The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can you believe it? T67 may be dead...

Mike B

I had a failure of my Apexi EGT guage...

thought it was something electrical in the sensor, but took it out yesterday as I was in there sealing the oil feed..

Guess what?

Half of it is missing.

I just dread looking inside the turbine.

Car still drives fine, but the spool *may* be a bit slower... hard to tell.

If I have the heart I'll take the dp off this weekend and have a look.

can you believe it...?

sensor never saw over 870 degrees.

I have so many bad experiences with aftermarket parts. The only things that fail on my car are non toyota items.

Feel for you, but on the brighter side if there is any damage it shouldn't be too bad as you've not noticed anything really yet (perf wise).

True... and it does pull well still in top gears at low revs, yet I'm a perfectionist, and knowing it's there will be enough to know I want it sorted!

thank feck I didn't buy the to4z... lol

then I would be crying!!!!

I feel your pain.

My turbo isn't so great either, but i have never noticed any performace drop, not boosting at later revs etc, it only see's 1.1bar and 1% wot. So with mine i can only assume it was like that when it was put on, last june!!

Hope yours isn't as bad as you think it is, or like others say, the majority of damage was already there from the gt4088 :thumbs:

cheers guys...

Probe was whole when I fitted the T67, it's definately gone through this tubby. GT4088R ate itself, which is a noval trick!

My mind maybe playing games but I can feel less midrange.

anyone care to take a wager what it looks like when it comes off? lol

To be fair, if it's been playing thunderball with the egt probe then it's done well to be still running!

At least I will only be buying a core this time.. if it can't be rebuilt...

the rate I am going I need a tubby with 5 spare turbine wheels.

; All joking aside, if they were bolt on I would save myself a lot of money.... why don't they make then I wonder?

Fingers crossed it's just gone through the wastegate, but if there is a difference in spool/power it's not a positive sign :( What a nightmare you're having with this Mike.

I still never understood the argument for mounting the EGT sensor in the runner rather than the collector/wastegate tube (where it can do no turbo damage if it fails). EGT's are only going to be at an area you need to look at while under full boost, i.e. when the wastegate is fully open and exhaust gases passing over it...

sorry think ive read it wrong, is the egt sensor attached to the manifold or the downpipe?

manifold bud....

EGT's are only going to be at an area you need to look at while under full boost, i.e. when the wastegate is fully open and exhaust gases passing over it...

that's a good point! although it's nice to see the guage working under constant gas flow, but in retrospect I agree :rolleyes:

I am a very lucky boy!!!!!

Uncoupled the downpipe and took a peep around the corner with a piece of broken mirror and a torch…

There is the turbine….

Had a shift around can see all the blades, so I start turning them one by one…. All perfect!!! Woo hoo!

Looking at runner no 6 it’s virtually opposite one of the two pipes that feed the wastegate, so the probe has gone out of the gate.

I’m surprised it went through without jamming it open… it’s functionally fine from what I can tell.

Dodged that one….

Now for a new decent probe…