to mention I'd like the 6-speed manual. (narrowing my options down even further I know, but it's what I want).

Gonna search for other threads on this subject now.

Thanks again

ROBIN.

HISUPE

with the light its difficult to see them midweek at this time of the year and i should have looked at it the sunday morning really, it was all go til i saw another one! (98 tiptronic high miles but £10.5K)

Trouble is i'm 4 or 5 inline to view this one at the weekend so its looking unlikely i'll get this one.

Keeping my options open:innocent: :D