The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

Ok, well some of you have no doubt seen this thread started by Eric at TTC Performance

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=157676

I'm now starting a build thread for the whole car as the project has snowballed into more than just fitting a snarling V8. The goal now is to keep the stock looking exterior, save for wheels and a little something extra in the factory colour. Couple that with a full interior trim to make the inside a very nice place to be. My ponchant (spelling) for quality tunes will be met, but in a stealthy install (most of this is already done). Oh, and I'm converting the auto to a 6 speed.

I'll post some pics of the car as it is now, and as things progress. The deadline is for Suprapod '08. I'm really gonna try and keep to this, but I'm doing a lot of work myself so we'll see how it goes.

Thats it for now, will update as and when. Exciting days ahead... :D

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics as promised. I meant to take some proper ones of the standard car looking nice after a wash and polish but never got around to it. You get the idea though. Before the jibes, yes its finished in MSB. It will be staying that colour too, 'cos I like it :p.

First one is condition as I bought it 2.5 years ago. Odo read 41,500 and was a nice clean example, save for a couple of small jobs. Cost me £5500. Perhaps a little pricey, but I was relatively new to the scene.

Second is after indicator upgrade to facelift and clear side repeaters and headlight refurb with insides matched to body colour.

Next is at Toddington services last year before Suprapod (I didn't run just watched).

Then we have one of a recent wheel refurb by Ibrar, and finally on the stands having tein super streets fitted. Also shows the front lip painted, much better than black.

I'll get some more up when I can work out how to attach from my Aperture library :confused:

bronze-supra.jpg

SV400007_2.jpg

468063459_15b4739fc9_o.jpg

17042008012.jpg

12042008011.jpg

\o/ The best colour - but I'm biased (along with RSP...my other colour).

That car was owned by another person on here before I remember being tempted!

To add a picture that's online just right click on it and get it's address then bung it in the text with and at the start and end.

No chance of that. Keeping stock look, possibly without spoiler, not decided on that yet. Looks lovely on some cars (especially your old one), but not sure it suits standard rear bumper. Some other minor mods including removal of badges, ariel and rear wiper, rain guard things on doors too as drivers one is cracked. New glass and seals all round as its starting to show wear and some nasty scratches. Oh, and I need some sort of better mount for the front number plate. Decisions, decisions....

Having a few problems with the colour at the moment though. Effect of the pearl is not what I was expecting. May have to change plans a bit, will keep ya posted on this.

I thought about doing the heater matrix, might as well, eh? Yes it is being converted to manual. The engine will be coming with an adapter to fit the standard V160 'box. I can't wait to have my gears back. In fact that was the main reason for all of this, missing the 'driving' part of owning a nice motor.

After seeing, and now hearing Eric's, I must say I am. However, my budget is already gone with the extra stuff I'm already doing and the original objective was to keep it tractable for an everyday car. If the need takes me, its always something I can do later.

i removed all the sound deadening mats from under the carpet and behind the dash, saved about 60kg in total weight, and the only extra sound i got was of the engine which then sounded great even witha standard exhaust . . . might be an idea while the dash is out? and carpet stripped

also rear seatbelts and general otehr stuff thats not really necessary too

;)

Hmm, thats quite the opposite to me. I've been putting more sound deadening and foam in, to combat road, tyre, wind and vibration noise. I like it luxury car quiet so I can hear my tunes better. I'm thinking of putting some lightweight seats in to reclaim some of the extra weight.

Interior is now at Gibson Trimming, but I have yet to start on stripping the rest of the car. Been on early shifts and they kill me. Going to do some work on it this weekend as I'm off for a change. Some delays getting all the parts I need at the moment but should be sorted soon, then all the fun really begins.

A few more pics. First bits of the interior in the van; sealed arches, not sure what difference it will make; carbing strut brace probably won't clear intake on V8, shame; one of the dash panels wrapped in alcantara - ooooh so smooooth (again by Vince, top job).

DSC_0084.jpg

Sealed arch.jpg

Sealed arch close up.jpg

Strut brace.jpg

Stereo panel.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not much has been happening on the car itself lately so no major updates I'm afraid. I've been spending most of my time sourcing parts, still, and sorting out the final details for the shipping of the engine and gearbox from the states. Let me tell you, its a major headache trying to get everything where its supposed to be on the right day before the boat sails. Lots of emails and phone calls etc., but at least I'm working with people who know what they're doing and are very helpful, i.e. Eric at TTC performance and Dusty at MVP. I can't recommend these guys enough, thanks chaps :thumbs:

Anyway, all being good these major components should sail around the 24th september, and if that happens (fingers crossed) I can expect delivery around mid october. I should also get some parts from Nic (:thumbs:) around this time too, so I can get on and start putting things back together.

Meanwhile, I've been plugging away getting all the bits off the engine to take it out the car. Latest breakthrough was getting the rusted/seized bolts off the exhaust and removing the system. What a pig of a job, had to use my trusty angle grinder in the end. Still, with that done its onto removal of the main engine unit and transmission. I may drain the gearbox oil and split it from the engine to make things a bit easier. I'll let ya know how I get with that and will update with some pics when I get a chance.

Thats it for now. :)