The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerocatch Fitting Advice

DodgyRog

Hi, I am in the process of getting a Carbon bonnet off Suprash

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=159479

He hasn't got the old bonnet pin's and I prefer the look of the Aerocatch.

I have done a search and everyone says they are a bitch to fit.

Can anyone that has completed the fitting let me know of the problems they ran into, so I can decide if it's worth the extra effort.

In the pics on the for sale thread the holes for the old clips seem quite close to the edge, do you think this might be an issue when cutting for the Aerocatches.

When doing my search I found lots of pics with bonnet closed, has anyone got any from the underside and of the pin mount.

Any help or advice on this most welcome.:D

Cheers Rog

I read this the other day and meant to reply...but I forgot :D

Anyway, I have the aerocatch flush locking catches. I didn't fit them myself, but my bodyshop guy said he had no problems whatsoever.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you.

The problem you have is the original pins on the bonnet you've bought. The aerocatches can't fit that close to the edge...

pics to follow

I have aerocatch pins mate and they are a pain!!

You need to obviosly bolt the pegs in somewhere, then get the catched exactly in the right place. Also they have to be at a decent angle or they won't close.

You also have to cut away a big hole underneath so you can secure all the nuts to the bottom of the catches.

Not that easy to do if you're not sure, and I can see how you could easily screw it up.

I have aerocatch pins mate and they are a pain!!

You need to obviosly bolt the pegs in somewhere, then get the catched exactly in the right place. Also they have to be at a decent angle or they won't close.

You also have to cut away a big hole underneath so you can secure all the nuts to the bottom of the catches.

Not that easy to do if you're not sure, and I can see how you could easily screw it up.

Sounds like a bodyshop job:( Least I can blame someone else if it goes to cock:rolleyes:

I read this the other day and meant to reply...but I forgot :D

Anyway, I have the aerocatch flush locking catches. I didn't fit them myself, but my bodyshop guy said he had no problems whatsoever.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you.

The problem you have is the original pins on the bonnet you've bought. The aerocatches can't fit that close to the edge...

pics to follow

If I can fit them to the original holes, then I might just stay with the pin and clip system then:(

Not a clean look, but will serve the purpose I guess:rolleyes:

He hasn't got the old bonnet pin's and I prefer the look of the Aerocatch.

Just make sure you buy the Aerocatch 'Super' Flush pins and not the 'Flush' version.

The flush pins are fitted from underneath the bonnet, upwards, so the hole has to be 100% accurate;) (Not good for carbon bonnets IMO)

Just make sure you buy the Aerocatch 'Super' Flush pins and not the 'Flush' version.

The flush pins are fitted from underneath the bonnet, upwards, so the hole has to be 100% accurate;) (Not good for carbon bonnets IMO)

Thanks for that, the factory is only just down the road, so I am very tempted to get some and see if I think it's possible, but I am not going to risk it myself :blink: justt in case;)

Thanks for that, the factory is only just down the road, so I am very tempted to get some and see if I think it's possible, but I am not going to risk it myself :blink: justt in case;)

Good luck Rog,

I have my catches positioned between my headlights but I have seen Aerocatch units placed only a few cm's from the outside of the bonnet (near the wing panels).

Anything can be done but it's just the mounting of the support brackets that will take the time and effort;)

Thanks for the pics, I am going with normal clips for the moment and will look at doing some Aerocatches when I get the car to the bodyshop for my Trial rear;)

If they are confident they can do them close to the edge:blink:

had mine done quite close :D think could have gone a bit closer ;)

Image093.jpg

Image092.jpg

:)

That's about where mine would need to be, the hole is right above the rubber stops, which looks roughly where yours are.

yeah not far off them will try and get a pic when i get home later :) although these are my second set :rolleyes: make sure they line up right and dont force them to close :p