The mkiv Supra Owners Club

painting rims

Roy

Thanks mate

Have you tried a company called Pristine wheels I think they are based in the South.

Where did you get yours from?

Are you happy with them & what make tyres you runnin.

Sorry for all the questions, I've been thinking of getting new rims for mine for about a year now, but can't yet decide.

Ta

Rich

richard - pls fell free to ask all the questions you like. i am currently running pirelli p-zero rossos on them. i got mine thru justin at torque ic who rang the main importer here (sori but can't remember the name - think it was DP Motorsports?) and got them at a good price. i got the tyres from micheldever also at a pretty good price and so was well happy overall.

funny enough - i have been thinking of selling the rims/tyres and upgrading to 19''s (with slightly larger rear tyres) but have been (a) unable to find the (rare) rims i want in that size nor (b) the (hard-to-come-by) tyres i really want in that size either. bah ...i'm sure given my luck, it will be far too expensive anyways for now! not sure what to do really .... i think if i cannot get what i really want, i will stick with them for now.

i am very happy with the rims and when really polished and set-off against a black car that has been lowered - it really looks the biz IMO. the 2nd pic barely does them justice ! BTW - thanks for the heads up on pristine as well ...

if you would like more pics - i'll have a trawl through and see what i can come up with.

TDraper - thank you very mcuh for your kind words and i am indeed looking at painting the spokes and keeping the rim a polished silver ..... :)

picture 064med.jpg

Roy, i guess if someones going to paint the rims they will need them for a few days at least. Pic below is how mine turned out after Kevin Huntley polished the rims and painted the centres. Can't remeber how much the exact cost for the centres were but it was less than half of what Pristine wanted. The overnight delivery for the wheels (if you can be without them) wasn't expensive either.

refurb.jpg

Originally posted by ad500

Roy, i guess if someones going to paint the rims they will need them for a few days at least. Pic below is how mine turned out after Kevin Huntley polished the rims and painted the centres. Can't remeber how much the exact cost for the centres were but it was less than half of what Pristine wanted. The overnight delivery for the wheels (if you can be without them) wasn't expensive either.

thanks adam. they look really good. pity kevin is not doing this these days so will check with simon (baldy) in the morning. do you recall what pristine wanted to do the job offhand (ballpark figure?)

Originally posted by Roy

pity kevin is not doing this these days so will check with simon (baldy) in the morning. do you recall what pristine wanted to do the job offhand (ballpark figure?)

Never new that Roy, definatley a bit of a shame:( Pristine wanted about £40+vat for each centre, kev did it for £20.

i have some volk racin split rims i would like to use for drag wheels

they are wrong offset and stud pattern but i would like to split them down and refurbish on the cheap

want to strip wheels down and get spokes painted black, would you get a good finish with hammerite smooth black?

also want to polish rim or better still get some chrome tape to give the polished look. would you need to do anything when you put back together would no nails mastik be a good sealer?

i dont mind giving it a go rather than pay £30 a wheel to get refurbished