The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Laggy Hybrids?

Lukeyboy2k

I was going to start a BPU thread detailing the work carried out with before and after dyno graphs (OK maybe not as exciting as a single build thread, but more accessible to the average owner). Unfortunately I haven't managed to get that far because it appears turbo1 is knackered. :rolleyes:

I've searced and read a gazillion threads about turbo failure and possible replacements detailing the pros and cons of each. I haven't managed to find all the answers I'm looking for though really.

My car was a standard 1993 Auto RZ (delimited). Along with the usual service requirements I've had the following installed/done:

Larger 4pot/2pot OEM brake system

Geo/tracking etc

Walbro Fuel pump

Thor FCD (which doesn't actually work, but this is a side issue and will be rectified)

AFR gauge

EGT gauge

AEM tru boost controller

Appropriate spark plugs

ARC titanium exhaust system (replaces pretty much everything)

Restrictor ring (if needed) - we didn't get that far.

The options that appeared to me are:

1) Replace with 2nd hand OEM J-spec turbos. Might be OK. Might fail straight away. Comparatively cheap.

2) Replace with new OEM J-spec turbos. Better idea of history, but still might fail straight away. £2000+

3) Have current turbos refurbed by Turbotechnics with steel internals. More lag, no warranty if used over stock boost (defeats the object of BPU). £1120

4) Have current turbos hybridised by Turbotechnics, again with steel internals but with the option of being bigger (more lag), but crucially a 24month or 24,000mile warranty is offered. £1610

5) Go single. Not a viable option for me at the moment - I will possibly buy a pre-built car in a few years time.

Looking at the above options I'm swaying towards option 4. From previous threads I'm getting the opinion that hybrids are deemed a waste of time by many members, but I'm liking the idea of the warranty. I would run the hybrids with the car as it is up to 1.2bar. I think I might need some kind of fuel control (SAFC, standalone, possibly larger injectors), and this isn't really a problem. I gather many people think hybrids are laggier without much benefit compared to J-specs, my main question is......

How laggy would hybrids feel at BPU compared to stock J-specs in an un-modified TT?

I'm aware that specifications of hybrids can vary etc, but having never driven a BPU car with standard ceramics maybe I won't know what I'm missing.

Any thoughts welcome (apart from people telling me to just single it :p).

Well done if you managed to read this far. :)

Hybrids / rebuilds should be no more laggy than stock. In fact, being shiny and new, they will probably pick up faster than your tired old ones. Mine felt like the difference between night and day, with nothing else changed.

Hybrids / rebuilds should be no more laggy than stock. In fact, being shiny and new, they will probably pick up faster than your tired old ones. Mine felt like the difference between night and day, with nothing else changed.

I dont really agree with that tbh, that would only be the case if your oem ones where damaged - they are lighter hence the quicker pickup, no matter how new, steel turbines will take longer to spool

They are laggier imho, but the difference is minimal, the kick from the 2nd turbo is awesome!

And how do you know number one has failed??

It isn't 100% certain yet but there was smoke when under boost during the testdrive after the modifications. A compression test gave favourable results (i.e. engine healthy). The turbos are being removed for inspection.

Why do you reckon that the ceramics may still fail straight away?

I didn't specifically mean the ceramics may fail more than anything else straight away (maybe it reads like that, but anything could fail instantly). They probably have less chance of failing straight away than any of the other options (being new and factory mass produced), but if they did it'd be a bit of a sickener, whereas at least if the hybrids failed I could get them replaced without any further cost (apart from labour).

Thanks to everyone else for their input so far - I thought there may be a few differences in opinion. :innocent: