The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tuning standard supra twin turbo

Guest beefycol

Guest beefycol

im looking a buying a j spec, twin turbo supra. it is ment to be rated at 280bhp. id like to up the power, but still keeping the stock turbos for now.

i was looking at buying the flowing.

550cc injectors

electronic boost controller

fuel cut defender

KnN induction

Remap

dumpvalve

front mount intercooler.

what bhp gains do you think i will get from these mods? im aiming to get 420bhp from these mods, is that realistic? but would like toget upto 500bhp without replacing the stock turbos

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im looking a buying a j spec, twin turbo supra. it is ment to be rated at 280bhp. id like to up the power, but still keeping the stock turbos for now.

550cc injectors

fuel cut defender

KnN induction

Remap

dumpvalve

front mount intercooler.

what bhp gains do you think i will get from these mods? im aiming to get 420bhp from these mods, is that realistic? but would like toget upto 500bhp without replacing the stock turbos

Yes that is realisic but the standard BHP for the TT is 320 bhp.

I wouldn't go with K&N, instead, go with Apexi...

You will also need a double Decat, uprating the stock turbo's to 1.2 bar, a cat back exhaust and a 1.2 bar restrictor ring and when you have

all this installed on your Supra...you have what we call...BPU (Basic Performance Upgrade)

Why do you want 550 cc injectors and Remap just for going BPU though??

Hi.

Im no expert and there are loads of threads on here about raising BHP, but from what I gather you will only be able to raise your power up to around the 390 to 420 at the very best to go higher you would be looking at fitting a single. (By the way thats at the fly wheel).

Bob.

Guest beefycol

i was thinking bigger injectors and remap, so got better fuel delivery resulting in more response and power with the extra mods.

il add decat and restricor ring to my list.

so you think for get the injectors and remap?

ive seen uprated fuel pump on basic power upgrade you think that is worth doing?

single turbo will do one day when i got the money

550cc injectors

fuel cut defender

KnN induction

Remap

dumpvalve

front mount intercooler.

To achieve around 400bhp you don't need to remap or change the injectors, BPU should just about do it. If later on down the line though...

Yes that is realisic but the standard BHP for the TT is 320 bhp.

I wouldn't go with K&N, instead, go with Apexi...

You will also need a double Decat, uprating the stock turbo's to 1.2 bar, a cat back exhaust and a 1.2 bar restrictor ring and when you have

all this installed on your Supra...you have what we call...BPU (Basic Performance Upgrade)

Why do you want 550 cc injectors and Remap just for going BPU though??

The stock figure for the J spec is 280bhp from the factory.

K&N will be fine, it's a very high quality filter which is very under-rated on this forum.

You don't need to uprate the turbos for 1.2 bar, they should be fine if your car is in good nick.

Don't forget new plugs and a fuel pump for BPU.

550cc injectors are a good way to make sure you've always got enough fuel going in, but make sure you have something to control the fuelling and get rid of the lean spot where the turbos swap over. Most people go for a piggy-back system (Greddy E-Manage etc) on their cars due to cost but I went for a standalone ECU when I was BPU and that was fine as well. I only went full ECU swap because I had future plans.

With all of the above you might see 420bhp... probably less but it's worth a shot. When on full chat BPU feels like you have been hit in the back with a train when you reach 4000rpm.

Click on the underlined BPU link.

You cannot remap the stock ECU and bigger injectors are not needed. I'd expect 400BHP max at the fly for BPU. Yes people have got a bit more with cams and aftermarket ECU to tweak things. Even with hybrids 500BHP is probably expecting a bit much.

Go BPU, if you still want more, a single conversion is the next step... but you'll need to spend several thousand more.

Click on the underlined BPU link.

You cannot remap the stock ECU and bigger injectors are not needed. I'd expect 400BHP max at the fly for BPU. Yes people have got a bit more with cams and aftermarket ECU to tweak things. Even with hybrids 500BHP is probably expecting a bit much.

Go BPU, if you still want more, a single conversion is the next step... but you'll need to spend several thousand more.

well said

I was told that most jap spec TT are pushing over 300 more like 310 and the UK was 326 standard:)

It's a much of a muchness. My standard UK TT couldn't keep up with Gatso's standard J-spec TT, yet I leave AndyT's standard J-spec TT standing. I just tell people it was 320 when new, but I have no idea how many horses have escaped in 15 years. :)

To be perfectly honest with you mate, if i were you i would be happy with around 400 - 440bhp mark, and thats going bpu+ still keeping the stock turbo's and still keeping its reliability, besides on these roads having anything over 500bhp and driving it especially when booting it do come with unexpected suprises, my mate who had a fully loaded TT supra is a prime example of too much power and road suprises.

The stock figure for the J spec is 280bhp from the factory.

K&N will be fine, it's a very high quality filter which is very under-rated on this forum.

You don't need to uprate the turbos for 1.2 bar, they should be fine if your car is in good nick.

Don't forget new plugs and a fuel pump for BPU.

550cc injectors are a good way to make sure you've always got enough fuel going in, but make sure you have something to control the fuelling and get rid of the lean spot where the turbos swap over. Most people go for a piggy-back system (Greddy E-Manage etc) on their cars due to cost but I went for a standalone ECU when I was BPU and that was fine as well. I only went full ECU swap because I had future plans.

With all of the above you might see 420bhp... probably less but it's worth a shot. When on full chat BPU feels like you have been hit in the back with a train when you reach 4000rpm.

Really?? I was told a while back that a K&N filter was the one not to go for, i was told Apexi induction filter is the best...

Oh yes, i forgot the colder grade spark plugs and the Fuel pump...

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

Really?? I was told a while back that a K&N filter was the one not to go for, i was told Apexi induction filter is the best...

K&N are on par with Apexi, they are one of the "good" brands. A lot of people use the 4" K&N on singles. I think people don't like them because they aren't Japanese :p

jspec is same power as uk in they 326bhp, just uk turbos can handle more power, and jspec ceramics quick spool up.

No, J specs officially came with 280bhp, as per the OEM manufacturers agreement in place at the time. Anything more than that is pure speculation.

No, J specs officially came with 280bhp, as per the OEM manufacturers agreement in place at the time. Anything more than that is pure speculation.

Exactly. Anyway... why do people always say "I want 500BHP"? Do you know what that feels like? Have you seen the difference in 1/4 mile times between a 500BHP and a 550BHP supra?

What you should really be saying is: " I want a Supra that's fast off the lights and will beat most things up to the legal'ish speed limit" or "I want a drag Supra for Santa Pod and not worried about lag as I don't drive it everyday" or "I want a Supra that will be really fast around the track and nice and responsive, and quick down the straights". Then you can try build a car to match your needs.

Picking a power figure before you know anything about the cars is a little silly. Aim for what you're going to use it for, and then be happy with the dyno reading, whether it's 400BHP or 1000BHP. :cool:

K&N are on par with Apexi, they are one of the "good" brands. A lot of people use the 4" K&N on singles. I think people don't like them because they aren't Japanese :p

Would you recommend a cold air induction system from K&N then??

You're quite right there Gaz, Japenese or not at all... :-D

Ahh thats something i didnt know then, i always thought that the Supra TT was 320 bhp...Well, you learn something new everyday! :-D