The mkiv Supra Owners Club

headlight bulbs

Paul372

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm being an idiot... just to run through this again :)

So my car is JSpec and I went into Halfrauds yesterday, flicked through their book and came out with 9006, but the lugs were too big and it wouldn't fit, so I returned it and thought I'd check what you lot thought.

I should buy 9005? - and non-J spec fitting is OK? Will I have to trim the lugs? and if so what do people use to go that? Knowing me I'll smash the bulb... :D

Incidentally the bulb I pulled out looks original!? Toyota bulbs have a 12 year lifespan!? :blink:

Thanks Nic ;)

when you say 'harness'...? the plastic bits where it screws in or the connector? sorry....

What's the crack with HIDs? I take it they're more work than just putting bulbs in? I searched but there is that much on them I lost the will to live :D

Thanks Nic ;)

when you say 'harness'...? the plastic bits where it screws in or the connector? sorry....

What's the crack with HIDs? I take it they're more work than just putting bulbs in? I searched but there is that much on them I lost the will to live :D

Where it plugs into the wiring harness, ie where the eletrickery lights the bulb.

The 3 tabs where it locates into the headlight are slightly different, but you'll be able to get them to fit without modifying.

HID's are very easy to fit, there is just a ballast pack between the wiring harness and the bulb. The ballast pack is the metal box shown here.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/425/hidenoncombpicvp7.jpg

OK, HIDs now.

Are there set places in the engine bay to mount the ballast bits? or is everyone fashioning their own brackets and the like? :D

So the connecting into the existing bulb plugs, into the ballast, requires no modification? and that's the only connection it has? no connection to the battery or whatever?

Should we do an infomercial on HIDs and I'll be the stupid sceptical guy? when they work I'll do the big, 'why thats amazing, I can see much better when I drive!' We could get Christmas jumpers to wear, it'll be amazing :D

What is it with people and bulbs?

When I needed some for my J-Spec I just picked up the correct bulb and it went in without a problem. No filing, no lug trimming, nothing.

Weird.

I was sort of hoping that would be the case.... I'll get some 9005's from Halfrauds and see how it goes.

Stay tuned.

Nic's tempted me with pictures of electrical equipment now :blink: Dam, his pimping ways.

OK, still have a problem - I'm driving around with one headlight like a complete pikey.

I've so far tried 9006 and 9005 bulbs (yes, from Halfords) and neither fit.

I can't seem to find this 'J' fitting thing anywhere :search: - anyone got a link?

I'm going to get a HID kit from Mr Knight-Racer when they have stock in, but I obviously need a bulb nowish.

Martin - have you got a link to the ones you got please mate?

Do I have to trim the lugs on these things? surely there must be a bulb I can just plug in?!