The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brighton speed trials

CarlT67

Yes, entry 118 could be someone off here...?

Just read through the requirements and you have to have some sort of race licence to run.

Yes - entry number 118 is me. I have entered the Brighton Speed Trials for a number of years and always have a great time. The event is run over a 1/4 mile down Madeira Drive on the saeafront in Brighton. Spectators line the promanade above the track so there is always a great atmosphere.

There is always a wide range of interesting cars taking part and you can walk around the pits to get a close look at the cars.

The event is run as a Sprint under RAC Motor Sport Association rules - which are bit more demanding than Run What Ya Brung events at Santa Pod. This mean you need an MSA licence, helmet and firesuit. I run the Supra in the class for Roadgoing and Modified cars over 3000cc. For roadgoing cars the main modification required is a timing strut fixed to the front of the car.

In terms of engine mods anything goes so long as the engine block is the same as supplied with the car (although nitrous oxide is not allowed). The track surface at Brighton is a normal road so it is nowhere as grippy as a proper drag strip (like Santa Pod). It also is cambered and fairly bumpy at the top end! They also run the event regardless of the weather!

Hope this helps - hope to see you at Brighton!

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
Yes - entry number 118 is me. I have entered the Brighton Speed Trials for a number of years and always have a great time.

Is this your first time in the Supra?

I run the Supra in the class for Roadgoing and Modified cars over 3000cc.

Simon

I suppose technically you could run in a lower class, given the 2997CC, but it's better to have a challenge ;)

Mike